Poor screen use on Mac

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mcandre

Poor screen use on Mac

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 6:23 pm

DaVinci Resolve applies an inappropriate window size on macOS. Specifically, the final render tab is way too long to show the whole Resolve application window on a standard 14" MacBook Pro.

Please reduce the horizontal size of the render tab. Honestly, there aren't even that many UI elements there compared to the other tabs. This view should be the easiest one of them all to shorten.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Poor screen use on Mac

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:35 am

Please provide more detail.
Are you using full screen mode?

On my 14" M1 i dont see any issue.
What screen res are you using?
Which specific panel is too big in your view?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:29 am

mcandre wrote:DaVinci Resolve applies an inappropriate window size on macOS. Specifically, the final render tab is way too long to show the whole Resolve application window on a standard 14" MacBook Pro. Please reduce the horizontal size of the render tab. Honestly, there aren't even that many UI elements there compared to the other tabs. This view should be the easiest one of them all to shorten.

I think -- to me -- 14" is not an optimum screen for Resolve. Technically, it will run on anything starting with 1680x1050, but I think it's not great until you hit about HD resolution (1920x1080). The 16" MacBook Pro can do 2056x1329, which is better still.

Try to Reset GUI on the Render page and see if that makes all the elements visible on your screen.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:46 am

I don’t think the 14” is a good solution for any demanding software, and DR is ver demanding on your hardware. Even with it’s low power consumption the 14” with the stronger GPU will throttle under full load.
The 16” will not throttle if you take the 24 core version.
Anyway, they’ll still be very quiet compared to their Intel counterparts.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve