Key colour picker not working--wtf am I missing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

weebjail

Key colour picker not working--wtf am I missing?

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 2:07 pm

I'm trying to use the luma key effect and I literally can't pick a colour. I can't click it, I can't drag the picker, it just literally doesn't respond to me trying to pick a colour. It's not working for any of the key effects. What am I missing here?

weebjail

Re: Key colour picker not working--wtf am I missing?

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 2:34 pm

Okay, so I found out I have to select the FX overlay for this to work. That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Question: why would I not want to always see the effects I've put on, especially since there's an 'off' switch, and why do I not have to do this for literally every other effect I put on, such as blur? Nothing about this makes sense. What!?!? This is even worse than Premiere. Seriously, what? I'm actually offended by how dumb this is.

Jim Simon

PostThu Aug 19, 2021 3:52 pm

So use Premiere Pro if you prefer its operation.

Freedom baby! :D
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

chrponce

PostWed Dec 29, 2021 1:35 am

weebjail wrote:Okay, so I found out I have to select the FX overlay for this to work. That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Question: why would I not want to always see the effects I've put on, especially since there's an 'off' switch, and why do I not have to do this for literally every other effect I put on, such as blur? Nothing about this makes sense. What!?!? This is even worse than Premiere. Seriously, what? I'm actually offended by how dumb this is.

Is not dumb man! Is the correct way to use it because you can do a lot of things within the viewer like transform through boxes, dynamic zoom, annotations of may other functions that wouldnt be active all the time.

I think dumb is to compare Davinci with other tools like Premiere, for instance, because every software has its own workflow and way to use, so I think that to learn the software deeply is the smartest thing. :lol:

n_louis

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:25 am

I still can't do anything with any of the keyer FX options. Even with Open FX Overlay set to on, the keyer is still completely non functional. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Resolve Studio 18.6.2
M2 Ultra 64GB
macOS Ventura 13.4

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:22 am

Yet another post where a new is frustrated by the non-obviousness of the UI and people jump all over them.
Sigh.

Yes Resolve is powerful. Yes Resolve is harder to learn because its UI is unintuitive and doesn't lead you in the right direction when you haven't set things up right.

I think the OP is not wrong here to be surprised and disappointed. "Go use Premiere" is not particularly constructive.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Roen Davis

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:35 am

I guess if Martin was offended by how dumb it is, he will be even more offended by the comments...

Let us hope he finds the perfect NLE - for him.
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Return to DaVinci Resolve