BR 18.0.3 Can't move past X -31040

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

steve oakley

BR 18.0.3 Can't move past X -31040

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 11:50 pm

TL is 7760 X 1080 24.0 FPS
Mac Studio ultra

I have jpg (2298X3340) I'm postioning in the TL. I'm looking to put it at the very left most edge and can't move past POS X -31040.00. not with onscreen controls nor with panel X control. thats it.

Is this a signed integer limitation bug ? in theory the largest 16bit signed int/float is -32,768 so I should be able to get there from here. except there is a decimal..

ya I get it, fixing the problem is a really big one to fix but since we live in the age of high res 8K+ I hope its on the radar.

I'll try pre comping in a TL or tripping it over to fusion :/ but this will be painful for a few dozen images.

UPDATE : found another post about this and suggested workaround was the Transform FX. it works, but its clunky when you need to move a bunch of things around on the screen.
S
S
mac Studio Ultra 128gb OS 13.5+
TB3 ext 1TB SSD Cache, 1TB SSD Sys
4K 27Dell
Presonus Quantum 2626 TB3 Word clocked 96K
MiniPanel via enet
Behinger Xtouch USB via USB3 Hub->PCIe USB3X4 card
Wacom XL Pro

Andy Mees

Re: BR 18.0.3 Can't move past X -31040

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:08 am

Steve, you've hit Resolve's weird Edit Page X,Y position limit of 4x the corresponding canvas dimension.

On the face of it, 4x the canvas width seems like it should more than enough to move any element anywhere in the canvas... but the genius behind Resolves Edit Page / Edit Sizing co-ordinate system, as currently presented to the user, is that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in a modern image manipulation context and therefore must be VeryClever™... erm, or something, mumble mumble. Actually, whatever prompted the design probably/possibly made much more sense back in the day when Resolve's toolset was just MEDIA | CONFORM | COLOR and DELIVER. It's been a fully fledged NLE for quite a while now though, so let's hope a less limited (and hopefully less opaque) implementation is on BMD's list of things to do.

Anyway, fwiw, per the present system... due to your canvas dimensions (7760x1080) and your source clip dimensions (2298x3340) and assuming you are scaling to fit (canvas height), your maximum X value of +/-31040 equates to being able to move your source horizontally (in the canvas) no more than 2972px (ish) from its centre position... but as there's 3880px between your canvas centre and its left/right edge, its not enough, hence needing to use a Transform OFX workaround (or the Fusion Page).

steve oakley

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 2:07 pm

Hi Andy

thanks for the indepth explanation. I was more or less figuring it was related to a world where 2K was a big frame size and SD was day to day.

I think the reason it isn't fixed is along the lines of what do you do with legacy projects to keep them looking the same ? you'd need to have a bit of code to handle converting old co-ordinate system to some newer one which could be a real field of landmines to find and fix.

At least using transform gives you motion blur when moving an image around. I thought for 2 secs about fusion but for what I need to do it gets way too complicated for all the images that may be involved. Precomping to another TL also works, but then I stumbled onto another fun bug : if you dissolve between 2 images that aren't full screen, the empty areas go black during the transition. :? :? :cry: :cry:

The only way bugs or less than ideal designs get fixed is for users to keep expressing their problems in finding them and reporting them. squeeky hinge theory.

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

steve oakley

PostSun Nov 12, 2023 11:15 pm

This may of been fixed in 18.6

my 8K project I found I was able to remove the transform OFX and then directly position clips across the 8K canvas w/o a problem. certainly made life a lot better. some one needs to hear THANK YOU ! for fixing this, long term I hope. I don't expect 12K or 16K to be on my plate anytime soon, but then again I never expected 8K and that I'd have hardware that would easily handle it :)

S
S
4K 27Dell
MiniPanel via enet
Wacom XL Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve