Apple store version wont open

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

jacenk

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 pm
  • Real Name: Jason Kraynek

Apple store version wont open

PostFri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 pm

Purchased the apple studio store version years back, worked just fine then but haven't used it in a bit. Now that I need it- it won't even load (crashes each time after getting to the load splash screen). Downloaded the free version directly from Davinci and loads fine but I don't have my studio options I purchased.

Apple says they can't do anything about it as 'Its not their app' and also won't give me a key as 'Davinci doesn't provide that to purchases from the store'.

Davinci keeps telling me 'We are looking into it and will get back to you for a month now.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

iMac Monterey version 12.1
Online

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 13793
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am
  • Location: Germany and Indonesia

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 12:52 am

Did you try to completely delete it and load it anew from the AppStore?
If even the download doesn't work, it's up to Apple to fix it!
The software may be free, but the hardware needed for smooth performance is not.

Resolve Studio 17.4.6 , MacOS 12.3.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor
Offline

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 11833
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 am

If u have an App Store Resolve Studio license you can only use the App Store version of studio, and vic-a-versa re the BMD web site version and license.

You don’t mention your hardware details so we can’t guess if that’s an issue, so try from the App Store, download and install the current version and follow up from there.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Offline
User avatar

Mark Foster

  • Posts: 1661
  • Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:59 am
  • Location: austria - no kangaroos +g*

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:40 am

i will never understand why blackmagic also sells the studio version in the apple store.
it shouldn't be because of the profit ;- )
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 11.6.5
BMPCC 6k pro (7.5.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 17.4.6
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)
Offline

jacenk

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 pm
  • Real Name: Jason Kraynek

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:29 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Did you try to completely delete it and load it anew from the AppStore?
If even the download doesn't work, it's up to Apple to fix it!


Yes deleted everything multiple times, even went into the hidden folders and deleted things. Apple refuses to fix it or give me a refund and told me to just 'contact the developer'. My last call with Blackmagic was yesterday where they told me that 'someone should get back to you, it just may take a while, maybe look online for a fix'.

So basically no help from either other than what I have already done prior to/and since contacting them.
Offline

jacenk

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 pm
  • Real Name: Jason Kraynek

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Jan 29, 2022 10:34 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If u have an App Store Resolve Studio license you can only use the App Store version of studio, and vic-a-versa re the BMD web site version and license.

You don’t mention your hardware details so we can’t guess if that’s an issue, so try from the App Store, download and install the current version and follow up from there.


Apple said they don't have the license or key to give me cause 'Blackmagic doesn't provide it to them, they just purchase a block keychain from you and cant give me a separate key' - I have asked Blackmagic directly to just either give me a discount with my proof of purchase from the apple store, or give me a download credit or something but no word yet.

As for hardware details:

Model Name: iMac Pro
Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1
Processor Name: 18-Core Intel Xeon W
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 18
L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB
L3 Cache: 24.8 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 128 GB
System Firmware Version: 1715.60.5.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.10647.0.0,0)
OS Loader Version: 540.60.2~89
Offline

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 11833
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 6:35 am

What macOS is installed?
Which GPU do you have?
You have a license for the App store version and not the BMD web site version so which App Store version is installed? If not the latest Studio version please try that.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager
Offline

jacenk

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 pm
  • Real Name: Jason Kraynek

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 6:33 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:What macOS is installed?
Which GPU do you have?
You have a license for the App store version and not the BMD web site version so which App Store version is installed? If not the latest Studio version please try that.


Installed the latest version from the apple store 17.4.3 (uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times in the past week now- ended up downloading the free version from Blackmagic for the time being as I'm grading a project and need the program at least to start till I can get my studio version back)


GPU
Chipset Model: Radeon Pro Vega 64
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6860
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-D0500D-114
VBIOS Version: 113-D05001A1XT-018
Option ROM Version: 113-D05001A1XT-018
EFI Driver Version: 01.01.114
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: Retina 5K (5120 x 2880)
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: Internal
Offline
User avatar

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 9012
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostThu Feb 03, 2022 8:30 am

Since we can't use our normal diagnostic tools on App Store Resolve issues, we'll have to do some things the hard way.

Open Finder. We need to go to folders that are hidden in the normal Finder view. So we will use the Finder Go - Go to Folder menu to get to these hidden folders.

In the Finder menus at the top, select the Go menu, and in that, select the Go to Folder menu. Copy and paste this path into "Go to the folder: entry area:

~/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library/Application Support

In the Application Support folder, you'll see a logs folder. Right click the logs folder and select Compress. That will create a logs.zip file. Send us that file.

Then in the Finder Go - Go to Folder - Go to the folder entry area, copy and paste this line:

~/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library

In the Library folder, you'll see a Preferences folder. Right click the Preferences folder and select Compress. That will create a Preferences.zip file. Send us that file.

Once we have those 2 .zip files, we can hopefully see what's going wrong.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support
Offline

jacenk

  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:29 pm
  • Real Name: Jason Kraynek

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Since we can't use our normal diagnostic tools on App Store Resolve issues, we'll have to do some things the hard way.

Open Finder. We need to go to folders that are hidden in the normal Finder view. So we will use the Finder Go - Go to Folder menu to get to these hidden folders.

In the Finder menus at the top, select the Go menu, and in that, select the Go to Folder menu. Copy and paste this path into "Go to the folder: entry area:

~/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library/Application Support

In the Application Support folder, you'll see a logs folder. Right click the logs folder and select Compress. That will create a logs.zip file. Send us that file.

Then in the Finder Go - Go to Folder - Go to the folder entry area, copy and paste this line:

~/Library/Containers/com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolveAppStore/Data/Library

In the Library folder, you'll see a Preferences folder. Right click the Preferences folder and select Compress. That will create a Preferences.zip file. Send us that file.

Once we have those 2 .zip files, we can hopefully see what's going wrong.


I sent these files to Byron Bonifassi 1/4/22, never heard back from him
The 'logs' folder didn't exist in my finder, but sent him a system report
Since then I've been dealing with Dmitry Kitsov, who frankly has been pretty rude and accused me of not following the steps he sent over after they didn't work.
At this point I was going to screen record doing the steps (again) to prove that it still doesn't load, but if there is a way I can send them to you as well - please let me know how
Offline
User avatar

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 9012
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Re: Apple store version wont open

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 8:18 pm

If Resolve ever ran, then the logs folder has to exist. Make sure you are following the instructions and pasting the provided string into the Finder Go to folder menu.

If that's not working, then yes, a screen recording of what you are doing would be helpful.

You can provide files here by putting them on a file sharing site, and providing a link to the files.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dazzer, Google Feedfetcher, rdtxszcf821, Robert Niessner and 65 guests