Ongoing Nested Sequence Audio

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EposVox

Ongoing Nested Sequence Audio

PostThu May 19, 2022 1:58 am

Hi.
So I've been experiencing a bug across a multitude of PCs for both myself and my assistant editor since the v15 days, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.
If I have a nested sequence/timeline that has audio, it's a guarantee that EVERY video will exhibit audio glitches.
Used to, it was random. The audio would suddenly get very reverb-y, or play a random blip of audio from another part of the timeline overtop the current part, or a cut would be silent entirely.
Sometimes it would only be present when playing on timeline, sometimes only on the exported file, often on both.
As of the latest 17 update and the 18 beta, now on top of that possibility, it seems to be a guarantee that every single cut of that nested sequence will add a pop/crackle to the audio, even if the source footage is silent at that cut. This happens on playback in Resolve - though if you specifically position the playhead in the cut before playing it's not there - but also affects the export.
It's gone from a weird random annoyance to something that's seriously derailing my daily job.

The only solution (since render in place doesn't affect the audio cuts) is to wait until AFTER the edit is done, unlink all of the audio clips from the video clips, decompose JUST the audio clips within the timeline with new audio busses. This fixes it, but turns the timeline into a total wreck and is a nightmare to go back to if tweaks are made.

An example of the first kind of issue can be viewed in this clip here -

An example of the second kind of issue can be viewed in this clip at every point it cuts, and often at the beginning even without cuts -

I've tried different sampling for audio (48kHz vs 96kHz) and everything else I can think of. Seems to affect PCM WAV as much as AAC audio.
I'm tearing my hair out at this point. It's been happening for my entire 4 year career with Resolve at this point.

What is this issue and why hasn't it been resolved yet?
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Ongoing Nested Sequence Audio

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:32 am

Have you looked at v18?
17.1 is a year old.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

EposVox

PostThu May 19, 2022 2:39 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Have you looked at v18?
17.1 is a year old.

I'm using 18 now, and my assistant editor who's also encountering this has only ever used 18. Also specified this has been a running issue from v15-18 in my post.
I just don't have the time to re-detail my signature every time I need to post in this forum lol
Windows 11 Pro | Resolve 18 Beta | AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X, Nvidia Titan RTX, 128GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 3200MHz RAM

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 24, 2022 12:16 pm

Hi Adam

We have made some improvements to handling nested timelines with effects in 18.0 b5. Please take a look and let us know your feedback. Thanks for the report.

Regards
Shrinivas

Constantin Gross

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 7:46 pm

We just opened a project in 18.0 b5, bug persists as described in post viewtopic.php?f=36&t=162318
nested timelines don't play sound anymore but just show complete audio glitches that play out at max volume no matter what the levels are.

Return to DaVinci Resolve