Losing Stabilization

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

DemonsGirl

Losing Stabilization

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 1:06 am

I'm borrowing a friends computer with Resolve 16. I'm working on some recently scanned 8mm films. The capture was in DPX. I am having trouble with the stabilization. I have stabilized approximately 1500 feet of film which is half of my total. I have done this in multiple sessions saving each time.

I am now going back and doing color correction but have found the clips are no longer stabilized. I first noticed on a clip of a sign which was perfectly still in the frame with camera lock when I first stabilized.

Its Now jumping around again,but if I stabilize again its fine until I save and reopen resolve the next time. Why would Resolve not save the stabilization? Am I completely doing something wrong? Help I don't want to stabilize every frame before my render. Thank you for any help.

Mary

DemonsGirl

Re: Losing Stabilization

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:52 pm

Nobody knows the answer for this? Maybe I'm asking in the wrong place? If I'm doing something wrong here please let me know. Thanks.

Mary

Jim Simon

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 5:31 pm

In the Keyframes panel on the Color page, make sure it's set to Color, not All or Sizing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 12:45 am

DemonsGirl wrote:I'm borrowing a friends computer with Resolve 16. I'm working on some recently scanned 8mm films. The capture was in DPX. I am having trouble with the stabilization. I have stabilized approximately 1500 feet of film which is half of my total. I have done this in multiple sessions saving each time.

I do a great deal of film restoration work at my regular job (working on a 2002 crime movie right at this moment). We opted for 2K ProRes 444XQ as an archival format, on the theory that DPX or EXR was way overkill. I think for 8mm, even that's overkill, but you can do what you think is right. In some cases, we go back to the original 4K scans and do a second pass for 4K HDR, but it's on an "it depends" basis. I honestly don't think there's even 4K of resolution in 16mm, and I don't think you need uncompressed DPX for a format like this.

If it were me, I'd take all the 8mm DPX material and export it to 2048x1556 ProRes 422HQ, maybe reel-by-reel, and live with that. Split the clips on roll changes or shot changes. I would not try to stabilize DPX sequences, though it can be done... but there are potential risks if things go south.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hendrik Proosa

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 7:09 am

Marc, are you actually even reading what the questions are or just put your prerecorded answer on based on some keywords? None of what you write is connected to the question, much less answers it.
I do stuff

Sam Steti

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:24 am

Marc Wielage wrote:I do a great deal of film restoration work at my regular job ...............

Yes, ok, but this was what you were happy to write about, however off-topic in terms of the OP issue :)

DemonsGirl, I never experienced that but it would surely be a greaaaaat pain, I can understand you... Is it possible you've changed files from proxies to masters or vice versa, so that you see the same pics but based on other files on your HD ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

WildlifeVideo

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 2:00 pm

I would do stabilization as the final change to a file, just my workflow. That being said if I had that much footage to stabilize, I'd use Mercalli PROdad v6. By far the best stabilization on the planet IMHO plus when done you can render into ProRes and your computer will love you for that. You can automate both the stabilization and export so you can just let it run over night. I've only just changed (6 months) from Vegas to Resolve Studio and I find that Studio's stabilization is very good so single instances but for bulk stabilizations PROdad is the tool.
Ryzen 9 5900x and a RX 6700XT 12 GB GPU with 64 gigs of 3600 ram, two 1 gig SSD, 6 TB internal, 15 gig external 7200 spinners.
Resolve Studio, Creative Cloud (PS/LR), Studio One v6, Mercalli SA v6 AI

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 2:14 pm

You can choose to do the stabilization in the edit page or in the color page, in the edit page you have less chances to lose it in color.

Usually you lose the stabilization in color due to copy memories from other shots and don't realize that [sizing] is also copied, therefore butchering the stab.

1) be sure that only color is selected in the keyframe
2) in the gallery right click on black space and copy setting, protect input sizing
3) be aware that if you reset a shot you might blow the stab away
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve