Studio License Deactivation Before MacOS Clean Install?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sean Weaver

Studio License Deactivation Before MacOS Clean Install?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 1:35 am

Almost certainly, this is probably....a stupid question. But I've spent 4 days now studying, preparing, and rehearsing every other possible scenario so I have to ask to have finished it all....

I bought my current computer last year with Catalina on it and put Resolve Studio on it with the activation key from my cameras. I am going to update the macOS in the next day or two (with bootable backups already tested and confirmed to be good), and from my simulation I just performed on the bootable backup, it wants my Activation Key to load Resolve upon any fresh-install (but I didn't enter it because no use in having BMD think it's on two computers when it's just my bootable backup for the moment). My plan is ultimately to perform a fresh macOS install on the internal Mac drive but I'll probably audition a new OS first on a bootable external before really committing. Big Sur has been suggested so I'm leaning towards holding off on Monterey, but in any event, it'll be a fresh/clean install on my Mac when I commit to this. As I prepare to make the switch....

Should I De-Activate the license first on Catalina, or is Resolve/BlackMagic going to link up with the new operating system and application reinstall as my primary/first/only computer running Resolve?

I didn't want to wind up in an unforeseen situation where Resolve still thinks it's activated on a deleted/old operating system just because I didn't ask this question and de-activate prior to a re-install. Thanks for any information you can provide. It's the last thing I thought of to be irrationally anxious about
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Jim Simon

Re: Studio License Deactivation Before MacOS Clean Install?

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 3:06 am

Sean Weaver wrote:Should I De-Activate the license first on Catalina
Yes.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

John Lewis

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 5:36 am

I would certainly.recommend deactivating. Every month I back up my drive and do this for several pieces of software so that in the event of doing a restore I know that I can Activate again.
I9 9900k, 32mb Ram, GTX1070Ti, IP4K, ZE1OI, Bcf2000, Loupedeck CT, Resolve 18.64 SpeedEditor

Sean Weaver

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 6:35 am

Thank you. Glad I asked!!!
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve