Fusion clips jittering without background

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Umberto Uderzo

Fusion clips jittering without background

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 9:21 pm

Sometimes it happens that i do some graphics overlay on a resolve fusion clip, maybe tracking a video clip. But to avoid the color correction to affect the fusion graphics, i duplicate the original clip, do the fusion graphics on the clone (resetting the color correction), then when all is ok i remove the video clip input from the fusion clip so only the fusion graphics remains, and i overlay it over the original colored clip.
Doing so, sometimes the fusion clip jitters in rendering. If i keep the video clip input in the fusion composition it works correctly. I'm wondering the reason of this behaviour.

Similarly, if i create a fusion clip, and then i decide to trim the start or end of the clip, the clip itself sometimes acts erraticaly, and i'm forced to work with the opacity of the clip to make it disappear instead of trimming it.

Umberto

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Fusion clips jittering without background

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 10:11 pm

Jitters in which way exactly?
I do stuff.

Umberto Uderzo

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 11:01 pm

As an example, i track an object for a callout.
It renders perfectly from inside the fusion page but when i exit to the editor page, the callout jumps erratically on some frames, while on certain sections of the clip renders correctly.

Andy Mees

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 9:09 am

Umberto, does it still jump if you set 'Render Cache Fusion Output' to 'Off' on that clip and/or set your timeline playback Render Cache to None? I'm thinking you might be seeing incorrectly cached frames in the playback.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 10:29 am

Sounds like the problem where elements get resolution assigned randomly when there is no fixed-res bg or input attached. This is an architectural design problem of Fusion imho, not sure if it is directly connected to supposed ”resolution independence” logic or not. This problem manifests itself also with masks where they can randomly jump due to evaluation order of nodes.
I do stuff.

Umberto Uderzo

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 1:34 pm

I will try adding some kind of transparent BG to see if it fixes.

I also noticed that trying to use a time stretched to control a callout macro animation leads to random results in edit module, while in fusion module works correctly.

Umberto Uderzo

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 1:54 pm

Looks like that putting the fusion composition into a compound clip fixes the issue.
Always the same workaround. Wonder if this can be fixed, that makes fine tuning animations way slower.

panos_mts

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 2:57 pm

Umberto Uderzo wrote:But to avoid the color correction to affect the fusion graphics, i duplicate the original clip, do the fusion graphics on the clone (resetting the color correction), then when all is ok i remove the video clip input from the fusion clip so only the fusion graphics remains, and i overlay it over the original colored clip.
You can overlay fusion graphics in the color page without duplicating the clip.
You need to add a second MediaOut and connect your graphics there
Mediaout2.jpg
Mediaout2.jpg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Go to the color page, right click and select "Add Source". Add a transform effect to merge the original clip with the graphics you created in fusion (you need Resolve 18 for this)
TransformFX.jpg
TransformFX.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 837 times

This way you can grade the clip & graphics separately.
You can give it a try to see if the jitter happens.

Umberto Uderzo

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 12:57 am

I tried as you suggested but with odd results.

Added two media out nodes. Checked that each node has a different index (0 for the clip, 1 for the composition).
Then in the color page i'm no more able to get the clip signal. Only the fusion overlay from new source. The original source shows some kind of "copy" of the fusion overlay instead of the original clip. But it looks more like the fusion overlay not animated (fixed frame).
It should be really simple concept but really i cannot wrap mi mind around this procedure. Or there is some kind of bug that is joking me.

Umberto

xunile

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:17 am

Did you right-click in the Color page Node editor and choose Add Source?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

panos_mts

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:47 am

Umberto Uderzo wrote:Then in the color page i'm no more able to get the clip signal. Only the fusion overlay from new source. The original source shows some kind of "copy" of the fusion overlay instead of the original clip. But it looks more like the fusion overlay not animated (fixed frame).
I have no idea what's wrong. I just tried again and it worked as expected.

Regarding the jittering when you disconnect the MediaIn, are you using optical flow?
I faced a similar problem in the past. I had a slowed down clip with optical flow and I wanted to add some graphics with the planar tracker. I used the same technique as you described in your first post. When the MediaIn was connected the clip and the graphics looked smooth, once I disconnected the MediaIn the graphics was jittery like the motion interpolation was set to nearest instead of optical flow.

Umberto Uderzo

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 7:52 am

I uploaded a short video clip trying to explain my issue directly on Resolve. Sorry for my rusted spoken english.

By the way, the composition uses a time speed node to control the callout animation in-out. I tried to remove it but i see no changes.

panos_mts

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 am

Does the MacroTool1 have any MediaOut inside?

Umberto Uderzo

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:24 am

You nailed it! The tool cannot be open in the GUI to be examined but pasting it in a text editor, the definition of the MediaOut is visible.
I tried altering it by setting its index to 1 and looks like it's working but when rendering i get a flickering result between the desired output and the "Media Offline" red screen. The media to be offline looks like to be the fusion composition.
I guess it's because now there are two MediaOut with index 1. Strange that with the tool routed to the original MediaOut with index 0 it worked.

But i'm happy to understand where the main issue is. How should i address the inner MediaOut issue then?

Thanks! Umberto

panos_mts

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:32 am

Go to the text editor and replace the MacroOperator with GroupOperator, paste it in fusion, open the group and delete the MediaOut

Umberto Uderzo

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 12:25 pm

Wonderful! It worked! Thank you so much.
Finally i got rid of this issue, that was mainly in my head :)

Thnak you again, you saved the day!

Return to DaVinci Resolve