Multi Channel Audio in Nested Timelines / Compound Clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Constantin Gross

Multi Channel Audio in Nested Timelines / Compound Clips

PostTue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi:)

I have a question, maybe some one can help me with.

When I use a multicam timeline / Compound Clip / Nested Timeline with multi channel audio in it in another timeline (as a scene from a longer movie) - I only hear the first stereo channel of the timeline - while I need to hear the stereo output of all the tracks in the two tracks of the nested timeline.
The Track is set to Adaptive 10 as well as the nested timeline and the parent timeline.

The manual says:
.......In this sense, the audio of the nested timeline can be considered to be a submix that outputs its resulting audio to the audio track it’s edited onto. For more information about Buses and audio mixing in general, see
Part 12, “Fairlight.”
Seite 687 Manual Davinci 16

I do not get a submix of the entire timeline but only the first two channels.
Be it in Multicam Clips, Compound Clips o nested Timelines.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

marco.sardi

Re: Multi Channel Audio in Nested Timelines / Compound Clips

PostSun May 22, 2022 4:20 pm

Hi Constantin,
I have the same problem. Did you manage to figure out a how to solve it?
Thanks
Marco

Constantin Gross

PostTue May 24, 2022 5:29 pm

Kind of... It is super messy with busses etc but it "works"...
this can't be how it is intended to work and there are glitches, for example sometimes it stops working and you have to restart the timeline or project.
Also, a compound clip with those settings created a really loud "glitch" sound when scrubbing over it with live media preview. Only happened a few times, just pray you don't have headphones on when it happens, it is way above max volume.

Workaround:

Settings for the timeline:
Edit Page - Fairlight Menu - Bus Format -
1x Mono Bus with 1 Channel
2x 7.1 Film Bus with 8 Channels

Now you have 3 Busses with a total of 17 Channels.

Bus Assign:
Available Tracks:
Audio 1: Bus 2 Out (B2o)
Audio 3: Bus 3 Out (B3o)
Bus1: Empty
Bus 2: Bus 1 Out (B1o)
Bus 3: Bus 1 Out (B1o)

Now the 2 new busses send the Audio to your mono bus (BUS1) and that one is picked up by the parent timeline above.

It somehow works, but sucks to have to do that with every timeline and I am pretty sure that is not how it is supposed to work.
If someone knows an easier solution that just outputs a simple stereo or mono mixdown of all the tracks in the timeline, that would be amazing.

ohmeibauti

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 9:20 pm

hi!
I am running into the same issue, the workaround doesn't seem to be stable enough so far.
now that we have 18.5 did anybody find a new solution?
I have external audio with 8-16 tracks that I want to have nested in the Multicam clip. but like it has been described all I hear are the first two tracks.
working with Multicam and external audio must be such common practice, it should work smoother, doesn't it?
cheers, Sebastian

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Sep 10, 2023 11:11 pm

In the future, it seems to me that the output tracks for a Timeline would be well handled by providing the same interface as one gets in a clip’s Audio tab. One could choose what channels are output and what the mapping from “internal” tracks to outputs would be.

Clip audio channel mapping is a great feature of Resolve. Seems like using that model for Timelines would be a big win.

If this approach were taken there would be no mixdowns. Would this work for you folks? Do you see any downsides to it?

Here's a Feature Request where I asked for this in perhaps somewhat less specific language: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=174145
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.3
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve