What's the best way to shift clips on the timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

InfiniteLove

What's the best way to shift clips on the timeline?

PostMon May 16, 2022 2:44 am

I couldn't fit the whole title, if I could it would have been:
What's the best way to shift clips down the timeline when adjusting the size of another clip?

Check out my timeline:
editor.png
editor with lots of clips
editor.png (15.46 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

The clip I currently have selected, the audio is unfortunately cut off a bit. I want to drag the right edge a bit and make it a bit longer so it's not clipped. However, doing so overwrites the clip adjacent to it on the right side. Is there a simple way to adjust the duration of the clip and automatically shift the following clips on the timeline down the same amount? Currently, I have to drag my mouse and select all the clips after the one I want to adjust (is there not a way to select a current clip and press a button to select all the ones after it???), move them down the timeline a bit to make space, then reselect the clip I want to adjust, increase the duration to my liking, then reselect all the other clips I moved down and drag them to the edge of the clip I just adjusted. Is there not an easier way?

'Change clip duration' isn't really a good tool because I don't know the precise time I need to adjust them so I'd rather just eyeball it on the timeline itself, plus it doesn't push the following clips on the timeline down, it overwrites them in a way I don't understand (not the same as TRIM OUT, for example).

I have the speed editor if that helps provide a solution. I've been trying some of the functions but none seem to do quite what I want.
SLIP DEST - pressing and holding it allows me to use the jogwheel to adjust the timing of the clip within its existing placement on the timeline
TRIM IN - pressing and holding it allows me to use the jogwheel to adjust the start position of a clip on the timeline
TRIM OUT - pressing and holding it allows me to use the jogwheel to adjust the end position of a clip on the timeline
ROLL/SLIDE - pressing this appears to do nothing in itself. pressing and holding appears to be the same as TRIM IN
SPLIT/MOVE - pressing and holding it allows me to use the jogwheel to adjust the positions of the entire clip on the timeline (but it will ignore other clips and overwrite them, rather than pushing them down to make space)

Basically I would like TRIM OUT but instead of overlapping adjacent clips I would like to move them further down the timeline to make space for the size of the clip I'm adjusting.

Thank you for your help.
Running DaVinci Resolve Studio v17.4.5 build 7 (Windows/MSVC x86_64)
Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6GHz
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Peter Cave

Re: What's the best way to shift clips on the timeline?

PostMon May 16, 2022 3:20 am

Check out the User Manual section on trimming. Page 772 in the Resolve 18 PDF.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.18.40 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.18.40 pm.png (256.12 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Resolve 18.6.2 Mac OSX 13.6 Ventura
Mac Studio Max 32GB UltraStudio Monitor 3G

poporacer

PostMon May 16, 2022 4:45 am

If you select the Trim edit mode, you can select the edge of the audio track and drag it to where you want and it will Ripple (move everything down)
trim-edit.jpg
trim-edit.jpg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
If to err is human, I am super human!
DVR Studio 18.1
Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
48GB Ram
NVidia RTX 4070 TI

InfiniteLove

PostMon May 16, 2022 9:22 pm

poporacer wrote:If you select the Trim edit mode, you can select the edge of the audio track and drag it to where you want and it will Ripple (move everything down)
trim-edit.jpg

Awesome, thank you that was exactly what I needed. :D :D :D
Running DaVinci Resolve Studio v17.4.5 build 7 (Windows/MSVC x86_64)
Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6GHz
32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz
RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve