Fusion v18 can’t be used

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AUROCH

Fusion v18 can’t be used

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 12:20 pm

Z270 Asus mbrd, 32GB 3200 ram, 2 x 1TB Nvme SSD RTX2080Ti-11GB GPU, Latest Studio driver, Dual 32 inch monitors, 7200 rpm 4TB HDD x 3 , 1 x 1TB SATA HDD, 3 of 4 and 6 TB USB drives
Win10 PRO Build 19044, DVR Studio 18 final version as just released. SSD used for Cache

FUSION PAGE PART OBSURED BY META DATA PANEL WHICH CANT BE MOVED OR DELETED
Before installing 18, ran sfc /scannow, checked with DISM, Ran full virus scan all OK

1. Uninstalled V17 after ensuring data base backed up again
2. Installed V18 OK and restored database as per 18 instruction OK
A: 18 installed OK, projects appeared (test projects used all finalised in 17 and run OK there) , but
then downhill as:
B. All media reported offline, had to re link all of them
C. At first things looked great, being able to see full screen video clip in 2nd monitor while still editing
and have multiple timelines stacked up a great relief. BUT when in Fusion I get a large Metadata
info panel which totally obscures many icons , cannot access Paint, etc etc as this panel cannot be
moved or deleted . Spent much time trying to, no success...so cant use most of Fusion
D. Sometimes this Metadata panel changes position from upper left of screen to hide part of Nodes
area when I bring in another clip, but I can then access Paint and etc, Scrolling the Nodes down
reveals my simple Nodes, but not a "busy" Nodes area,
E: But after scrolling to see my Nodes sometimes the "Return" taskbar totally disappear, that s I cant
return to EDIT or any other page in Resolve and have to exit Resolve completely
(The Win taskbar is still there)
F: If I try to access "Clips" and copy a fusion effect from one clip to others, the Nodes do not copy
over to the other clips, and when in Edit page nothing has been done (Edit page is at Inspector)
When I switch back to Fusion ALL my Nodes I had set up in the clip to copy from are GONE!!!

These problem exist whether in dual monitor mode or single monitor (and not clean video feed)
I've repeated the above several times with different projects and have similar experiences.
Regretfully I cant use 18 as I use Fusion a lot . Colour Page seems to work, but the Fusion page seems to be the main culprit
As others are using 18 without such problems ?? its likely and incompatibility issue with hardware, but 17 works fine with it
Anyone else having such issues? (and what did you do to fix 'em !!!!)

Regards
John Byers

Andy Mees

Re: MOST OF FUSION IN v18 CANT BE USED AS HIDDEN

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 12:42 pm

Hey John
Maybe post some screenshots so folks can see exactly what you're seeing / describing.
Some obvious questions, apologies, but did you try Workspace menu > Reset UI Layout? What screen resolution are you working with? Are you able to navigate pages using the Workspace menu > Switch to Page functions and/or the associated standard keyboard shortcuts?
Regarding using the Clips panel to copy node trees from one clip to another, I think this changed in R18... previously was a middle click, now its right click and Apply.
Cheers
Andy

maarten

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 4:14 pm

AUROCH wrote:Sometimes this Metadata panel changes position from upper left of screen to hide part of Nodes

Having the same issue here and experienced this several times now. It's pretty disturbing the workflow :roll:

Here's my thread about it of earlier today with a screenshot:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=165498

AUROCH

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 4:34 am

Andy Mees wrote:Hey John
Maybe post some screenshots so folks can see exactly what you're seeing / describing.
Some obvious questions, apologies, but did you try Workspace menu > Reset UI Layout? What screen resolution are you working with? Are you able to navigate pages using the Workspace menu > Switch to Page functions and/or the associated standard keyboard shortcuts?
Regarding using the Clips panel to copy node trees from one clip to another, I think this changed in R18... previously was a middle click, now its right click and Apply.
Cheers
Andy

Andy Mees wrote:Hey John
Cheers
Andy

Thank you Andy. Please excuse delay in reply as we have had intermittent power outages here during stormy weather.
I note Maarten has had the same issue and has posted a screen shot which you could refer to as I am not sure as to how to place a photo/screen shot to the group as yet. (You can do a screen shot and use "upload attachment" here??) However I've gone back to 17 Studio as there has been other issues with 18 and could not afford the loss of time.
But before that I found your comment on doing a User I/face (UI) layout worked ! I am embarrassed to say so since I have had to use this a few times in 17 so should have known to try this , but I had assumed that a totally fresh start with a new install would have presented a "clean" standard layout and since all I had changed was to match the Master Settings etc to the frame rate/res of the few test clips imported, which varied from PAL to YouTube 1084 to mov at DNxHR HQ and same at HD and all had same problem, so I did not think a UI reset was needed. I now stand corrected!
But I still think its a bug as it should not have displayed this Meta Data panel in Fusion at a just "out of the box" fresh install ??

My other issue was a known good project within the imported, then 18 converted 17 data base with weird effects under 18. The video ran with parts of the clip cut out in 17 still displaying and the audio track extended way past the video track with consequent massive delays in audio sync
That was when I uninstalled S18 and went back to S17 This was a mov file at DNxHR HD, which may have tried my 4.2 GH i7 cpu , but then it had worked fine under S17, so ???

I am disappointed to have done so as many aspects of 18 looked great, the video clean feed being a huge benefit to me. I have a new build sitting unused on the floor waiting for parts (AMD T/Ripper PRO on an Asus PRO WS WRX80E mbrd and 1600W PSU) and when I finally get the cooling sorted and get 1

28GB of recommended RAM (this no longer available here in Oz) and a newer GPU I shall install my 2nd copy of Studio18 on that and see what happens.

Meanwhile I appreciate your answer and advice Andy, thank you

Roen Davis

Re: Fusion v18 can’t be used

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 4:52 am

I have found the metadata panel in Fusion to be a problem since V17 but it has never been a showstopper. I have done some (for me at least) challenging Fusion work successfully. I find the "Reset UI" helpful when struggling with the Metadata in Fusion.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

maarten

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 2:42 pm

> I note Maarten has had the same issue and has posted a screen shot which you could refer to as I am not sure as to how to place a photo/screen shot to the group as yet. (You can do a screen shot and use "upload attachment" here??)

@AUROCH
Uploading a screenshot is basically first creating a screenshot whith your own local application of choice (when you're on Windows 10 you could do it with the pre-installed application 'Snip & Sketch' and save that to file (like a jpg). You can then upload that image file here:
- Open the 'Upload attachment' tab
- Click 'choose File' and pick your screenshot file from your disc
- Add an optional 'File comment' in the textfield below if you whish
- Click 'Add the file' to upload the file and add it to the comment here, from that moment when submitting your comment the file is present in your comment
- If you want to show the image inline within your comment (recommended) instead of letting people download the file by attachment you can click a button to paste it inline at the location of the cursor within the text (however, I cannot test that here now as this forum is extreeeeeeeeeeemely slow and has an issue at the moment even letting me preview this message or add a small file. Probably the server cannot handle the amount of visitors at the moment. Hope submit works)

Hope this helps!

maarten

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 6:44 pm

Roen Davis wrote:I have found the metadata panel in Fusion to be a problem since V17 but it has never been a showstopper. I have done some (for me at least) challenging Fusion work successfully. I find the "Reset UI" helpful when struggling with the Metadata in Fusion.

In that case we'll ask Blackmagic to create a special version of Resolve just for you with this bug still in it, while we continue working with a version where it's fixed ;)

Return to DaVinci Resolve