Critical Bug: Autosaving & saving stops working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Videodr0me

Critical Bug: Autosaving & saving stops working

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 2:00 pm

Version 17.4.1 Build 4 Studio on Windows 10, live save on, project backups on, backups every 10 min, hourly backups for past 2h, daily backups for past 2 days.

Bug report:
- started work at about 8:00
- no error messages on the occasional manual saves
- finished work at approx 11:30 and saved again manually
- tried to close davinci (fully believing everything is saved through my manual saves and a number of autosaves)
- davinci complained that the project is not saved and gave me the option to save
- I clicked on save and again I did not get an error message
- tried to close davinci again, and got the same requester that the project is not saved
- clicked on save again, and tried again to close davinci -> got the same requester
- canceled and tried to save through the file menu, again no error message as if davinci saved everything
- again could not close davinci, as davinci complained that the project has not been saved
- now i did something (in hindsight) stupid, i closed davinci and clicked no to saving
- davinci closed
- loaded davinci again and to my horror everything since 8:45 is lost
- last autosave on 08:45:47, no further autosaves
- all of my manual saves are gone
- no folders/files created in C:\Users\XYZ\Videos\Resolve Project Backups after 8:45

Please fix this and add an extra error check when saving and autosaving. Autosaving and saving should at least throw a large visible error message if there were problems during saving. I would advise to add an extra check that at least makes sure that the backup-folder actually has been created or that the database has a new entry. Its strange that when leaving davinci, it suddenly knows the project has not been saved, even though multiple manual saves and multiple autosaves did not throw any error.

k2blades540

Re: Critical Bug: Autosaving & saving stops working

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 11:56 pm

Want to confirm this has not been fixed and just occurred to me with the exact same steps in Studio 18. Three hours of lost work. Not a single error message. Project backups also stopped being performed - not a single error message.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:01 am

Terrible bug!
Temporary workaround: export the timeline you're working on (as a drt). Then load it back into your project after restarting Resolve.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

panos_mts

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:24 am

This bug has been reported by some other users here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=163317
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=156589

My brother is also facing the same problem on his PC. As he said, it usually happens when he is using the retime controls to stretch a clip. I can't reproduce it on my system.

k2blades540

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:39 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Terrible bug!
Temporary workaround: export the timeline you're working on (as a drt). Then load it back into your project after restarting Resolve.

Thankfully that's the easy solution, but only if you realize the project hasn't actually been saved and hasn't been getting backed up BEFORE you close the program. An error message would help greatly with that.

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:42 am

We have no control. The devs watch this forum and do as they do.

Hopefully they’ll both find and fix the bug - and add some extra validation so when saving isn’t working the program knows and announces it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Marc Wielage

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 2:00 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:Terrible bug! Temporary workaround: export the timeline you're working on (as a drt). Then load it back into your project after restarting Resolve.

Actually, when this bug hit us about a year ago, we tried to export a DRT or even the whole project, and we got an error message that said, "Must save before export -- internal error, cannot save." Or words to that effect. Once it gets to that point, you're dead. If you check the session in the Project Manager, it'll tell you when your last save took effect. If it says "4 hours ago," then everything you've done since then is gone.

I want to point out this is a rare problem, but it does happen. I should've known better, because usually when I manually save, I'll see a progress bar for a split-second... but I hadn't been seeing it for an hour or two. I didn't lose a ton of work from this, but it was a huge annoyance. I try to keep a close eye on save activity nowadays, and the problem never happened again.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Joe Shapiro

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 2:19 am

My understanding is that while exporting a whole project doesn’t work in this case, exporting just a timeline does. I hope so but can’t be sure as this hasn’t bitten me in quite a while so I haven’t had the opportunity to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Resolve 18.6.6

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 2:59 am

k2blades540 wrote:Want to confirm this has not been fixed and just occurred to me with the exact same steps in Studio 18. Three hours of lost work. Not a single error message. Project backups also stopped being performed - not a single error message.

Was this with 18.0.1?
Where is your local database stored, on your C drive?
Is the hard drive almost full, of cache?
Did this project start in v18 or was it an upgrade from 17.x?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Charles Bennett

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 4:14 pm

Peter, I have had this happen as well. All is well early on but as time progresses, say 3 hours or more, saving stops working. This is with manual Ctrl+S and not Auto save. Project started in Studio 18.0.1. Then the only way to exit Resolve was to close it without saving.

Studio 18.0.1
Database on C drive
Video clips on second internal SSD
No Proxy Media
C drive has more than half it's capacity available.
Caching not in use.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

k2blades540

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 11:47 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:
k2blades540 wrote:Want to confirm this has not been fixed and just occurred to me with the exact same steps in Studio 18. Three hours of lost work. Not a single error message. Project backups also stopped being performed - not a single error message.

Was this with 18.0.1?
Where is your local database stored, on your C drive?
Is the hard drive almost full, of cache?
Did this project start in v18 or was it an upgrade from 17.x?

It was with whatever the initial full release of 18 studio was.

Database was on a QNAP server, but I've had it happen on local C: databases too.

Nothing is close to full.

Project started on the version that had the issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve