Apple M1 crashes using decklink 4k and ultra studio 4k mini

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Defjux83

Apple M1 crashes using decklink 4k and ultra studio 4k mini

PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:20 pm

Resolve timeline (edit page) freezes and I have to force quit resolve. Sometimes I get a message from resolve that the app quit unexpectedly, but most of the time there's no error message. Happens every 5 min ish.

This is on my MacBook Pro m1 max with a decklink 4k in a thunderbolt enclosure and with my Mac studio M1 max and a UltraStudio 4K Mini. Prores and/braw footage. In both cases the reference monitor (Eizo) is connected via HDMI.

If I disable "monitor device" everything works fine. On both machines.

Now I'm running Resolve 18 studio beta and desktop video setup 12.3. I have been having this issue with the final release of Resolve studio 17 as well.. so was hoping the 18 beta would fix this.

Any help is appreciated.

Uli Plank

Re: Apple M1 crashes using decklink 4k and ultra studio 4k m

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:36 am

Since the M1 machines don't work with eGPUs at all, only with storage devices in such enclosures, the problem might be the Mac and not Resolve. Could be it interprets the Decklink as a screen device.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Defjux83

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:40 am

Both the decklink and ultrastudio show up as intended devices in the desktop video setup app. Having a support case with blackmagic now, so hopefully they find a solution.

Lars Goldschlager

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 10:18 pm

Greetings.

I would like to know if you've received any working solution from your BlackMagic support ticket to this issue please, as I'm specing out a grading setup and my idea would be to base off the Mac Studio M1 Max and the UltraStudio 4K mini for the Hero monitor and the customer monitor.

Here's hoping the issues have been resolved.

Return to DaVinci Resolve