Project crashing...need help

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gramsay

Project crashing...need help

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 4:19 pm

Have a pretty involved project using 17.4.6 build 4 that won't open.

Finished generating optimized media and now *boom* .Well it gets to 93%, I get a pop up window telling me that a "stills update location" is required, and then resolve quits/crashes. Other projects in the database will open. And im learning the hard way about that project backups was apparently turned off. Kinda thought that sort of thing would be automatic.... :oops:

Using Apple MacBook Pro 2021 M1 with 16 GB RAM

Ive attached logs
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220816-115150.tgz
(417.82 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

Project file on my iCloud Drive

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0d3I ... ts_Tribute

Could really use some help on this one, TIA

gramsay

Re: Project crashing...need help

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:01 pm

Found some help on the internet. Found this tutorial and got my project to launch but the timeline I need still causes resolve to crash.

Obviously the timeline is corrupt. Most likely from generating optimized media. Oh and this is an 11 track multi cam all synced to a music track so id hate to have to rebuild this. Even if I right click on the time line to get the contextual menu it crashes.....

hmmm......

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:16 pm

I can't tell from the logs why it's crashing. But importing your project drp to my M1 Pro MBP and loading it is not crashing.

If you haven't already, try importing the drp you've exported, and see if that will load. If you had any stills, those will be gone, but perhaps those are causing the issue.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:23 pm

So that's an interesting video. Obviously use with caution. I'd also advise anyone following that video to make a backup copy of the .db file before messing with it in SQLLite.

But the fact is, loading your drp, I'm able to open all the timelines, so I don't think any of them are corrupt. Mucking the the db file may have made one corrupt.

What timeline do you think has the issue?
Dwaine Maggart

gramsay

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:47 pm

and just so others who might have the same problem....

tried deleting render cache but timeline still crashed project. Since this all started after generating optimized media I turned that off under playback>use optimized media, and viola. the timeline will now load and play.

So now I need to figure out where optimized media is stored on my drive, manually throw it into the trash and try again.

Steve Alexander

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 5:55 pm

I recall having the same thing happen at some point. Unfortunately I don’t recall the details.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:03 pm

Assuming this is your cache path for this project:

/Users/geordieramsay/Production/Resolve

It will be here:

/Users/geordieramsay/Production/Resolve/CacheClip/OptimizedMedia
Dwaine Maggart

gramsay

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 pm

interesting.....and now id really like to see some input from the mods.

Deleted all media from optimized media folder, regenerated optimized media from my raw clips. Opened up timeline and when selecting use optimized media if available, the timeline will crash.

Fortunately I was smart enough to save right before making that selection so I can re-open up the project...

Of note I had generated optimized media from this project previously on a 2017 iMac, with no issues.

However this batch is being generated on the M1 MacBook.....

optimized media format is prores 422 LT

Steve Alexander

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:43 pm

If you can’t load the project in the future, now you know how to delete the optimized media. Then it should load.

Try repeating this test using DNxHR or some other format for optimized media just to see if it makes a difference.
Last edited by Steve Alexander on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 8:28 pm

Hmm, what mods are you referring to?

I'll ask again: which timeline?
Dwaine Maggart

Steve Alexander

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:20 pm

I was wondering the same thing Dwaine - maybe there is a phantom moderator we haven't noticed before?

Lol
Time Traveller

gramsay

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:50 pm

Sorry Dwaine for the slow response, your posts weren't showing up while i was trying to troubleshoot. Appreciate your insight

So the timeline that is problematic is "its all over now." Either the multicam build or the single timeline ( hope that makes sense)

Once i turned off "Play optimized media" the time line loads fine, but when it's on it crashes. so its the optimized media thats causing the issue.

Like i indicated i deleted all the optimized media, and then generated it again from the raw clips, and had the same thing happen. maybe one of the raw files is glitchy?

I was thinking the same thing that steve mentioned, changing the media format or trying to generate optimized media one file at a time and see if I can isolate a single clip as being the problem.

thanks again guys for jumping in.....

gramsay

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 4:56 pm

So I'm pretty sure the issue was the Pro res 422 LT format for optimizing media. I re optimized all my raw clips to DNxHR LB and haven't had any issues. Something there isn't playing nice with Resolve 17, the M1 MacBook pros and that format.

I'm looking to upgrade to resolve 18 once this project is finalized. maybe it was a bug that got fixed in the new version?

And yes that was a interesting video, but it did work and allowed me to get back into the project and start troubleshooting. But absolutely copy that .db file and back it up before playing around at that level.

thanks again to steve and Dwaine for being GREAT MODS!!!! :D :P

Return to DaVinci Resolve