Hue vs Hue Correction with Hex- /RGB-Code

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

laendle

Hue vs Hue Correction with Hex- /RGB-Code

PostTue May 24, 2022 12:29 pm

Hey there,

I am making videos for customers with defined corporate designs and colours, therefore it might be very important for me sometimes to correct the colour of objects to one very colour.
Is there a way to do a Hue vs Hue correction by entering a code (Hex, RGB, HSV, HSL etc.) for the colour that my selection should be corrected to?
If not, is there a plugin that can do?
Did a lot of research, but found nothing.

Thanks for your help!

JF Robichaud

Re: Hue vs Hue Correction with Hex- /RGB-Code

PostTue May 24, 2022 2:55 pm

You can do it with the Color Compressor Effect. Simply create a qualifier to isolate the appropriate area, then add the Color Compressor effect in which you can enter the target value using HSV, RGB or Hex entry.

rNeil H

PostTue May 24, 2022 4:15 pm

And understand ... that may get you close mostly sort of, but screens are not like CMYK print processing.

You can guarantee a color in physical printing.

You can't in screen based work. Every screen will be at least a little different and that's *before* mentioning metamerism. Or different CM behaviors between players, streaming services and TVs.

Which some agencies seem to struggle with. I've heard of reps walking up to a client screen in a suite with their printed sample demanding a total match.

Like it's ever gonna look like that once that leaves the colorists suite ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mario Kalogjera

PostTue May 24, 2022 6:07 pm

don't get me started on clients "That's not our brand color" reactions....and they themselves provided the colors and logos that were not converted for broadcast....

You don't argue or quote HEX values, you match it to the print by eyeballing it and take their money...
and don't let them watch it on their own computers or ipads...
Asus Prime X370-Pro+R7 3700X@PBO+32 GB G.Skill AEGIS DDR-4@3200MHz
Sapphire RX6700 10GB
Adata A400 120GB System,A2000 500GB Scratch SSDs
Media storage:"Always in motion is it"
BMD Mini Monitor 4K
Windows 11 Pro+Resolve Studio 18+Fusion Studio 18

shebbe

PostTue May 24, 2022 9:38 pm

The topic of translating client colors to video/broadcast in a technically correct manner is quite comprehensive. Especially when you are talking about physical objects shot in a scene lit with lights and captured by camera. To give you simple guidance to just doing the task at hand have a look at this.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

laendle

PostWed May 25, 2022 7:33 am

Thanks to y'all guys!

I know, that each screen mirrors the colours a bit different, but the goal is to put the videos on the websites of the customers, so no matter how the colours are displayed, they should be the same as the other colours on the site.

Return to DaVinci Resolve