fusion - view on decklink monitor?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Leslie Wand

fusion - view on decklink monitor?

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 4:00 am

i've finally decided to start learning fusion, (somewhat late in life) so if the following question is dumb, forgive me...

when working on a fusion clip in the fusion page, i can see what's going on in the viewer (ie. the complete picture), but my external decklink monitor doesn't update (it will when i switch to the edit page).

i have read and gathered that fusion has 'viewer' dots under each node, and when i select the 'decklink' on any specific node to view it - i get the result on the ex. monitor. however, i don't seem to be able to get the 'complete' fusion output there, since clicking on another node cancels my previous selection...

can anyone explain what i should be doing, or point me to a useful tut / video about how to view fusion 'live' on an external monitor, please? (i have trawled through the manual to no discernible benefit, though if it's on a specific page, please advise me).

stay well
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Roen Davis

Re: fusion - view on decklink monitor?

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 5:12 am

For me the external monitor is #3. I guess its that way for everyone. If you select a node and hit "3" it should put the output of that node in your external viewer. the "Mediaout" node is the usual place to select #3
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Leslie Wand

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 am

hi roen, thanks for the reply. appreciated.

i think, perhaps, my problems is / was (not in front of the pc at the moment) that i was selecting #3 (decklink on my setup as well), on all individual nodes BUT not on the output. if that is the case, i can only hang my head in shame and blame it on age ;-)

whilst i applaud bm's magnificent manual, it does pose some problems when searching for specific items, and more so if one doesn't actually know the correct terminology of the item in the first place.

meanwhile, i now seem to be turning into a jack of all trades and master of none ;-)
www.lesliewand.com.au
sony ex3, sony a6400

Roen Davis

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 6:17 am

Leslie Wand wrote:
meanwhile, i now seem to be turning into a jack of all trades and master of none ;-)

It is the only way in an ever changing landscape. I have just done a logo removal job on a soccer team using planar tracker, point tracker and surface tracker. It worked out far better than I predicted.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Leslie Wand

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:04 am

sounds like a political whitewash job, ha ha ;-)

funnily enough, was watching an old movie last night that revolved around a tv reporter in the early '80s;
producer (fixer), interviewer, director, cameraman, sound man, gaffer, and not to forget the driver (gofer), who then rushed their story back to the studio to the editor (the part i identified most closely with), who then did a cut, sent it out to sound mix, visual fx, then graphics, etc., etc., each to his own speciality...

i think i'm glad that i'm well out of it nowadays.

but that won't lessen my desire to try and master fusion ;-)
www.lesliewand.com.au
sony ex3, sony a6400

Return to DaVinci Resolve