Resolve 17 Upgrade - CUDA 11 error window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

iDavis

Resolve 17 Upgrade - CUDA 11 error window

PostSat Dec 19, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi,

today I decided to update my Davinci Resolve 16 to Davinci Resolve 17, installation went successfuly, however, after I try to open the software, the window saying following appears:

GPU Configuration Warning
Davinci Resolve is using OpenCL for image processing because the installed NVIDIA driver does not support CUDA 11.0. Upgrade your NVIDIA drive for optimal performance. Alternatively you can manually select OpenCL processing mode to run in the current configuration.

After I press the "Update Configuration" button it redirects to this window:

The OpenCL option is already preset, and I can´t change it to anything else. There are 2 graphic cards displayed, however only the second one can be used.

Therefore, I cannot change much in this window and so I can´t find a way to get around the error message while starting Davinci Resolve 17. Do you have any idea of what should I do in order to run this version 17?

Thanks.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 17 Upgrade - CUDA 11 error window

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 8:05 am

Try updating the GPU driver as per the readme
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

iDavis

PostMon Dec 21, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks. Can you please give me more information on that? Where should I find the readme file? When I try to update my GPU driver using System devices overview, I always only get a message saying "The newest updates have already been installed". Should I look for any in some other sources, e.g. Nvidia website or similar? Would that work for this kind of problem?

julespfz

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 2:48 pm

You need to install CUDA Toolkit 11.0 - https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-11.0-download-archive
Last edited by julespfz on Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 4:29 pm

On Windows, the normal Display Driver includes all the necessary CUDA libraries for Resolve to function properly. You can get that in both the Gaming and Studio drivers.

Installing CUDA specific tools on Windows has caused issues with Resolve in the past. It's not recommended.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

PierreS

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 5:25 pm

iDavis wrote:Thanks. Can you please give me more information on that? Where should I find the readme file? When I try to update my GPU driver using System devices overview, I always only get a message saying "The newest updates have already been installed". Should I look for any in some other sources, e.g. Nvidia website or similar? Would that work for this kind of problem?

The latest driver for your board is available here
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 7762/en-us

You will find the "Readme" file
C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Documents
Resolve Studio 17.2.1 - Win 10 - 2x E5-2690@2.9Ghz - 96GB - RTX2060S - Driver 471.11 Studio

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 11:41 pm

What Pierre and Jim said.

And DON'T install the CUDA toolkit.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

kyle.howerton

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 11:24 pm

I'm getting the same error on a new edit machine with a Quadro rtx4000, which I thought was CUDA enabled? I can't seem to find anywhere to update the driver on the card either...

Screenshot 2021-02-26 152306.png
Screenshot 2021-02-26 152306.png (82.39 KiB) Viewed 21430 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Mar 01, 2021 7:33 pm

In the Resolve Help menu, select Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop.

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart

BipinVarma

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:47 am

I had both CUDA and OpenCL on my windows on V16. When I upgraded to 17, can not find CUDA. I am using two 690 cards. On my linux workstation, when I upgraded the nvidia drivers, it works. I can't open or import any of my projects presently. Could you please suggest some solutions.
Thank you
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210430-010532.zip
Resolve Info
(154.86 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Bipin Varma

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 2:18 pm

The GTX 690 may be too old for use in any version past 16.2.8.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 pm

GTX 600 series cards do not support CUDA 11, so won't work with any Resolve version above 16.2.6.

It will sort of work in OpenCL mode, but poorly, and likely with undesirable artifacts, like black viewer windows if you use LUTs.

Highly suggest you replace the GPU with one that supports CUDA 11, or stick with Resolve 16.2.6.
Dwaine Maggart

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 10, 2021 9:54 am

This table shows CUDA compute capability for v3.5, which is what you need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

GTX670 is v3.0 so not in NVIDIAs 3.5 framework
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

reimagineproductions

PostSun May 16, 2021 12:38 pm

I can confirm with my GTX 645 upgrading 16.2.6 does not work, because it does not support opencl, only CUDA

I was trying to switch from Premiere Pro.. but now I can't upgrade Resolve unless someone has another work around

What specifically changed in version 17.2 to make this a problem?

I am glad Adobe never does this with their updates.. I think if Blackmagic does not resolve this, it will lose a lot of people.

Anyone have a way besides switching gpu's ?

Thanks
Dwaine Maggart wrote:GTX 600 series cards do not support CUDA 11, so won't work with any Resolve version above 16.2.6.

It will sort of work in OpenCL mode, but poorly, and likely with undesirable artifacts, like black viewer windows if you use LUTs.

Highly suggest you replace the GPU with one that supports CUDA 11, or stick with Resolve 16.2.6.

ODubhlainn

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 7:43 pm

Hey Dwaine,

I installed Resolve 17.4.3 last night on my Win10, and I've been having some trouble.

Initially, when I installed it initially and tried to open it, it popped up and ask me for my user preferences (i.e. keyboard layout) and which resolution project I'd like to start. Then the window disappeared and it wouldn't open for me again.

After doing the following, I was able to open Resolve again:
Reinstall
Disabled Windows firewall
Checked the required ports are not in use with Powershell
Update all drivers inc. Nvidia GeForce/Quadro Series Graphcs driver
Update Dell XPS 15 9550 BIOS
Update Intel HD/Iris/Iris Pro Graphics driver

Now when I open Resolve, I get the popup warning that

"Resolve is using OpenCL for image processing because the installed Nvidia driver doesn't support CUDA 11.0. Upgrade your NVIDIA driver for optimal performance. Alternatively you can manually select OpenCL processing mode to run in the current configuration"

When I click "Update Configuration" it takes me to a system preferences where OpenCL is already selected by default and I can't change it.

Since I already updated my Nvidia driver, what could I do about this?

Here are both my Resolve logs zip, and my system .NFO file:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Many thanks,
D

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:52 pm

You have a very old NVIDIA driver installed: 442.70

Install the current 511.23 driver.

Then Resolve may still have issues with the Intel driver you have installed.

But lets start with a current NVIDIA driver and see what happens. If you still have issues after updating the NVIDIA driver, send another Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

ODubhlainn

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:05 pm

Dwaine,

Thank you so so much!

I previously updated all drivers from the Dell support website, and I figured that would update the Nvidia driver for me too (it did specifically include an update for "Nvidia GeForce/Quadro Series Graphcs driver v26.21.14.4270, A21")

Then, just after I read your message, I opened an app called "GeForce Experience". It has a drivers tool that lets you update drivers there too, and it said I indeed had another Nvidia update. I let it download and install and BINGO I can now start making films in Resolve :) :)

So I guess for anyone with a Dell (or Nvidia GPU?) - try installing the driver from the "GeForce Experience" app - seems to be more reliable than the Dell support site!

As for the Intel driver, I haven't had another issue yet, but if I do I'll post again.

Sincere thanks Dwaine, I can't describe the relief.

Return to DaVinci Resolve