Automate Position During Playback

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

doubleJ

Automate Position During Playback

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 4:21 am

Hello...
I shot some 2160p footage in portrait.
My intention was to create a 1080p video (in landscape), that I could move up/down as necessary (rock climbing video).
I know I can keyframe all those position movements, but it would be really cool if I could just hit play and drag the position around.
I can do that in the audio world by writing automation for volume and such.
Is that possible in the video world?
Thanks...
JJ

Jim Simon

Re: Automate Position During Playback

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:08 pm

I don't believe so.

But if you stop playback, you can move the image in the frame and doing so will create a new keyframe. (If you already have one set.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

doubleJ

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:But if you stop playback, you can move the image in the frame and doing so will create a new keyframe. (If you already have one set.)

So you don't have to manually add each keyframe and move?
That would speed things up.
JJ

panos_mts

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:56 pm

You can automate in fusion. Add a transform node, add a keyframe, press play and move the parameter in the inspector. All your movements will be recorded automatically in keyframes.
If you want to animate directly from the viewer, select the transform node and click on Draw append (the pencil icon above the viewer), press play and move the transform node in the viewer.

Since the clip has different aspect ratio, when you open it in fusion, it will appear at the source resolution, not the timeline resolution as you see it on the edit page. You can't reframe it this way. You have to add a background node, set the alpha to 0, go to the image tab, uncheck the auto resolution, set width/height to 1920x1080 and merge it with a merge node
fusion.png
fusion.png (8.14 KiB) Viewed 964 times

doubleJ

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 4:19 pm

panos_mts wrote:You can automate in fusion. Add a transform node, add a keyframe, press play and move the parameter in the inspector. All your movements will be recorded automatically in keyframes.
If you want to animate directly from the viewer, select the transform node and click on Draw append (the pencil icon above the viewer), press play and move the transform node in the viewer.

Since the clip has different aspect ratio, when you open it in fusion, it will appear at the source resolution, not the timeline resolution as you see it on the edit page. You can't reframe it this way. You have to add a background node, set the alpha to 0, go to the image tab, uncheck the auto resolution, set width/height to 1920x1080 and merge it with a merge node
fusion.png

Thanks, a lot...
I'm rather unfamiliar with Fusion, so I'll have to play around with what you said.
JJ

doubleJ

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 5:23 am

panos_mts wrote:You can automate in fusion. Add a transform node, add a keyframe, press play and move the parameter in the inspector. All your movements will be recorded automatically in keyframes.

Since the clip has different aspect ratio, when you open it in fusion, it will appear at the source resolution, not the timeline resolution as you see it on the edit page. You can't reframe it this way. You have to add a background node, set the alpha to 0, go to the image tab, uncheck the auto resolution, set width/height to 1920x1080 and merge it with a merge node.

That worked!!!
I did the vertical movements and I'd like to do some horizontal and zoom movements.
Can I do them as extra steps in the same Transform node or should I create nodes for each movement?
Thanks...
JJ

panos_mts

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 5:59 am

The Size keyframes are separate, you can do it later as an extra step.

If you want to animate the X and Y axis separately, right click on the "Center" parameter and select Modify With -> XY Path, go to the modifiers tab and you will see the X & Y as separate parameters.

Return to DaVinci Resolve