Slow playback/choppy audio in Fairlight page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

trv01624

Slow playback in Fairlight page

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 pm

I am having a lot of trouble editing my audio in the fairlight page. The playback is either slow, choppy, or sometimes the audio doesn't play at all despite seeing my audio levels moving.

I have no idea how to fix this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening to me?

Charles Bennett

Re: Slow playback in Fairlight page

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 6:23 pm

None, unless you give us details of your system such as version of Resolve, OS, GPU and it's driver, source and codec of the video you are working with, etc.
Sorry to be direct, but there are too many posts on the forum where we are expected to guess these things and come up with an answer.
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

trv01624

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 9:44 pm

I am working on an iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021) 16GB memory using Davinci Resolve 18.0.3.

Apple M1 GPU 8 core.

Audio codec: Linear PCM

trv01624

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 11:18 pm

I really need help if anyone can take some time to help me figure this out. The audio continues to be unreliable. I can hear the audio okay for a few minutes and then it starts to lag and completely drop.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 2:55 am

on the color page, what is the playback frame rate?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

trv01624

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 6:05 pm

The timeline frame rate is 23.976

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 9:50 pm

But is the footage playing back at that rate on the Color page?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

trv01624

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 10:01 pm

So I am not having any trouble with any other parts of the software. There is no lagging in the edit page or color page.

The only page I am having problems with is the fairlight page.

Also I am not familiar with how to check the frame rate in the color page.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, doing the best I can when asked about technical questions.

trv01624

Slow playback/choppy audio in Fairlight page

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:45 pm

Hello,

Once again I will try to attempt to ask for help. Please keep in mind I am a novice user so if you need more information please point me in the right direction so I can help you help me.

The issue I am having is in Fairlight only, I can playback my audio fine in the edit and color page. In fairlight the audio is choppy, lagging, or simply doesn't play.

I am using an iMac version 12.6
Apple M1 8 core GPU
16GB Memory

My video codec is XAVC intra 4:2:2 L5.1
Frame rate: 23.976
Sample rate: 48000
Audio codec: Linear PCM
Sample rate for audio: 96000

I am editing my web series myself and have had no issues with the audio up until September. I don't have a lot of money to hire an editor myself so I would love to try to resolve this issue.

Thank you everyone

Reynaud Venter

Re: Slow playback/choppy audio in Fairlight page

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:24 pm

Resolve Standard (free) or Studio 18.0.4?

Is this behaviour isolated to playback frame rates of 23.976?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

trv01624

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:17 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Resolve Standard (free) or Studio 18.0.4?

Is this behaviour isolated to playback frame rates of 23.976?

I have the studio version. I have not used a different playback frame rate. What playback frame rate would you suggest I try?

swordinhand

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 4:28 am

Had a similar problem. The thing that was messing mine up was Preferences > User > UI Settings > "Delay Viewer Display by" option. I had it set to 2 frames. Once I turned that off (Unchecked and 0 Frame Offset) the problem went away.

Fairlight seems to have a different interaction with the audio hardware attached to the computer. In my case I'm running an UltraStudio 4k Mini and an RME Fireface 800. Depending on what setting you have under Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O > Audio I/O > I/O Engine, will determine how the audio hardware will interact with Fairlight. It also seemed to be mitigated if I ran with System Audio, but then the sync is off. So you might experiment with System Audio / Desktop Video as your I/O Engine. But if you're not running an UltraStudio, I don't think you will have this option.

I also highly recommend, if you use an external monitor, to use CatchinSync: https://quietart.co.nz/catchinsync/
This will allow you to see if your video and audio are synced up. Mine were off at least a frame or 2. But the problem with Resolve is that it has a bunch of different delays you can employ and they all affect different pages and parts of the app. So it will be in sync on the Edit page, but out on Fairlight. Super annoying stuff. BMD really needs to rewrite the underlying code, so that all the pages work with the same audio settings.

What BMD do is buyout different software from different vendors and then Frankenstein all of these systems together. When it works it's downright astounding, but at times it's buggy and needs a real architectural underpinning, so that it works more smoothly. But I can't complain too much, Resolve is doing a lot of things right.

swordinhand

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 4:29 am

Had a similar problem. The thing that was messing mine up was Preferences > User > UI Settings > "Delay Viewer Display by" option. I had it set to 2 frames. Once I turned that off (Unchecked and 0 Frame Offset) the problem went away.

Fairlight seems to have a different interaction with the audio hardware attached to the computer. In my case I'm running an UltraStudio 4k Mini and an RME Fireface 800. Depending on what setting you have under Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O > Audio I/O > I/O Engine, will determine how the audio hardware will interact with Fairlight. It also seemed to be mitigated if I ran with System Audio, but then the sync is off. So you might experiment with System Audio / Desktop Video as your I/O Engine. But if you're not running an UltraStudio, I don't think you will have this option.

I also highly recommend, if you use an external monitor, to use CatchinSync: https://quietart.co.nz/catchinsync/
This will allow you to see if your video and audio are synced up. Mine were off at least a frame or 2. But the problem with Resolve is that it has a bunch of different delays you can employ and they all affect different pages and parts of the app. So it will be in sync on the Edit page, but out on Fairlight. Super annoying stuff. BMD really needs to rewrite the underlying code, so that all the pages work with the same audio settings.

What BMD do is buyout different software from different vendors and then Frankenstein all of these systems together. When it works it's downright astounding, but at times it's buggy and needs a real architectural underpinning, so that it works more smoothly. But I can't complain too much, Resolve is doing a lot of things right.

Hopefully some of this will help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve