DaVinci Studio 18 Several PC Crashes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BartReynaard

DaVinci Studio 18 Several PC Crashes

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:18 pm

i'm desperate I can't even work

I'm editing just a YT short (vertical format 1080x1920 57 seconds long)
The timeline has 2 footages, and 3 audiotracks:

2 mono (for the speech in 2 languages .. I need to export the videos 2 times: one for each language)
1 small music

I disabled aslo the autosave and the backup (thinking it was due these for any reason).

DaVinci 18 still crashing after few minutes i'm editing. It doesn't crash only the app. It crashes the PC totally, turning it off.

Yes I wrote an email using the Form of the website, but I couldn't attach the logs.
However I don't know if any log is produced during the crash, being these so immediate.

The hardware and daVinci Version I use, is in my signature here below
Operating System Windows 11 Pro

Di d someone else got this kind of issue?
Bart
________
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

Prod. Machine: Ryzen 7 64GB 3.54 GHz
Video: MSI GeForce 4060Ti 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x1440 widescreen, 2 x 1920 x 1080 16:9
Audio: Behringer UMC1820
Blackmagic Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Studio 18 Several PC Crashes

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 4:46 pm

Is your system shutting down while working in the timeline, or only when rendering?

Resolve can't crash your PC. That sounds like a CPU or GPU or power supply issue. When Resolve renders a timeline, all 3 of those items are under maximum stress. If your system cooling is inadequate, and the CPU or GPU overheats, that might cause the system to shut down. You can use the Windows Task Manager - Performance tab to monitor temps and see if that might be an issue. If your power supply is inadequate, or failing, or not being supplied with adequate AC, it could fail under a render load and cause the system to shut down. Also check power connections to the GPU. The use of 6 to 8 pin adapters or power Y adapters, or inadequate seating of the GPU power connectors can cause issues like this.

You can send us the following normal Resolve troubleshooting info, but if the system is shutting down, this info is likely not going to be helpful. Also send a Project Export .drp of the project you are using when the system shuts down.

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

hockinsk

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 6:04 pm

You might be wise to look at Windows Event Viewer and see if it helps. I do experience it freezing the entire PC and the only solution is to reboot Windows if that's what you mean by crashed your PC. I'd say this is relatively common though, I couldn't really work out what might be causing it, other than it seems related to ASIO and it thinking it has a connection, when in fact it's lost connection, tried to play the timeline and then falls over when editing.
Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

BartReynaard

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 8:01 pm

Please @Dwaine

here the link https://wetransfer.com/downloads/613989 ... 920/fb526f

There are 2 Log files.
One fore each crash (the first 2 occurred. But I got several ones, meanwhile)

And there is the .NFO file you asked for

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Is your system shutting down while working in the timeline, or only when rendering?

During the rendering often it makes crash the video driver (AMD).
While the sudden switch off, is when I'm into the EDIT or into the FAIRLIGHT (at least I had to work on these 2 tabs; No color correction and not Fusion)
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 4:30 am

I've got a Windows 10 system with an RX580 running the AMD 22.5.1 driver and it's not having those sorts of issues. But, it could be something with Windows 11.

There are no crash dumps in any of the Resolve crash logs. Is Resolve crashing to the desktop, or is it hanging and you are force quitting it?

It looks like you are running Hyper-V. People have reported issues in the past with Resolve and Hyper-V. As a test, can you exit Hyper-V mode and see if that affects the Resolve crashing?

And can you send a project export .drp file of the REAPER TEMPO #SHORT project?
Dwaine Maggart

BartReynaard

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 8:40 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I've got a Windows 10 system with an RX580 running the AMD 22.5.1 driver and it's not having those sorts of issues. But, it could be something with Windows 11.

There are no crash dumps in any of the Resolve crash logs. Is Resolve crashing to the desktop, or is it hanging and you are force quitting it?

It looks like you are running Hyper-V. People have reported issues in the past with Resolve and Hyper-V. As a test, can you exit Hyper-V mode and see if that affects the Resolve crashing?

When I'm working on the video, suddenly the PC switches off. The 2 reports I sent, are made after having restarted the PC and I ran DaVinci to export the reports.

Yes I'm running Hyper-V but not when I'm within DaVinci. I use Hyper-V only when I'm busy with some development. Should I disable it via BIOS?

I sent to you a link in Private Message with the .DRP, since Im' a bit reluctant to share projects in public (except when they are mad on purpose as an example etc)
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

iakobei

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 9:49 am

Similar thing happened to me and I'm quite desperate. I had previously upgraded from DaVinci 16 to 17 with no problems. With around 400 hours of editing, Resolve crashed maybe twice and there was only occasional lagging from time to time. Since upgrading to DaVinci 18, it's basically unusable. It has been like that for app. 2 weeks.

The first time it happened, my PC froze and I had to manually turn it off. When I turned it on, as the Windows was loading, it froze. Happened couple of times. I turned the PC off from electricity and turned it back on after couple of minutes. It said that the PC didn't turn off properly and it gave me couple of options. Restart led to the same outcome but once I picked 'start windows normally' the PC worked properly again. I don't want to do this every time the program crashes and it does every time I work in Davinci for up to 10-15 minutes (just editing, playing the videos). First there's like a glitched sound, it lags a lot, even if I turn it off, the PC will freeze within a couple of minutes. My PC got a bit crazy since then once in Pixlr while editing a photo. I don't remember now whether it crashed, but I had to restart the chrome for Pixlr to work.

My PC specs are below, I did check the health of SSD, the cooling of the PC, ran a few diagnostics apps and the hardware seems to be intact. I'm not really a PC expert to be honest, I have a friend who's an IT guy so I discussed this with him. There are 2 things left to check from his suggestions - trying a different power source (which I will need someone to do) and trying DaVinci 17 whether it'll behave in the same way. But I'll loose all of my projects then so that's not necessarily a solution. Oh, and reinstalling Windows while keeping the apps. I'll uninstall Davinci before that but he said that may not really solve the problem.

PC specs:
DaVinci Resolve 18.0.1 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (updated yesterday)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.70 GHz
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8 GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE
Monitor: Samsung s22b150n

Robert Niessner

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:23 pm

You could run a stress test utilizing CPU and GPU to see if the system can handle the load:
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/powermax.html
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:37 pm

BartReynaard wrote:I use Hyper-V only when I'm busy with some development. Should I disable it via BIOS?
Yes. Ideally an edit system should be for editing only. No games, email, office, security, development, etc. Do those things on a second system.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

joema4

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:...Resolve can't crash your PC. That sounds like a CPU or GPU or power supply issue...

I want to reiterate this because it is commonly misunderstood. That leads to a non-productive wild goose chase making changes up at the application layer.

In general no regular user-mode app is responsible for crashing the operating system, on either Windows or MacOS. The operating system is protected from the app by the CPU's hardware-enforced memory management. It it were possible for a regular app bug to crash a computer, then a malicious programmer could use that method to crash thousands of computers.

There are exceptions to this if the app uses a kernel-mode device driver but normally you know when that is installed.

The platform may have an underlying weakness that only shows up under certain types of sustained stress. That doesn't mean it's the app's fault. E.g, if a legally-loaded but heavy truck driving across a deficient rusted bridge causes a collapse, the problem will never be solved by blaming the truck or saying "it didn't collapse when a different truck crossed it yesterday".

BartReynaard

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 11:34 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I've got a Windows 10 system with an RX580 running the AMD 22.5.1 driver and it's not having those sorts of issues. But, it could be something with Windows 11.

Hello Dwaine I read your private message. I re-sent the link hoping it's not removed by the system (I verified it by previewing the message upfront the sending) It's a wetransfer link
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

jlouis

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 12:29 pm

BartReynaard wrote:While the sudden switch off, is when I'm into the EDIT or into the FAIRLIGHT (at least I had to work on these 2 tabs; No color correction and not Fusion)

If the whole PC switches off, this screams hardware problems all over the place.

1st thing to check: cooling. Get something like HWMonitor so you can see what's going on with temperature and fan speeds. Most CPUs power off around the boiling point of water. When they aren't loaded, they clock down. This means they'll demand less voltage, and thus produce way less heat. So it might be able to boot and do lighter work. Thermal paste and pads can fail over time, especially with an older system. A faulty fan means you can't dissipate heat away from the cooling solution, so you are limited to passive cooling which is far more limiting in what it can handle.

2nd thing to check: bad RAM. Run a memory check. Windows has a memory diagnostic built in. Just run it at some point while you are not using the system. Bad RAM often manifests itself via blue-screens though, and more rarely though entire system crashes.

3rd thing to check: PSU problems. Modern GPUs draws a lot of power, and they produce some pretty wild transient spikes in power draw. This can trip cheaper PSUs power protection, even if the PSU is rated high enough in what it can supply. This means you can go from no load to maximal load on the edit page when you do an edit and the system will run work in the background. That produces a power transient, and if large enough from both GPU and CPU at the same time, you'll have a trip.

If the system is unstable like this, you might just have been lucky in the past, because of different load patterns on the system. So better check the above points to rule out that these are inflicting on the stability as a whole.

BartReynaard

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 3:32 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
BartReynaard wrote:I use Hyper-V only when I'm busy with some development. Should I disable it via BIOS?
Yes. Ideally an edit system should be for editing only. No games, email, office, security, development, etc. Do those things on a second system.

Even disabling that feature didn't solve the issue. So it' is not.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 9:53 pm

Doesn't look like anything challenging that should be stressing the system.

Playing and scrubbing the YT Main Rect timeline (the one selected when I open the project) is not causing any issues on my RX580 system, using the same 22.5.1 AMD driver you are using.

The only odd thing I see is that the video clips are .mkv clips, and from their names, I assume they are from OBS. Maybe something about them Resolve doesn't like? But I wouldn't expect that.

But, if you want to PM me a link with the media for the project, that would be the best way to tell for sure. If you do that, might as well send the PNG and audio clips as well, so I've got the complete package.
Dwaine Maggart

BartReynaard

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:44 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Doesn't look like anything challenging that should be stressing the system.

Playing and scrubbing the YT Main Rect timeline (the one selected when I open the project) is not causing any issues on my RX580 system, using the same 22.5.1 AMD driver you are using.

The only odd thing I see is that the video clips are .mkv clips, and from their names, I assume they are from OBS. Maybe something about them Resolve doesn't like? But I wouldn't expect that.

But, if you want to PM me a link with the media for the project, that would be the best way to tell for sure. If you do that, might as well send the PNG and audio clips as well, so I've got the complete package.

Ok I will zip and send you the .DRA in minutes

Yes those are MKVs produced by OBS. I never ever had problems with
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 9:55 am

Important:

I've been measuring the temperatures of CPU Cores and GPU.
CPU Cores are quite stable

[EDIT] Cores are increasing. I left it a while to check. Max temp is 68° they reached 65 after more time than the GPU. then I stop DaVinci: Temp dropped to 62 and still dropping[/EDIT]

GPU skyrockets ... from 53° to 65-67° quite quickly: by doing nothing.
I had DaVinci opened. Just the .DRA I sent to you @Dwain bt nothing: not play not anything.

Then I quit DaVinci and temperature plummet down to 53 in the time I wrote this message.
Now it's 52

With 17 never occurred this, indeed I never had protections entering while in DaVinci. And I have made several complex projects (the .DRA you got it's just really nothing).

I edite 1h episodes etc ... I can't work with 18 if it's behaving so
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

jlouis

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 am

BartReynaard wrote:Important:

I've been measuring the temperatures of CPU Cores and GPU.
CPU Cores are quite stable

Temperatures below 75C shouldn't be of any concern, cooling wise. Your gauges look entirely normal.

Modern systems usually clock up/down as they like, preferring the lower clock frequencies if possible. They can ramp up quickly if needed and you have more headroom for a load spike if you have a lower temperature from the start. Temperature will ramp up and down fairly quickly as load changes.

Resolve often runs some work in the background while you are idling in the UI, so it isn't entirely surprising your GPU/CPU is loaded. My expectation on a new version release is that a lot of cached data might need to be recomputed for the newer version, so it will mark a lot of earlier work stale and recompute as needed. This will incur some load.

However, you may have configured the card to run in a high clock rate all the time. In NVidias control panel this is "Prefer maximum performance", which tells the GPU to never clock down. In some games, this can be helpful so the card doesn't switch between a high-power and low-power states, destabilizing frame times in the process. For productivity software, it is likely just a waste of energy. Maybe AMD has some setting like this too.

Nick2021

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 12:32 pm

IIRC the "safe" temperature for the latest Intel chips is 105C!

BartReynaard

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:43 pm

Nick2021 wrote:IIRC the "safe" temperature for the latest Intel chips is 105C!

On my Signature there is my architecture. It's not Intel

However, if the temperature is so high also for AMD and I don't reach it, and only DaVinci triggers the sudden shut-off, something is wrong there ...
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Steve Alexander

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 1:49 pm

BartReynaard wrote:

However, if the temperature is so high also for AMD and I don't reach it, and only DaVinci triggers the sudden shut-off, something is wrong there ...

Could be your GPU hardware or I suppose your GPU driver. You might consider looking at Windows event logs and the crash log. Also, running your system through a stress test as suggested earlier in this thread might provide insight. Sounds like a problem with your system. Resolve may just provide enough stress on the system to reveal the issue. What do you think?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

BartReynaard

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:11 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:
BartReynaard wrote:

Could be your GPU hardware or I suppose your GPU driver. You might consider looking at Windows event logs and the crash log. Also, running your system through a stress test as suggested earlier in this thread might provide insight. Sounds like a problem with your system. Resolve may just provide enough stress on the system to reveal the issue. What do you think?

Update just now:

Crashed when GPU 71°C and CPU around 65°C. I was working on DaVinci.
I have made the memory stress test, but memory is ok.
The other tests (the kit suggested by Robert Niessner) is written I can risk my HW. Honestly I wouldn't go so far.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Nick2021

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 5:25 pm

BartReynaard wrote:

I noticed. The idea was to show you how far from hot you are. Your numbers rule out overheating.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 8:48 pm

I've loaded your .dra and have been playing the YT MAIN RECT timeline on the Color page continuously for 3 hours with no issues on my RX580 system. My GPU temp is 83C.

Is your system crashing just playing the timeline on the Color page, or do you have to be doing things like scrubbing on the Edit page to cause a crash?
Dwaine Maggart

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:05 am

BartReynaard wrote:
Update just now:

The other tests (the kit suggested by Robert Niessner) is written I can risk my HW. Honestly I wouldn't go so far.

From their FAQ:

Is there a risk to use powerMAX on my computer ? Can it really destroy my mainboard, my graphic card or my PSU ?
Generally speaking, there is no risk to run powerMAX on your system. The program uses no special trick but only common instructions that could be found in any other application, but in an intensive way that loads the target components. Most of these components are protected against overload and over heating, by reducing their activity or by switching a security fuse (shut down). However, on some very low-end and cheap devices (graphics cards, PSUs), the protection mechanism may not work properly, and that could definitely cause damage.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 8:57 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I've loaded your .dra and have been playing the YT MAIN RECT timeline on the Color page continuously for 3 hours with no issues on my RX580 system. My GPU temp is 83C.

Is your system crashing just playing the timeline on the Color page, or do you have to be doing things like scrubbing on the Edit page to cause a crash?

Hi Dwaine
I don't even use the Color page for these kind of edits. Those are just screencasts as you see.
In these cases (for such kind of video) I work mainly on Edit, Fairlight (for slight retouch of volumes) and Delivery
Actually I get two issues DRS 18 (here below listed by pages)

Please consider that it does only with DaVinci. Not any other application triggers these issues.

EDIT and FAIRLIGHT:
After a while I'm working in, suddenly the computer switches off (like protection).
A restart it's needed. Then I can go ahead to work till the other Switch off.

In the last day, I prevented this turning on regular basis off DaVinci and restart working on it a couple of minutes later. From figures above declared, it's not a temperature issue, like we were supposing initially)

DELIVERY
During rendering, after a while (I can't tell exactly how much, since it seems totally random), it seems DRS 18 is conflicting with the Video river. the AMD Driver crashes and I have to restart the rendering
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:01 am

Robert Niessner wrote:
BartReynaard wrote:
Update just now:

From their FAQ:

Is there a risk to use powerMAX on my computer ? Can it really destroy my mainboard, my graphic card or my PSU ?
Generally speaking, there is no risk to run powerMAX on your system. The program uses no special trick but only common instructions that could be found in any other application, but in an intensive way that loads the target components. Most of these components are protected against overload and over heating, by reducing their activity or by switching a security fuse (shut down). However, on some very low-end and cheap devices (graphics cards, PSUs), the protection mechanism may not work properly, and that could definitely cause damage.

Thank you Robert. I just was too careful then. I will try also this.

I would like also to see if any method to measure current spikes that can lead the PS to go in protection.
However, as I said, this occurs only with DRS 18. With 17 I never got this. And not even with any other application
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 am

BartReynaard wrote:Thank you Robert. I just was too careful then. I will try also this.

Yeah, when I read the red warning first I also thought what the...
But then saw the FAQ.

I think you should start with the CPU only burn-in first, then GPU only and if this still does not trigger a shutdown then test CPU + GPU.

Hopefully the results will give a clue where to look for the problem.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:49 am

Robert Niessner wrote:
BartReynaard wrote:Thank you Robert. I just was too careful then. I will try also this.

Yeah, when I read the red warning first I also thought what the...
But then saw the FAQ.

I think you should start with the CPU only burn-in first, then GPU only and if this still does not trigger a shutdown then test CPU + GPU.

Hopefully the results will give a clue where to look for the problem.

Done:
AVX ok max T 73°C
SSE ok max T 82°C
GPU 3440 x 1440 ok max T 79°C

Same values when combined. Not any switch off.

EDIT: I tried also the 5 minutes test. Up there teh CPU raised to 85°C GPU peaked to 79 then felt and stabilized to 77°C.
Fans where speeding up. A condition I never got within DRS 18 apart when I'm rendering.
Last edited by BartReynaard on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Uli Plank

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:53 am

Power draw?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:57 am

Uli Plank wrote:Power draw?

It's what I thought ... but after the powerMAX test I have made I exclude it .. as far as under DRS 18 thre is some strange peak power that turns off the PS .. but also there: I can understand with really loaded projects. But in my case, the last projects were very basic (more than basic: just 2 Shorts). And even without touching DRS 18 it occurred. So there is something else between DRS 18 and something on the MB that triggers this
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 10:36 am

Ok, that really seems to sort out a power or cooling problem.

I saw in your signature that you are using 3 monitors.
What happens if you reduce your setup to the 21:9 and one of the 16:9 monitors?

And - what about your Behringer audio interface?
Is this on the latest driver? Win 11 got officially supported only with v5.30.
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download ... 5.30.0.zip
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Ok, that really seems to sort out a power or cooling problem.

I saw in your signature that you are using 3 monitors.
What happens if you reduce your setup to the 21:9 and one of the 16:9 monitors?

And - what about your Behringer audio interface?
Is this on the latest driver? Win 11 got officially supported only with v5.30.
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download ... 5.30.0.zip

MONITORS:
I already thought to this and tried to avoid to use them, only the 21:9. The issue occurs.

AUDIO IF
Behringer Audio Interface: never got any issue. Drivers are updated 5.30.0 (as well Windows)

I never had issues with them. DRS 17 Worked fine. Issue popping up only with DRS 18

EDIT: I see there is an update of the Video drivers coming out the 12th of August. I try to update it and I will let her know
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 11:37 am

Ok after the installation of the new driver, I worked about 45 minutes then again: sudden switch off.

Temperatures: on both cases CPU and GPU from 66 to 72°C
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Hm, then - just to make sure - give it a try without having the audio interface connected?

Just some very long shots:
Any third-party anti-virus / internet security / firewall software installed besides the one from Microsoft?
Sometimes those tools dig and hook deep into the system, causing troubles.

Your project is called "REAPER TEMPO #SHORT" right?
What happens if you take out the "#" from the name? The usage of special characters can do all sorts of crazy things, although I wouldn't expect this to result in a computer crash ;-)

You have 64 GB of memory, the Debug.txt says: "Memory config: reserved=12273M pinned=4000M log=0"
I don't know if this is really about DVR user preferences memory restrictions, but maybe check in your DVR preferences how many memory you are allowing for DVR to use?

Then I saw that you have Dante Via installed, but an older version 1.1.2.1

There is a new version with Win 11 support:
https://my.audinate.com/content/dante-via-v1321-windows

Then there seems to be an older FocusRite driver installation been left.

Does Asio4all play a roll? There is v2.15 finally supporting Win 11

Then just to be sure I'd use Windows DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to check for any component errors:

Start a command line with admin rights.

Insert
Code: Select all
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

when that is finished insert
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

if that finds repairable errors, insert
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

when that's finished, let Windows scan for system file errors. Insert
sfc /scannow
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:08 pm

And another idea: try to re-install your new AMD driver but let it do a reset to factory defaults.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:10 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Hm, then - just to make sure - give it a try without having the audio interface connected?

Just some very long shots:
Any third-party anti-virus / internet security / firewall software installed besides the one from Microsoft?
Sometimes those tools dig and hook deep into the system, causing troubles.

