Smartphone S21 Ultra + FilmicPro + Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cobra427

Smartphone S21 Ultra + FilmicPro + Resolve

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:07 am

I tried this combo as an alternative for usual gear I carry around. Great for random shooting and light travel.
The S21 Ultra and FilmicPro give you the opportunity for 10 bit. Everybody sees this as a great upgrade. I found problems that suggest otherwise. Shooting in 10 bit disables the internal gpu that is used. Colors and other things in the picture are way off. Luckily you have 10 bits and thus extra headroom to make changes. I never got it as good looking as shooting in 8 bit (using the internal gpu). I prefer to have it as good as possible out of the device and before it is compressed.
8 bit uses the internal gpu and the picture looks much better to begin with. The need for corrections is much smaller. Unfortunately you cannot use logV3 as it is only 10 bit. You have to use logv2 or 'natural'.
In Resolve you can use the FilmicPro-LUT. This will probably work on other phones, but not on clips shot with my phone. I have to correct manually. So, I went back to using 8 bit. It gives me a better picture and much less work in post.

FilmicPro says it does constant frame rate, but it does not. Albeit much less, it still has a bit of variation in the framesrate (source is Mediainfo). Resolve seems to have no problem with this small variation. Audio and video are still in sync.
(FilmicPro gives me the opportunity to lock the shutterspeed, exposure, choose framerate and so on. That is great. I wil keep on using this app. An alternative would be McPro24 fps)
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Uli Plank

Re: Smartphone S21 Ultra + FilmicPro + Resolve

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 am

FiLMiC Pro is good, but it can't change the fact that smartphones are recording VFR. If you have no problems, it's probably due to relatively short clips.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

cobra427

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 10:32 am

for longer clips I can convert to cfr using Handbrake or Shutter Encode. I guess more and more people will be using smartphones to record video (for good results you still need a dedicated camera). I hope future models will record 10 bit cfr.
Intel i7-12700, 32 Gb, Corsair watercooling, 1 ssd for OS and NLE, 1 ssd for projects, 2x harddisk for archiving, NVidia 3080. Windows 11 2x 4k screen. Mainly 4k clips

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm

Well, there's always hope. But even the expensive iPhone, while recording 10 bit, is still VFR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve