Vertical scratch repair in opening titles

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yairisan

Vertical scratch repair in opening titles

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 1:16 am

Can anyone give me some pointers as to how to go about removing the vertical scratch(es) from the footage in the following link?

Automatic dirt removal won't touch it, so I'm wondering how else this could be done. I'm using Davinci 18 with RTX 2060 Super GPU - reasonable setup, though nothing stellar.

Thanks for any help!

Dermot Shane

Re: Vertical scratch repair in opening titles

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 3:32 am

i have a couple of scratch repair OFX that i sometimes use, but they dont work all that well
i'd probbaly send that off to a restoration firm

robert Hart

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 3:52 am

With motion in the image under the title, there may be not much can be done short of manually redrawing the image frame by frame in photoshop or similar. As a quick bandaid, you could try stacking two layers of partial transparency over a solid layer, one layer's image moved towards left and the other towards right to reduce the intensity of the scratch. The collateral damage will be to broaden the scratch, smear the background image horizontally and introduce side edge borders which will require you to slightly enlarge the image to conceal the borders.

yairisan

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 am

robert Hart wrote:With motion in the image under the title, there may be not much can be done short of manually redrawing the image frame by frame in photoshop or similar. As a quick bandaid, you could try stacking two layers of partial transparency over a solid layer, one layer's image moved towards left and the other towards right to reduce the intensity of the scratch. The collateral damage will be to broaden the scratch, smear the background image horizontally and introduce side edge borders which will require you to slightly enlarge the image to conceal the borders.

That's an interesting approach. I'll give this a try.

Thanks so much.

yairisan

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 am

Dermot Shane wrote:i have a couple of scratch repair OFX that i sometimes use, but they dont work all that well
i'd probbaly send that off to a restoration firm

OK, thanks for the input!

Return to DaVinci Resolve