limitations to timecode length?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dzibilchalton

limitations to timecode length?

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 11:15 pm

Relatively new to using Davinci as my main video editor. I'm trying to make a "speedpaint" video in which I condense a bunch of recordings i took of my drawing process and will provide narration. I thought it'd be nice to attach a timer to the video in order to convey how long the drawing took overall. I followed one of the many tutorials to add the timer (text+ title> timecode) which is currently on the video 2 track, just above the actual video of my drawing on track 1.

The issue is that the timecode refuses to work past the very specific time of 04:37:46:40. The moment the time changes into 04:37:46:41, it becomes a black box which covers the entire screen. Is this some kind of hard limit to how long a timecode can be? Can anyone else recreate this, or is this something that's only messed up on my end? Are there any ways to work around it?

I wanted to try and circumvent this by creating a second text+ clip and just making the start point of that second clip 04:37:46:41 so that the timecode could continue from there, but i'm not sure how to change the starting timecode for a single, individual clip- Is that even possible? Or can you only change the starting timecode for ALL timecodes in ALL clips in the project?

I'm using version 17.4.6 Build 4. I hope I conveyed the issue properly and appreciate any help!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: limitations to timecode length?

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 2:07 am

That should work correctly in v18.0b6
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve