[bug] Database corruption when moving bins

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Devonavar

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 7:19 pm

I'm experiencing silent database corruption when moving bins (I'm using 18.0.1 Studio, but I have no reason to believe it's unique to this version). I'm in the process of reorganizing my footage, so I'm consolidating bins into other bins.

When I do this, everything appears to work correctly ... until I leave Resolve. The next time I open the project, the bins show up as "invisible" folders, without names, and the bins are completely empty, with all clips and timelines missing from the project (this can be partially confirmed by looking at the "timeline" count in the project manager — corrupt projects show fewer total timelines). This screenshot shows what that looks like:
Screenshot from 2022-08-11 12-08-03.png
Screenshot of what corruption looks like.
Screenshot from 2022-08-11 12-08-03.png (82.91 KiB) Viewed 748 times

The only way to recover is to restore from backup.

I've spent the better part of a day trying to diagnose exactly what conditions cause this to happen, but it seems fairly inconsistent. Sometimes the corruption happens on the first bin move, other times I can move a few things around without a problem. Once the problem strikes, it seems to affect every bin move after that.

Right now I'm managing the problem by backing up the project before I move a bin, but the cycle of backing up and restoring projects is quite time-consuming, not to mention it doesn't give me confidence that my project is safe.

If anyone can help me track down the reason this is happening so Blackmagic can fix it, I'd be grateful.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: [bug] Database corruption when moving bins

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 3:04 am

Can you review the FAQs re generating diagnostic log, and post a link to those, your NFO, and the drp of the project.

ideally also a phone video showing whats happening.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Devonavar

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 7:04 pm

My project file is nearly 200MB, and I'm not super comfortable sharing it. I can definitely share the rest when I get a chance.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 7:36 pm

Very concerning that this is happening, and I sure hope you can give BMD enough info - preferably in a small reproducible test case - to fix it.

I’m sure they’re going to try very hard to find the problem on their own but without being able to reproduce it it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack for any developer. So the likelihood of a timely fix is, to a great extent, in your hands.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Devonavar

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 7:53 pm

I might try taking it offline via phone support (that way I can send them a project file that I know will stay secure). But, I can't export any logs until nobody is working on the project, so it probably won't happen until the weekend.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 8:03 pm

You can also PM them here. I don’t think you can contact the actual developer group through phone support. But until you have either a test case or can send them a private link to your drp there may not be much more to tell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Devonavar

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 10:24 pm

Ok, I'm sending everything via a PM.

As a public update: I'm now reproducing a slightly different bug: In the current version of my project I can no longer reproduce the corruption. Instead, when I try to move bins, the next time I open the project, the bins revert to where they started. Optimistically, I think this means that Resolve is already detecting the potential for corruption and is preventing the move from happening. It's still a bug, because I can't move the bins, but it's a much better result than out-and-out corruption.

I've done a fair bit of work on the project in the two days between my first report and now, but I would speculate that the relevant difference is that I gave (nearly) every bin in my project a bin colour. This would be enough to re-write the bin's database entry. I would further speculate that this bug (both bugs) are a result of the upgrade to the v18 database format, and the reason the nature of the bug has changed is because the newer project now has my bins in the "correct" v18 format due to the bin colour change.

I can still reproduce the original corruption bug if I revert to my August 10th backup, and try to move bins in that project, so I've sent both to Blackmagic, and hopefully that will help them track down the source cause.
Devon Cooke

The Hands that Feed Us
Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve