Sync Bin With Audio not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dwmann7

Sync Bin With Audio not working

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 9:56 pm

An interview was shot on 2 cameras. However, the TC of each camera is all over the place but no fear I thought we can sort this using the Sync Bin and aligning the clips of the 2 cameras with Audio.

Unfortunately, Sync Bin on the Cut Page just won't work.

I even asked it to sync just 2 clips that I knew were the same take but it wouldn't do that. It said it failed, listing the 2 clips' names that failed. When you click OK to close the dialogue box the 2 clips are placed on top of each other in the syn bin window, aligned by the first frame of each clip at the beginning. The funny thing is these 2 clips are almost visually identical in length and I can even see the waveform underneath each clip looking similar but Sync Bin can not align the 2 camera angles. Highly frustrating. Has anyone had this issue and found a solution?

bryantocara

Re: Sync Bin With Audio not working

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 12:38 pm

The solution is to edit "camera" metadata into the clips using the file tab of the inspector or the media page. The Sync Bin in the Cut Page ONLY works if camera angles are labeled to be different inside the actual metadata, i.e. "A", "B", "1", "2"

If I am right, the reason why Sync Bin isn't working is that Resolve isn't even trying to sync the two clips because it thinks (from the default metadata, or lack thereof completely) that it is from the same camera.

Shift-select all the cameras from one angle, and change the metadata at once; do it again for all the cameras of another angle and change that metadata to a different letter or number.

After that, the Sync Bin should work flawlessly

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

dwmann7

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 10:24 pm

Thanks for your reply

The steps you outline, including adding the camera metadata, have been done. But it still does not work correctly. If you are ok with it I have grabbed some screen grabs and uploaded them here so you can see what was done
Attachments
Step3.jpg
Step3.jpg (554.67 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
Step2.jpg
Step2.jpg (279.37 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
Step1.jpg
Step1.jpg (245.41 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

dwmann7

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 1:18 pm

here are a couple of additional images I couldn't add in the last message
Attachments
Step5.jpg
Step5.jpg (655.94 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Step4.jpg
Step4.jpg (545.54 KiB) Viewed 1043 times

dwmann7

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 6:21 pm

So I think we have worked this out
Create one long wav file from the camera with the longest duration (when all the clips are lined up on the timeline). Then use that in your bin with all the clips that require syncing and that should do it.
Resolve does not like trying to sync clips that are 1 long clip from Cam A and 3 shorter clips from Cam B.
Also we don't think it will sync clips that are proxies - it will only work with original media

2 things that Resolve could help with in a future release particularly with the proxy issue as we are all working more and more remotely and it may not be the person with the original files who will be syncing all the files up.

Return to DaVinci Resolve