Relinking proxies footage to original footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mc_meim1988

Relinking proxies footage to original footage

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 9:42 am

Hey guys.
I'm importing an AAF to Davinci Resolve that was exported from Avid MC for color grading .
I know how to usually do it and i'm aware of the process of how to relink the low-res footage to the original one.

As i know, in order to relink all files with no issues, you first need to add all of the project footage into the Davinci media pool, so Davinci can look for the original footage in the projects folders and relink them.

My issue is this -
I obviously didn't use all of the footage in the project, so I wonder if there's a way I can bring to the Davinci media pool and relink only the clips that was used on the timeline.
(without me looking for the used clips like a needle in haystack and copying only them manually)

I'm asking this because i want to make a separate HDD just for davinci exports, and the raw footage of the whole project is like 5TB.
External hdd's above 4TB is bigger and needs to be connected to a power outlet, And if I can bring only the necessary raw footage, I can settle for a small and portable external HDD.

Hope I made the issue clear.

Thanks you guys.

DavySilva

Re: Relinking proxies footage to original footage

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 10:10 am

Hi there,

I hope I understood you right.

I think what you want is right-right in the timeline you imported (AAF) and go to Timelines/Reconform.

You have 2 options, use the Media in the project or look for the files in the media storage. If you don't want to import all the assets used the best idea might be to use the Media Storage. I much prefer to use the bins options because it seems easier to me. Also, I like using the Selected clips in the timeline as opposed to all clips, it allows me to go slow and make sure it's all working as it should be.
Online Editor and Colourist.
“Never stop learning because life never stops teaching”

mc_meim1988

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 8:11 am

Thanks for your reply.
I understand what you are saying, but if i'll tell Davinci to look for the files in the media storage, i'll have to tell him to look in the primary Hdd where all the media is located.
As i said, i want to create a new hdd that has only the needed media(the clips on the timeline) on it.

Maybe i'm getting your suggestion wrong?
If i'll do what you say, Davinci will import the needed media into the new drive i'll create?

Thanks

Uli Plank

PostSat Jul 02, 2022 11:34 am

You can tell DR to copy only used media and link to those in Media Management, but careful with anything that's not a clip (stills, graphics).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mc_meim1988

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 3:03 pm

Uli Plank wrote:You can tell DR to copy only used media and link to those in Media Management, but careful with anything that's not a clip (stills, graphics).

Thanks for the reply!
And how do i do that?

Uli Plank

PostSun Jul 03, 2022 8:59 pm

See below. More details in the manual from page 773.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 22.57.59.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-03 um 22.57.59.png (320.1 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve