Workflow for cutting up audio from a long audio file?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

popomology

Workflow for cutting up audio from a long audio file?

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:40 am

Hello.

I am working on an audio file that looks like this:

I need to cut up bits of the audio and put in the video.

My current workflow:

In the edit page I have the audio file open on the media pool timeline and when I need a bit of audio I Mark In and Mark Out around the audio I need then drag it down onto the timeline.

My problem:

It can be cumbersome to navigate around the 4-minute audio file. Sometimes I work with even longer files and it gets even more cumbersome.

What I really want to do is zoom in on the waveform on the top so I can do more precise scrolling and be more precise with my audio cutting but I can't seem to do that?

It doesn't even allow me to drag the playhead on the bottom waveform like I can on the top. I CAN drag the playhead below it but it isn't precise as I'd like it to be. I come from Premiere and in it's media pool timeline it would allow me to zoom in on the audio file so I can do more precise audio cutting.

(I hope I explained my problem clearly and if I didn't please let me know)

Anyone have a suggestion? Should I be using a different page? Is something that I said wasn't possible actually possible and I just don't know it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Bennett

Re: Workflow for cutting up audio from a long audio file?

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Try the Fairlight page, working with audio is what it's designed for. ;)
I would suggest you look at the Fairlight section of the training videos provided by Blackmagic.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/training
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Peter Cave

Re: Workflow for cutting up audio from a long audio file?

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 12:33 am

There is a zoom tool top left of the Source Viewer. This zooms the main waveform display. Navigate using the special slider underneath the main waveform. The top view is ALWAYS the entire file.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve