Drone photos (.DNG) are darker after importing to resolve 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

brettbertini

Drone photos (.DNG) are darker after importing to resolve 17

PostWed May 25, 2022 1:20 am

I'm using Davinci resolve 17 to color grade some photos taken on my DJI Mini 2 drone, the files are RAW (.DNG). I import the images into the media pool and instantly they are significantly darker. I am on a MacBook Pro and the images appear fine when I open them outside of resolve

shebbe

Re: Drone photos (.DNG) are darker after importing to resolv

PostWed May 25, 2022 9:52 am

.dng are raw images. There is technically no ground truth in how to represent them. The software needs to decide in what way it's data is developed. What you see in Mac Preview can be different than what you see in Lightroom or DaVinci Resolve. Having said that, not all .dng files are read by Resolve as nice as others but I haven't seen issues with DJI ones.

Can you show us the difference?

You may also want to look at your Camera Raw tab in the Color page to see if you can improve the settings there.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

brettbertini

Re: Drone photos (.DNG) are darker after importing to resolv

PostWed May 25, 2022 10:04 pm

For some reason I am not able to attach a screenshot because it is over the 2MB size limit for this post (not sure why such a small limit), but here is a link to my google drive where I uploaded a picture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1deCOUI ... sp=sharing

As you can see the photo is considerably darker in resolve.

I may have figured it out what to do, it seems that when I import the .DNG image into resolve it drags my highlights down drastically for some reason. In my color grading work flow I usually mess with contrast and white balance first before tweaking the highlights and shadows. this would lead to issues because I was doing white balance and contrast with a super dark photo. Now I'm just adjusting my highlights and shadows before messing with anything else and it seems to work pretty well.

Return to DaVinci Resolve