Your project is called "REAPER TEMPO #SHORT" right?
What happens if you take out the "#" from the name? The usage of special characters can do all sorts of crazy things, although I wouldn't expect this to result in a computer crash ;-)

You have 64 GB of memory, the Debug.txt says: "Memory config: reserved=12273M pinned=4000M log=0"
I don't know if this is really about DVR user preferences memory restrictions, but maybe check in your DVR preferences how many memory you are allowing for DVR to use?

Then I saw that you have Dante Via installed, but an older version 1.1.2.1

There is a new version with Win 11 support:
https://my.audinate.com/content/dante-via-v1321-windows

Then there seems to be an older FocusRite driver installation been left.

Does Asio4all play a roll? There is v2.15 finally supporting Win 11

Then just to be sure I'd use Windows DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to check for any component errors:

before I strat working with the command lines you suggested, I'd like to answer to your legitimate questions:

- A-VIRUSES:Not any 3rd parties a-virus/FW/Internet security
- Hash Sign: Yes I tried also another project without the "#", since I published it yesterday, but I still have the issue
- DVR? It is disabled since I have not any game and I don't use any game. To record ScreenCasts i use OBS, not even the GameBar ...
- DANTE VIA: I don't know why it pop-up that version but I have the last version. I checked to be sure but I really have the last one. 1.3.2.1. BTW it works fantastically with DRS 17 and 18 (I used few times with)
- Focusrite: yes it's a IF that I installed months ago to make some test with multiple IFs and recently under DANTE VIA to test this feature (that works greatly) but I don't ue it on stable way. It's not even connected to the Machine. On top of this: with DRS 17: not any issue
- ASIO4ALL is not used: nor by DRS 18 nor by any other elements. I installed it on tutorial purposes only.

Now I try the command lines you posted and I will be back
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:And another idea: try to re-install your new AMD driver but let it do a reset to factory defaults.

This I did it. I always reset to default factory, since do not do it created me some issue in the far past.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:19 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:

Start a command line with admin rights.

Insert
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

when that is finished insert
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

if that finds repairable errors, insert
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

when that's finished, let Windows scan for system file errors. Insert
sfc /scannow

tested.

After the first:
No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

After the second:
No component store corruption detected.
The operation completed successfully.

So the third is not required.

After the fourth:
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

Apart the repairing, but I never got the with DRS17. I'm wondering what's going on with the 18.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:35 pm

With "DVR" I meant DaVinci Resolve ;-)

But man, this is really a though problem. ATM I am out of ideas.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:With "DVR" I meant DaVinci Resolve ;-)

But man, this is really a though problem. ATM I am out of ideas.

Ok I assigned to DaVinci High Performance in the DVR. System > Display > Graphics.
It was "Let Windows decide"

the alternatives are "Power saving", "High performance"

I will report here what's occurring with.

P.S I'm also frustrated by this issue. Although I find all what you suggested, helped to exclude other common causes.
To me, it still some conflict between DRS 18 and something into the AMD, that simply goes to trigger the "shut off". Just speculation, but to me it's not even a protection entering in action. It's just something that commands this switch, for some reason.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 2:27 pm

Bad news ... it did it again right now.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:00 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:.

Hello Dwaine, in private I sent to you the file you asked for.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:30 pm

As acknowledged further up in this thread. I played the project for 9 hours yesterday with no issues.

You say you never work on the Color page. OK.

You say it crashes randomly on renders. I've just rendered all the timelines 10 times. No crashes.

Doesn't seem to be any inherent issue with your project or media with Resolve 18.0.1 on Windows 10 or the AMD 22.5.1 driver on an RX580 GPU. Granted the RX590 is a bit different. One would hope a bit better. Possibly something Windows 11 related, but seems unlikely. My system is not Windows 11 capable, or I'd test that.

Seems to be something specific to your system. But you've been pretty thorough with testing all the usual suspects, and I don't have any other ideas as to what's causing the issue at this point.
Dwaine Maggart

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:As acknowledged further up in this thread. I played the project for 9 hours yesterday with no issues.

You say you never work on the Color page. OK.

You say it crashes randomly on renders. I've just rendered all the timelines 10 times. No crashes.

Doesn't seem to be any inherent issue with your project or media with Resolve 18.0.1 on Windows 10 or the AMD 22.5.1 driver on an RX580 GPU. Granted the RX590 is a bit different. One would hope a bit better. Possibly something Windows 11 related, but seems unlikely. My system is not Windows 11 capable, or I'd test that.

Seems to be something specific to your system. But you've been pretty thorough with testing all the usual suspects, and I don't have any other ideas as to what's causing the issue at this point.

Hello Dwaine, thank you for the reply and for the time you employed to test the situation.

I'm afraid it's like the situation I had in the past with the same HW and DRS 17 (in the beginning) I had severe issues with the 3D Dolby Atmos Panner. Then BMD solved it on one release of DRS 17 but it was damn difficult to find where the issue came from.

I think I will write also to AMD to their support linking them this topic, sothey can also investigate from their side.
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

BartReynaard

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:As acknowledged further up in this thread. I played the project for 9 hours yesterday with no issues.

Hello Dwaine please here a screenshot of the opened processes.
is it normal that DRS 18 when just in play (on a project like mine) is damn asking so much power?

Because THIS can explain the behavior. the PS is constantly under stress then goes in protection.
So it's not Windows, nor the Drivers it seems ...

The strange thing is that the GPU is not under stress nor the CPU. But this is what's asking for

Screenshot 2022-08-16 225447.png
Screenshot 2022-08-16 225447.png (47.62 KiB) Viewed 4029 times
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:05 pm

I'd say that's normal. That's pretty much what I see on my system playing your project. That "Very High" is relative to other tasks in the system.

Again, my system played your project for 9 hours yesterday like this.
Dwaine Maggart

Stephen Buckley

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:40 am

BartReynaard wrote:THIS can explain the behavior. the PS is constantly under stress then goes in protection.

Hey Bart, I had many complete system crashes when using certain DR features, like Magic Mask or Generating Depth Maps. Even though my system, GPU, and power supply were up to spec. These crashes are now a thing of the past.

Checkout the 2nd step in the last post I made here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125561&p=850259

Basically, it is installing and properly configuring the free MSI Afterburner to 'undervolt' your system so it doesn't spike the power so hard and enables a more gradual addition of voltage as needed. At least that is how I've understood it. I don't even own an MSI card, and it still works. I do believe this is only for Nvidia cards. There may be other software for the AMD GPUs.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Robert Niessner

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 6:26 am

Bart, I had some time to think about your problem.
Maybe we should consider your 64 Gb memory for inspection.
After some research it seems that either faulty memory modules or unstable memory settings can lead to the same symptoms as a power supply problem, like random shutdowns.

During normal operations you wouldn’t experience any problems, but under heavy load and memory usage it could crash.

There are several things you could test:

Check your memory timings, maybe lower the clockrate or set a more conservative timing

run memtest (this can take many hours) for diagnosing if you got a faulty module
https://www.memtest86.com/
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

BartReynaard

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 3:21 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Bart, I had some time to think about your problem.
Maybe we should consider your 64 Gb memory for inspection.
After some research it seems that either faulty memory modules or unstable memory settings can lead to the same symptoms as a power supply problem, like random shutdowns.

During normal operations you wouldn’t experience any problems, but under heavy load and memory usage it could crash.

There are several things you could test:

Check your memory timings, maybe lower the clockrate or set a more conservative timing

run memtest (this can take many hours) for diagnosing if you got a faulty module
https://www.memtest86.com/

Hi Robert, the memtest is running since 6:34 hours. Almost done the second pass on 4. At the moment: no errors detected.

EDIT: second pass done without errors. Now it's starting the third pass
Bart
________

Blackmagic Speed Editor

Robert Niessner

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 5:41 pm

I found another interesting thing: you are using bios F37c and there are reports of crashes with that version:
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming ... e_screens/

One user in particular wrote:

No bios above F32 is stable with this board. Tried them all and flashed every which way possible to make sure, and cleared, etc. None above F32 are stable. Problem lies in the RAM Profiles XMP. If you enable XMP in any bios above F32, the voltage doesn't increase and that results in crashes, lockups, freezes on startup, no reboot, etc. F32 bios and less, XMP when enabled adjusts the voltages properly based on XMP values.

So while you obviously can boot and work elsewhere without crashes, there might be a problem with the XMP profiles like he wrote.

I saw that there is a newer BIOS F37d from 2022.07.27
I do not think it would be a good idea to go back to BIOS F32, because with F35 they fixed major vulnerabilities. But you could try to revert back to BIOS F37a, too.

BTW, do you have the Re-size bar option for AMD Smart Access Memory enabled? If yes it might be worth to try disabling it. Also read that this could result in instabilities and isn't relevant for anything other than games.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve