Waveform matching - Detect unmatched clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SeldomSeenKid

Waveform matching - Detect unmatched clips

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:30 am

Hi All,

I used the waveform match to sync a lot of clips in the media pool. After processing Davinci told me that there are a few unmatched clips. Is there any chance to detect these clips?
[Edit] To be more precise: I matched audio files from my field recorder to video clips and used the option "Append".
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

SeldomSeenKid

Re: Waveform matching - Detect unmatched clips

PostMon May 30, 2022 8:25 am

Noone?
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

Jim Simon

PostMon May 30, 2022 3:54 pm

My own experience is that you don't need to worry about it. There are video clips that just don't have a matching audio clip, not that some clips failed to sync.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

SeldomSeenKid

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 7:43 am

Hm... I haven't used the matching very often and maybe it's the bureaucrat in me asking this question. However, I think it would be a nice feature to have an indicator on the thumbnail showing that there is linked audio. Pretty much like the proxy indicator in v18.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 8:13 am

In the Media Pool's Thumbnail view, the source media indicates the presence of synced audio with a "Music" icon on the Clip's thumbnail.

The source media also reflects the synced audio file name in the "Synced Audio" column in the Media Pool's List view. Right click the Column header and select the "Synced Audio" checkbox in the Column Layout listing and consider creating a Column Layout Preset with this option enabled.

If the "Synced Audio" column is not enabled in the Media Pool, right click the source Clip in the Media Pool and select the "Reveal Synced Audio in Media Pool" option. This contextual menu item will not be available if the source media is not synced to audio.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

SeldomSeenKid

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 8:22 am

I must be blind - or is this music icon a new v18 feature? I am still on v17 and currently not at my DVR computer. However, thanks a lot for your hint!

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 8:27 am

This functionality is also available in version 17.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Return to DaVinci Resolve