Manual audio sync and rendered files = No Audio??

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

William Zarvis

Manual audio sync and rendered files = No Audio??

PostMon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm

I'm currently on a DIT job using DaVinci Resolve 17 to create proxies. Unfortunately, the timecode on one card's worth of clips wasn't jam-synced properly, thus forcing me to have to manually sync the audio on 27 clips by "eyeball" (I'm doing this on the Timeline tab).

The problem - as I'm sure many of you can already guess - is that when I go to export these clips and render them as proxies there is no audio. Complete silence.

I've read this is a feature rather than a bug within DaVinci Resolve. After searching YouTube and this forum I cannot find a clear workflow to solve this problem. So, denizens of the Blackmagic ecosystem and wizards of DaVinci Resolve, what the heck do I do to get manually synced audio on the exported proxy files?

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you. :-)

John Paines

Re: Manual audio sync and rendered files = No Audio??

PostMon May 23, 2022 8:19 pm

Haven't tried it, but did you see this in the manual:

NOTE: If your source clip has a separate audio file synced to it in the Media Pool, any proxies
generated from that clip will include the synced audio, but that audio will be embedded in the
video clip instead of being created as a separate file.

You'd have to sync the clips up manually in the media pool, not on the timeline. This links the two permanently, before either leaves the media pool for a timeline. There are instructions in the manual for syncing in the media pool.

Otherwise, if you do it from the timeline, I don't see any alternative to exporting each clip (with embedded sync audio), then importing the newly created file into the media pool, and only *then* creating proxies.

William Zarvis

PostMon May 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Okay, I just downloaded a PDF of the DaVinci Resolve 17 Reference manual and found the info in section 21, Page 370. And...

...Holy hell. What an incredibly cumbersome, obfuscated solution to manually syncing sound (an already laborious task)! Davinci's workflow for this feels like some form of punishment for not getting the timecode right in camera to begin with. Damn.

Well, thanks for the tip, John. Not great news but at least it's something and a place to start..all over again.

BOHICA.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 24, 2022 4:16 am

William Zarvis wrote:… Davinci's workflow for this feels like some form of punishment for not getting the timecode right in camera to begin with.

You may be right. DR originated in the professional world.
;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve