"Duplicate Timeline"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

fennavd

"Duplicate Timeline"

PostSun May 29, 2022 9:06 am

Good day everyone!

I want to copy paste my Timeline so that I can edit it. I want to keep my original edit.

And if I do "Duplicate Timeline" then if I drag it into the new Timeline (from Media Pool) all my OFX, and Gradings go with it? Because if I have to paste back individually per Frame Gradings and OFX (ALT + N Attributes) I am still busy and also afraid that it is no longer sync?

Does anyone know of a handy trick here?

(Working with: DaVinci Resolve 17)

Video Editor | Camera Operator | Premiere Pro | After Effects | DaVinci Resolve 17 | 3D Producer | 3D Animator |  Cinema 4D | Blender 2.93/3.1 | Unreal Engine 4 |

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Animation can explain whatever the mind of man can conceive.

-Walter Elias Disney

shebbe

Re:

PostSun May 29, 2022 1:21 pm

Not sure if I understand your question.
If you right-click your timeline in the Media Pool -> Duplicate Timeline the entire timeline as is gets duplicated. Double-click that timeline to open it and everything should still be there.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

fennavd

Re: "Duplicate Timeline"

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:18 am

Also the OFX? (VFX) like Bloom, Planar Trackers etc and Grades? (Color Gradings) if that all copies along with " Duplicate Timeline" then that saves a lot of hassle if I still have to paste all those attributes separately.

Thank you, so much. :)

Video Editor | Camera Operator | Premiere Pro | After Effects | DaVinci Resolve 17 | 3D Producer | 3D Animator |  Cinema 4D | Blender 2.93/3.1 | Unreal Engine 4 |

-Walter Elias Disney

Sam Steti

Re:

PostMon May 30, 2022 6:59 am

Hey

The answer is "yes", but how come you didn't event try to experience it yourself ? Are you so afraid something very bad could happen that you had to ask here before you duplicate your TL and see that all OFXs came with it ? :)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

fennavd

PostTue May 31, 2022 6:41 am

Ooh that's good to hear, thank you so much!

That's right, I thought I'd ask before I get completely stressed out because my Timeline is completely ruined! :)

-Walter Elias Disney

fennavd

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 1:54 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Hey

The answer is "yes", but how come you didn't event try to experience it yourself ? Are you so afraid something very bad could happen that you had to ask here before you duplicate your TL and see that all OFXs came with it ? :)
I did as you said but now when I change the new timeline I get a message "keep current" or "change timeline." And if I choose both "current " or "keep" then I have to save it again (.drp file) and then I get the message that it can't be saved. Because some timelines don't allow it. And after that I get a runtime error and then Resolve closes and I've had this 3 times already, do you know how best to solve this problem?

Video Editor | Camera Operator | Premiere Pro | After Effects | DaVinci Resolve 17 | 3D Producer | CG (3D) Generalist | 3D Animator | Cinema 4D | Blender 2.93/3.0/3.1/3.2 | Unreal Engine 4 |

https://www.artstation.com/fennafenn

-Walter Elias Disney

Jim Simon

Re:

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 2:01 pm

fennavd wrote:when I change the new timeline
What exactly are you doing there?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

fennavd

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 2:08 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
fennavd wrote:when I change the new timeline
What exactly are you doing there?
I duplicated the timeline and then clicked it, and I want to edit the duplicated timeline. But as soon as I use the Razor Tool or want to move a footage I get the dialog box asking "Change or Keep"? At keep it asks to save it, then I get a message that the save failed because another timeline does not allow it. After which I get a Runtime error and close Resolve.

Video Editor | Camera Operator | Premiere Pro | After Effects | DaVinci Resolve 17 | 3D Producer | CG (3D) Generalist | 3D Animator | Cinema 4D | Blender 2.93/3.0/3.1/3.2 | Unreal Engine 4 |

-Walter Elias Disney

Jim Simon

Re:

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 2:15 pm

OK.

You have something wrong with your system there. That's a separate issue to Duplicating a timeline.

Maybe start a new thread for the error.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

fennavd

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 2:37 pm

I can no longer use my current timeline because before it said when saving that a timeline didn't allow it. So I can't access my project anymore.

I can't get the project to start anymore after getting some errors since I duplicated the Timeline.

Because even if I delete the duplicated timeline I keep getting errors.

Even their backups don't work anymore. :(

Edit:

I partially found the problem. My HDD only had 35 GiG left on the HDD. Perhaps that's what it's about?
Or is it a bug in Resolve?

-Walter Elias Disney

Joe Shapiro

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Definitely sounds like a problem writing files. Decent chance that the low space condition is the cause of it.

On the other hand, Resolve really should handle an out of space condition more gracefully than what you’re seeing - if that really is what’s causing what you’re seeing.

Either way, running close to the edge on disk space isn’t a good idea for your data or piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Marc Wielage

Re:

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 7:33 am

fennavd wrote:I can no longer use my current timeline because before it said when saving that a timeline didn't allow it. So I can't access my project anymore. I can't get the project to start anymore after getting some errors since I duplicated the Timeline.

One possible fix: launch Resolve, get to the Project Manager, but don't open anything up. Highlight the project you want to save, Export a copy by right-clicking and choosing export, and save it to another drive or another location. Now, right-click in the Project Manager and Import this copy project. The new copy should "in theory" work.

But don't do this if your drive is out of space. Solve that problem first.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

fennavd

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 6:10 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
fennavd wrote:I can no longer use my current timeline because before it said when saving that a timeline didn't allow it. So I can't access my project anymore. I can't get the project to start anymore after getting some errors since I duplicated the Timeline.

One possible fix: launch Resolve, get to the Project Manager, but don't open anything up. Highlight the project you want to save, Export a copy by right-clicking and choosing export, and save it to another drive or another location. Now, right-click in the Project Manager and Import this copy project. The new copy should "in theory" work.

But don't do this if your drive is out of space. Solve that problem first.
Thank you!

I'm going to see how this works?

Video Editor | (Video) Post-production | Camera Operator | Premiere Pro | After Effects | DaVinci Resolve 17 | 3D Producer | CG (3D) Generalist | 3D Animator | Cinema 4D |
Blender 2.93/3.0/3.1/3.2 | Unreal Engine 4/5 |
| FennAnimations |

Slogan: “Fond of Animations“

Walibi World 2005/2008 Rides Operator / Scare Actor |
| Ex-Disneyland Paris Cast Member 2010 | Nickelodeon Character Performer 2011 / 2016 |
| FennParks |

-Walter Elias Disney

Return to DaVinci Resolve