Color Management in Fusion?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

George Deierling

Color Management in Fusion?

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 4:09 am

There is an issue using Fusion when Color Management is turned on, be it automatic or manual:

Here is what is not working for me and can't figure out:
Make Fusion clip on the timeline, go into Fusion and do something like crop, that doesn't change the colors. Then attach a Saver and export an EXR sequence so it can processed externally and then brought back in.
When I bring back the same EXR sequence that I just saved, into Fusion, the colors don't match. I tried different color space conversions, etc, but none of them produce a color match with the original.

When Color management is turned off, this works as expected and the exported EXRs match perfectly.

-----------------
PS. figured it out - when I use a Loader node to bring in the EXRs all is good. What doesn't work is dragging the exrs into the flow, that produces a MediaIn node which shows the wrong colors.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Color Management in Fusion?

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 6:57 am

Mediains are color managed, so it elegantly manages it wrong. Color management in Fusion page is broken in many ways and has been since beginning.
I do stuff.

shebbe

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 9:04 am

In Color Managed mode, Fusion operates in the linear variant of your project timeline color space if I'm not mistaken. This somewhat makes sense for a closed VFX roundtrip inside Resolve but breaks for any other kind off application or workflow and you don't have any control over this.

People keep asking BMD to address this and proposed various solutions, but I don't think they have any clue how, or care enough. It's been like this from the moment it became part of Resolve and no progression since.

If the workflow suits your project you may want to consider using Fusion Standalone, or don't use project wide color management so you don't have to deal with this mess.

George Deierling wrote:PS. figured it out - when I use a Loader node to bring in the EXRs all is good. What doesn't work is dragging the exrs into the flow, that produces a MediaIn node which shows the wrong colors.
The difference between a Loader and MediaIn is that the loader will load the EXR as 'raw data' and the MediaIn in Color Managed mode will take the Input Color Space Transform that is set on the file in the Media Pool and convert it to the linear version of the project timeline color space. In your case it's likely that the EXR you created was in your linear timeline space resulting in the same image when loaded on a LD node because it's read as is. The MediaIn however is either tagged as Use Project which means the nonlinear space (DWG/Intermediate perhaps?) or something else and thus gets another conversion when placed inside ReFusion.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

ZRGARDNE

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 4:09 am

My understanding is if you want to use the automatic color management system added in V17, Linear is the only working color space that works. The default DWG is incompatible.

More discussion here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=137485&p=745551&hilit=wide+Gamut#p745551

and here

Hendrik Proosa

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 8:15 am

Can we get over the ”linear is a colorspace”? It isn’t and will not be because linear is not gamut, does not define gamut and will not do it in the future. Colorspace consists of both gamut and transfer function, if one is missing it isn’t colorspace.
I do stuff.

Return to DaVinci Resolve