Add timeline from other project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

floh79

Add timeline from other project

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 pm

Hello I have several project and now I have a new project and would like to add timeline-clips from other project. Is that possible?

Best regards
Floh

MassimoAlbertoCroce

Re: Add timeline from other project

PostTue Jun 28, 2022 9:49 pm

Copy and paste the timeline for one project to the other, pretty basic.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mac Studio - 32GB RAM - 32GPU CORE
NVME RAID
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5
MacOs 12.6
BM mini Monitor 3G

floh79

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 am

Hello, thank you for your reply. Sure you can copy and paste, I'm aware of that already but I apologize for not being more specific in the initial post.

The disadvantage of copy&paste-method is, the timeline won't be in sync if the other project have further changes. This means we have to do copy&paste again which we would like to avoid.

Best regards
Floh

MassimoAlbertoCroce

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 12:27 am

Are you talking of project sharing. You need to be in the same network or you can set up a Gdrive folder for disc database, but you can access once at time and at you own RISC (is not recommended) or on the new version (18 but still in beta) you can use the new cloud library feature that enable users to share their projects (5$€£ a month per library up to 10 user) major info at BMD site.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mac Studio - 32GB RAM - 32GPU CORE
NVME RAID
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5
MacOs 12.6
BM mini Monitor 3G

panos_mts

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 am

I think he means to import a timeline from another project without creating a new copy of the timeline but as a link/reference to the original timeline. So if any changes has been made to the original timeline will be automatically reflected to the imported timeline.

As far as I know this is not possible with DaVinci, you can't link timelines from another project

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 2:29 am

You need to be on the one project and can do this with collaboration., note the timeline that embedded in main timeline is not updated in real time, but when you open the main timeline.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

floh79

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 9:09 am

Hi,

yes I was talking about sharing the timelines (not the whole projects). But I see, the shared timelines have to be in same project. So I'll export/import the timelines to a project and use that project in blackmagic cloud.

I hoped I could save time by avoiding the export/import process. Well I have to think over my workflow so I can avoid that in future.

Thank you for your posts!
Floh

PS: @Peter Chamberlain, can I change the location after I selected London? I'd like to change the location to Frankfurt for example if Blackmagic added a german location later.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 9:28 am

floh79 wrote:Hi,

PS: @Peter Chamberlain, can I change the location after I selected London? I'd like to change the location to Frankfurt for example if Blackmagic added a german location later.

Not hard but not one click
You will need to copy the projects to a local project library and then copy them to a new Germany based library.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

floh79

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanx, good to know. So the location is project based, which means for each project you select a location.

Return to DaVinci Resolve