Need tips to reduce an oiled face

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

okiewardoyo

Need tips to reduce an oiled face

PostThu May 19, 2022 5:56 am

Dear community,
Most of my shoot footage have an oiled face like below. Does anyone have a tip of how to reduce the oiled? thanks.
bmd.jpg
bmd.jpg (420.89 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Marc Wielage

Re: Need tips to reduce an oiled face

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:45 am

There is a "DeShine" mode on Face Refinement, but this person's face might be a little small in the frame.

If I was dealing with a make-up issue like this, I'd try to qualify the highlights, constrain the key with a big tracking window around their head, then pull the highlights down with Gain (and maybe add a little warmth to the white highlights), and then maybe soften it a little bit with Minus-Midtones. There are situations where you have to try a few different things to dull skin shininess, and often it's a process of trial & error. There's no surefire method that works every time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

okiewardoyo

PostThu May 19, 2022 7:55 am

Marc Wielage wrote:There is a "DeShine" mode on Face Refinement, but this person's face might be a little small in the frame.

If I was dealing with a make-up issue like this, I'd try to qualify the highlights, constrain the key with a big tracking window around their head, then pull the highlights down with Gain (and maybe add a little warmth to the white highlights), and then maybe soften it a little bit with Minus-Midtones. There are situations where you have to try a few different things to dull skin shininess, and often it's a process of trial & error. There's no surefire method that works every time.

Thanks so much Marc, i really appreciate that. I'll try.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Igor Riđanović

PostThu May 19, 2022 5:56 pm

You can also try to lower down one of the HDR higher range controls, but window out the face first.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Joe Shapiro

PostThu May 19, 2022 6:35 pm

Thanks Marc! I'm putting that in my color grading tips folder. Appreciating your extensive color knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

John Richard

PostThu May 19, 2022 7:18 pm

As Marc said, the Face Refinement/Track/Reduce Shine will work well just so long as she is not turning her face side to side. If she does turn her face away from camera the Face Refinement tracking will lose tracking.

I've used Face Refinement for such a sized face in frame and tracking works great UNTIL the face turns sideways in frame and then it loses tracking and becomes unusable.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 20, 2022 1:43 am

John Richard wrote:I've used Face Refinement for such a sized face in frame and tracking works great UNTIL the face turns sideways in frame and then it loses tracking and becomes unusable.

Yeah, here's my Face Refinement tips:

1) you often get better results if you use PTZR to zoom into the face and THEN run the F.R. analysis mode. Once it's tracked, go back to normal framing and the mask should still fit.

2) if there's conflicts in the background, consider using a temporary black mask in a previous node to mask out everything else except the face. This will give F.R.'s internal engine fewer distractions to work with. This is particularly useful if you have 2 or more people in the same shot.

3) note that it's possible to use a mask on top of F.R. in case it's catching any details behind the actor's face. Of course, you can also manually adjust the size of the F.R. mask area itself.

4) I find that F.R. alone is not enough to add beauty to "actors of a certain age." I find you also have to pay attention to their neck, visible chest, and hands, and you've got to blur or denoise or use Minus Midtone or OFX Beauty.

5) I also think you have to use manual methods to get rid of crow's feet and jowls, which often have to be windowed and tracked. OFX Beauty is a good way to use frequency-selection to only soften the skin details and leave everything else intact.

6) the moment the actor turns sideways or otherwise gets covered up, F.R. can't recover, and for that, you have to go to an all-manual method. It takes more than 8 power windows to recreate what Face Refinement does. Bear in mind that anything Face Refinement can do, you can also do manually... but it's a lot of work.

7) sometimes a bit of glow or diffusion (like Scatter) will take the curse off a little more, a node or two after F.R. I need a T-shirt that says, "I look better with a 1/4 Black Promist!"

8) don't forget that LESS IS MORE. Avoid cranking in so much processing that the actors start turning into plastic Barbie dolls. I generally will back off at least 25% on whatever settings I initially try in the firsts pass. I'd rather see a few tiny minor wrinkles than plastic skin.

9) NO AMOUNT of processing can overcome bad makeup (or a lack of makeup). There's a reason why the HMU people on set make a lot of money: good makeup makes all the difference in the world on an actor's face. Trying to do makeup in post is fraught with problems, and takes 10 times more effort than it would just to get it right on the day.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri May 20, 2022 2:04 am

the Beauty plugin can also remove somewhat the shininess, loosely select the skin and try...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Richard Dean

PostSat May 21, 2022 3:13 pm

Marc Fantastic tips - I also use Beauty Box for some things.

I wish the face refinement tool had some manual override for frames where it sometimes just disappears for no reason. I will definitely try zooming in and masking when this occurs in the future.

I own Scatter plug in and never thought to try it for just face softening.

Return to DaVinci Resolve