Customize / change transition dropdown of the Speed Editor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Metabob

Customize / change transition dropdown of the Speed Editor

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Dear BMD-Team,

eventhough I'm a big fan and happy user of many of your products, I have to adress those super weird oldschool DVE-transitions that (once again) absurdly ended up on your twenty first century hardware.

The whole internet and industry is making fun of it (unfortunately I am not allowed to post URLs). People are actually thinking that your product developement team is trolling customers with this.

It's not a real switcher if it doesn't have a star wipe!

Please name a single application / format, where some prefessional uses a star, spiral, heart or barn door transition? Broadcast? Cinema? Youtube? Advertisement? NOPE. No one uses them. Ever.

BUT the default "Fusion Transitions" or at least a couple of them, are actually usefull and part of the regular transition stack that every modern editor frequently uses for montages / b-roll sequences.

We (pretty much every single user of the speed editor and also atem products etc.) need you to stop putting those old school transitions everywhere! Please, for the love of god!

Also we seriously need you to let us customize the transitions in the speed editor drop down!

That is by far the most important change, besides introducing ripple trim, redo and a J/L-cut feature.

Thank you so much in advance!

Not only would you stop people from wondering and loughing about you, but also safe thousands of hours with a very minor change.

Charles Bennett

Re: Customize / change transition dropdown of the Speed Edit

PostTue Jun 29, 2021 6:25 pm

I certainly have not seen " The whole internet and industry making fun of it". Just because you don't use them, others do.
These are the Premiere Pro transitions. I see they include a Barn Door one just like Resolve.
Premiere Pro Transitions.JPG
Premiere Pro Transitions.JPG (50.55 KiB) Viewed 514 times

As well as a Block Spiral wipe Media Composer has these.
Media Composer Wipes.JPG
Media Composer Wipes.JPG (30.61 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Metabob

PostMon Jul 05, 2021 9:27 pm

Ok, please show me one example, as I asked for in my original post. I bet you wont find a single contemporary professional production with any of those transitions...

For sure some people are also still using a telefax but there is no hardware button for telefax on the latest smartphones right?

I don't think they need to be purged from all products entirely. The placement just doesn't make sense.

Please google it. For example you will find a reddit post dedicated to this topic where people are in fact making fun of it. To be fair: they are not only making fun of black magic design, but products of other brands as well. This doesn't make it any less absurd and doesn't change the fact, that there is not a single contemporary professional scenario where they are used. Not TV/broadcast, not in ads, nor in movies or on Youtube. No where.

Also, besides from defending the prominence of the no-one-uses-them-anymore-dve-transitions, you could also say something about my actual concern (see title).

Charles Bennett

PostMon Jul 05, 2021 11:46 pm

I know you are coming to this from a professional users point of view, but Resolve is used by many, many non professionals so is trying to cater for a larger market. Maybe the answer is to have a separate FX section labelled Vintage Transitions.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Metabob

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 3:28 pm

Please finally make the transition dropdown on the speed editor customizable. We need actual usable transitions there. So far that feature/button is just an absolute joke to the majority of your users.

Metabob

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 8:35 am

Would some one consider this to make the workflow of using transitions with the speed editor actually usable?

Please.

I guess most people are using the edit page to apply all the transitions now because you still can't select the fusion transitions from the speed editor dropdown and therefor it's is nearly useless.

Edit: Charles Bennetts suggestion to call them vintage transitions is a pretty cool idea.

Return to DaVinci Resolve