Resolve 18 keeps crashing on export rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

molenmer

Resolve 18 keeps crashing on export rendering

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 1:51 pm

Hi all,

I recently updated to Resolve 18 and have been doing well so far. I even completed two new projects with it.

However, one of my projects seems to be having some problems right now. It's pretty much one huge project that I use for a client that I shoot content for once a week for the last two years. I figured that I wouldn't have to create new projects every now and then because I never had issues thus far...

But after the update to 18 Resolve crashes a lot while just working in between different timelines in the edit page. After quite a lot of frustrating restarts I finally finish a batch of audio timelines I want to export. So, I put them on the export queue and select render all on 5 different timelines (mp3 files, very happy they finally added this btw! :D )

Here are the crash logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JAVKIi ... sp=sharing

If anyone can help me to figure out the problem it would be greatly appreciated! Maybe it'd make sense to just start a new project but the recreation of all the folders would be a great pain in the ....

Thanks in advance!
DR Studio 18.6.6 Build 7 macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
Apple M1 Pro 16" (2021) 16GB RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 18 keeps crashing on export rendering

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 6:22 pm

Appears to be with this project yes?

H2T IGTV + App Content

If so, send us a Project Export .drp.

If you want to keep it private, PM it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

molenmer

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 7:06 pm

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 8:50 pm

Hmm, when I imported the project, it showed it only had 2 timelines. How refreshing, I thought. Only 2 timelines to look through, instead of the normal dozens. But when I opened the project, there were lots of timelines. Restarted Resolve, and now it shows the project has 397 timelines. :( Sad face...

So tell me a good timeline to look at, out of the 397, that crashes when you try to render it.
Dwaine Maggart

molenmer

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 am

Hi yeah that's correct haha :D

Currently I'm working on the timelines found in the following structure of folders: Timelines>App Filmpjes>Audio>ENG>BB2 until BB5.

There's also been a change lately. It doesn't crash while working in the timeline anymore, I deleted the cache so maybe that solved the problem. I still have CTD's after pressing render all in the export window though, I export using the mp3 format and codec.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm

Those are audio only timelines.

I added the 10 timelines from BB2 and BB3 to the render queue and rendered them all on an M1 Pro MBP with macOS 12.5.1 and Resolve Studio 18.0.1 with no crashing. Of course, I don't have the source media, which could make a difference.

Restart Resolve and load the project and add the 10 timelines from BB2 and BB3 to the render queue and render them. Does it crash? If so, when? On the first timeline, or does it get through some of them before it crashes? Does it crash to the desktop, or hang?

Assuming it crashes when doing the above, immediately after restarting Resolve, load the project, then select the Help menu and generate a diagnostics log and send it.

If it doesn't crash doing the above, give me a repro scenario that I can test that generates a crash for you, and send a log for that crash.
Dwaine Maggart

molenmer

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 1:34 pm

I tried it again and this time everything went smoothly. Strange...
I will report back if I run into problems again...

molenmer

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 11:30 am

Yes it happened again. This time with 3 audio timelines from BB6 (new files from my client).
I put the three of them in the queue and it crashed on the first timeline immediately to the desktop.

New project file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Q_BWI ... sp=sharing
New crash log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AUwOZV ... sp=sharing

Kiltrash

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 9:48 pm

Had a similar issue trying to export a simple slide show with 1 audio track. It crashed consistently 28% of the way through, ie when processing a particular slide. Also found it crashed in the Edit page when cross-fading to a particular slide on the timeline. Each slide had different colour correction applied and I was able to work around the problem by grabbing each still with the colour correction applied, saving them as PNG files, then rebuilding the timeline with pre-corrected stills. This played back fine and also exported successfully. Resolve seemed to crash when cross-fading between clips with different colour correction applied.

Just my 2 pence...

Return to DaVinci Resolve