Playing back non-standard footage on external monitor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PhotoJoseph

Playing back non-standard footage on external monitor

PostTue May 10, 2022 12:14 am

I have a timeline built at 5760×4320 [4:3 aspect ratio] (in Resolve 18, but I assume this is the same on 17 so not posting in the beta forum), and when I play it back on my 4K reference monitor, it's cropped to 16:9 or 17:9 depending if I set the Timeline's Monitor settings to UHD or DCI. But I can't find a way to make it scale down and show the whole thing in a pillar-boxed scene.

Here's the timeline settings…

CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 17.07.18@2x.png
format settings
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 17.07.18@2x.png (140.93 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 17.07.31@2x.png
monitor settings
CleanShot 2022-05-09 at 17.07.31@2x.png (179.09 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

Short of forcing this 4:3 image onto a 16:9 timeline, is there a way to view the whole thing on an external monitor?

Thanks
-Joseph
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

RikshaDriver

Re: Playing back non-standard footage on external monitor

PostTue May 10, 2022 12:47 am

For your output view to work as you want, Check the Output tab and make sure Mismatched Resolution is set to "Scale Entire Image to Fit" and that the Output resolution matches the Monitor resolution.

It's a bit of a hack.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

PhotoJoseph

PostTue May 10, 2022 12:21 pm

RikshaDriver wrote:For your output view to work as you want, Check the Output tab and make sure Mismatched Resolution is set to "Scale Entire Image to Fit" and that the Output resolution matches the Monitor resolution.

It's a bit of a hack.

Thank you… and this gets weirder so maybe this is an 18 but. I'll test again then re-file.

Turns out my settings were already set that way. And as soon as I verified that, the output scaled as desired! But then I opened a previously-made duplicate of that timeline, verified that it in fact had identical settings, but it will NOT show on the monitor the desired way.

I'll do some more tests and re-file this if I determine it's a bug. Thank you.
-Joseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

PhotoJoseph

PostMon May 16, 2022 10:30 pm

Somehow I had actually changed my timeline to UHD so that's why it worked… so the original problem persists. I have posted this in the 18 beta forum.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=160563

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Peter Cave

PostTue May 17, 2022 2:32 am

Can you show us your Project settings for video scaling?

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.31.13 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 12.31.13 pm.png (523.97 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

PhotoJoseph

PostTue May 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Hey, now I'm bringing the new post in the 18 beta forum back over here to keep the topic in one place, as it seems I have a fundamental misunderstanding of the settings.

On my beta forum post viewtopic.php?f=36&t=160563&p=850318#p850318 RikshaDriver said:

RikshaDriver wrote:I haven't tried Beta 18 yet, but since you're not using Project Settings for the individual timeline, in the "Timeline Settings" for the given Timeline you need to make sure "Use Timeline Settings for Output Scaling" isn't ticked on the Output tab and change the resolution to match what's set under Monitor.

and just here, Peter Cave asked for video scaling settings.

Peter Cave wrote:Can you show us your Project settings for video scaling?

First, here's that screenshot:

CleanShot 2022-05-17 at 14.18.06@2x.png
Project Settings > Image Scaling
CleanShot 2022-05-17 at 14.18.06@2x.png (228.95 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

Now Peter, I did try disabling Match Timeline Settings and ensuring that matched my monitor, but that made no difference. I also tried a combination that and the Use Local Overrides options but maybe I just didn't find the right combo. That said however… 

RikshaDriver, when I change the setting as you suggested, the image DOES in fact display in full on my monitor — however the canvas appears to be 16:9 (although I see now if I scale the image up, it does not go past the 4:3 aspect ratio of the original image) but what's super confusing to me is that the resolution as listed in the media browser actually changes to 3840*2160. And that's why I thought this didn't work before; I thought it had changed the resolution of my timeline! But it turns out that if I look at the actual timeline metadata (or back in the timeline settings), then it still shows the original 5760*4320 resolution:

CleanShot 2022-05-17 at 14.35.25@2x.png
Resolution in media pool and in timeline metadata
CleanShot 2022-05-17 at 14.35.25@2x.png (90.49 KiB) Viewed 1085 times

So then… first, thank you, this appears to at least resolve the issue of not being able to preview the entire image at once on my reference monitor.

But second, what am I misunderstanding here. Since there are three tabs for the timeline settings — Format, Monitor and Output — silly me, I thought that these meant, well, format, monitor and output. Does the output setting have to match monitor? What about when it comes time to render; if I need a full timeline resolution of 5760*4320, do I have to change this output setting before I can render it?

Thanks for everyone's help.
-Joseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Marc Wielage

PostWed May 18, 2022 12:43 am

PhotoJoseph wrote:I have a timeline built at 5760×4320 [4:3 aspect ratio]...

What we generally do is finish the project in the delivered resolution. As far as I know, there's no 5760x4320 monitors out there, but 3840x2880 would be reasonable if you wanted 4x3 delivered for an UHD world, or 4096x3072 if it was theatrical 4K. Even there, you'd probably have to deliver it inside a 16x9 frame.

A lot of the decisions you make boil down to "what is the expected audience going to see?", then work your way backwards from there.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PhotoJoseph

PostWed May 18, 2022 12:45 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
PhotoJoseph wrote:I have a timeline built at 5760×4320 [4:3 aspect ratio]...

What we generally do is finish the project in the delivered resolution. As far as I know, there's no 5760x4320 monitors out there, but 3840x2880 would be reasonable if you wanted 4x3 delivered for an UHD world, or 4096x3072 if it was theatrical 4K. Even there, you'd probably have to deliver it inside a 16x9 frame.

A lot of the decisions you make boil down to "what is the expected audience going to see?", then work your way backwards from there.

Thanks, but I have specific reasons for editing in this way. The question though remains, do I have to change the output setting to get the output I want (which makes sense), but then why is the OUTPUT setting dictating the MONITOR setting, especially since there are completely different panes for this?

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Howard Roll

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:48 am

Did you conduct the tests with performance mode disabled? You might see a bigger difference if there aren't background processes helping things along.

Good Luck

PhotoJoseph

PostWed May 18, 2022 3:54 am

Howard Roll wrote:Did you conduct the tests with performance mode disabled? You might see a bigger difference if there aren't background processes helping things along.

Good Luck

I don’t know that I know where am that is… not at my system now. I’ll look for it!

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

PhotoJoseph

PostWed May 18, 2022 4:05 pm

Howard Roll wrote:Did you conduct the tests with performance mode disabled? You might see a bigger difference if there aren't background processes helping things along.

Good Luck

I feel like this response was meant to be on my other thread, about the Afterburner. I thought it was when I responded last night — or did you mean that I'd expect something different in playback and seeing the full image on screen? If so, there's no difference. I just tested it. If you did mean for the Afterburner card, disabling this feature drops the frame rate terribly! Guess I need to learn what this feature is exactly and of course leave it on!

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

RikshaDriver

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:28 am

The Monitor / Video Monitoring tabs dictate what resolution the feed is sent out via the card. It currently doesn't do any scaling of the timeline / source footage.

When you change the Output / Output Scaling resolution, it will scale it for both viewing and delivery. You could also adjust your Output resolution to a 4:3 aspect ratio as well... so in this case it would be 2880:2160 for the UHD equivalent and your monitor will show it pillarboxed in 16:9 - as long as the heights match. For rendering you will then manually need to adjust the resolution in the Delivery page... but once you add that to the queue, you shouldn't need to change the resolution again unless you play around with resolution settings and need to add another render to the queue.

Also when changing the options via Timeline > Timeline Settings... the wording in the "Output" tab is wrong because it says "Timeline setting" but it should be "Output resolution". This can cause some further confusion.

There really should be a scaling option purely for the monitor tab. Probably a feature request for the future.... but this is how you currently get it to work... that's why I called this a bit of a hack.

There's also a completely alternate option on the Color page where you can "Gang viewer zoom with video output". It can be found by clicking the three ellipses on the Viewer panel... but this does just that... it will zoom in and out of the clip as you zoom in and out as well and only works on the color page.

PhotoJoseph

PostThu May 19, 2022 4:22 pm

RikshaDriver wrote:The Monitor / Video Monitoring tabs dictate what resolution the feed is sent out via the card. It currently doesn't do any scaling of the timeline / source footage.

Good, that's what I'd expect. It's quite confusing that it changes the Resolution in the browser column though!

RikshaDriver wrote:When you change the Output / Output Scaling resolution, it will scale it for both viewing and delivery.

One would expect it to be just for delivery…

RikshaDriver wrote:You could also adjust your Output resolution to a 4:3 aspect ratio as well... so in this case it would be 2880:2160 for the UHD equivalent and your monitor will show it pillarboxed in 16:9 - as long as the heights match.

That sounds great, but how do I set a custom Monitor resolution? I only see the drop-down list (which doesn't include a resolution/ratio like you suggested)

CleanShot 2022-05-19 at 09.21.06@2x.png
no custom monitor resolution
CleanShot 2022-05-19 at 09.21.06@2x.png (180.06 KiB) Viewed 928 times

RikshaDriver wrote:For rendering you will then manually need to adjust the resolution in the Delivery page... but once you add that to the queue, you shouldn't need to change the resolution again unless you play around with resolution settings and need to add another render to the queue.

That's logical at least ;-)

RikshaDriver wrote:Also when changing the options via Timeline > Timeline Settings... the wording in the "Output" tab is wrong because it says "Timeline setting" but it should be "Output resolution". This can cause some further confusion.

Ha! Yes, confusing for sure.

RikshaDriver wrote:There really should be a scaling option purely for the monitor tab. Probably a feature request for the future.... but this is how you currently get it to work... that's why I called this a bit of a hack.

There's also a completely alternate option on the Color page where you can "Gang viewer zoom with video output". It can be found by clicking the three ellipses on the Viewer panel... but this does just that... it will zoom in and out of the clip as you zoom in and out as well and only works on the color page.

Sounds like there's still some room for improvement here then. And thanks for the Color Page tip; I'd explored that before but as you say it really only is for grading.

Thanks again!
-Joseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

RikshaDriver

PostThu May 19, 2022 8:26 pm

You can adjust your resolution to 4:3 in the Output Tab. I don’t believe you can do 4:3 aspect for monitor resolutions above HD via the card, so it will need to be pillarboxed on your designated output aspect ratio (16:9 or 17:9 etc)

Happy to help :)

PhotoJoseph

PostThu May 19, 2022 9:15 pm

RikshaDriver wrote:You can adjust your resolution to 4:3 in the Output Tab. I don’t believe you can do 4:3 aspect for monitor resolutions above HD via the card, so it will need to be pillarboxed on your designated output aspect ratio (16:9 or 17:9 etc)

Happy to help :)

And you SAID "output" resolution… for some reason I misread then quoted you saying "monitor". Sorry about that!

So setting the OUTPUT to 2880x2160 does the job of getting the full image on the external monitor, and keeps the canvas in a native 4:3 mode without, so that's good. I think that's the way to leave this until it's time to output.

Still wildly strange that the Monitor tab setting doesn't just do what it literally says it will do. Oh well.

thanks again!
-Joseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Return to DaVinci Resolve