DaVinci Resolve won't open projects anymore

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Satchellfise

DaVinci Resolve won't open projects anymore

PostSat Sep 10, 2022 9:55 pm

Hello, I got a new computer recently and while I had gotten Resolve to run prior, it seems to have stopped working recently. First it wouldn't boot up, crashing on the loading screen but I've managed to get it to go into the project manager window where it isn't able to actually open any projects (new projects crash on a gray, blank project page no UI elements or anything.

Old projects never load and no window is created though there is a background process created for resolve) I've had some issues with the graphics card. I have a feeling that's the issue here but I've tried everything on several websites and still nothing. I have an ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D for a discreet GPU that the service should run on. I should note that for a bit, the graphics card was malfunctioning and while it was, Resolve actually worked.

Not sure where to go from here, I have the logs zipped and the system info download it and can give it to staff if they're willing to help. Thanks,

Satchel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve won't open projects anymore

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 5:02 am

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

vtcats

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 9:53 am

I have the same issue with projects not loading anymore. Different situation in that I’m running an M1 Max Mac and can load the project manager, but it just hangs when trying to load any project.
Running latest of everything and have been all along. I have uploaded to customer support and am waiting for their analysis and suggestions. I’m only posting here in case others have similar issues and either chime in and/or I will post what the solution was (hopefully).
Frustrating as I’m using this for a work project and moved to Danvinci this year. Hopefully I didn’t make a mistake as I was considering this and Final Cut and went with Dancinci.
Resolve 18.0.4
MacOS 13.2.1
MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max 64GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 am

Mike, see the post above
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

vtcats

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 10:13 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Mike, see the post above

I emailed them to customer support last night. Did you want me to upload them here as well?

Side note, ironically seeing seeing you respond to people on a forum was part of the reason I choose Davinci. Not that you can answer everyone, but it does show/seem like you care quite a bit, which stands out. I definitely don’t see that too often
Hopefully I can get this fixed soon.
Resolve 18.0.4
MacOS 13.2.1

vtcats

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 12:06 pm

I solved the issue and wanted to post for anyone in the future with the same issue (although not sure if this relates to the original poster and I'm sorry if this hijacks this thread).
The program originally hung (and had to force quit) while I was working in a compound clip in Fusion. I was working on a write one effect for text.
The solution was the create a new project. Once I did, I exported the project I was working on, then imported into the new project I just created. Which it did successfully. Somehow this fixed fusion which was keeping all my projects from opening. Now I can open any/all of them. Hopefully this might work for the OP.
Although I'm still interested in hearing from customer support to see if they see anything new/different as to what caused this to begin with... Because now I'm going back into that project to hopefully complete the text write on.....
Resolve 18.0.4
MacOS 13.2.1

vtcats

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 12:50 pm

Sorry, premature. I can open things and edit, etc as described, but cannot take any clip from any project and open it in fusion. That seems to have been corrupted. I guess I’ll wait till support gets back to me….ugghhh.
Resolve 18.0.4
MacOS 13.2.1

Singularity

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 1:13 pm

I recently had a sort of similar issue, and finally solved it when I realized the disk where my cacheClip folder was located was completely full. It was stopping me opening projects or do anything really.

It sounds like you may have a different issue, but its worth checking that your disks are not full, and also check that your cache folders in resolve are all setup correctly.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

vtcats

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 1:22 pm

Singularity wrote:I recently had a sort of similar issue, and finally solved it when I realized the disk where my cacheClip folder was located was completely full. It was stopping me opening projects or do anything really.

It sounds like you may have a different issue, but its worth checking that your disks are not full, and also check that your cache folders in resolve are all setup correctly.

yeah, I saw that from people as well and checked it and have plenty of space. I was able to follow advice from another user that said to "reset UI layout" under workspace. That seemed to have worked so far as I now can open anything in fusion. But I'm now gun-shy of doing much in there given this issue. I guess the question will be at what point will customer support get back to me to hopefully explain or confirm the issue (today, next week, etc). I have no previous experience with their support team.
Resolve 18.0.4
MacOS 13.2.1

Satchellfise

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 6:13 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.

Ah sorry this took so long for me to respond, here's the link https://mega.nz/file/H5MWgKKI#WvD494Fn_ ... unhB-JXu7A hope this works

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 8:57 pm

That worked for the Resolve log, but no NFO file. Really need the NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Satchellfise

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 10:29 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:That worked for the Resolve log, but no NFO file. Really need the NFO file.

Ah duh, sorry there it is https://mega.nz/file/PxURhTTD#S1S_Oe1dn ... sCu328gotE

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 7:29 pm

Looks like you have installed the Professional 22Q2 AMD driver.

Install the Adrenalin 22.8.2 driver. It's been reported by others on the Forum to fix issues with Resolve 18.

When you run the driver installer, select the option to do a Clean install.
Dwaine Maggart

Satchellfise

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:08 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Looks like you have installed the Professional 22Q2 AMD driver.

Install the Adrenalin 22.8.2 driver. It's been reported by others on the Forum to fix issues with Resolve 18.

When you run the driver installer, select the option to do a Clean install.

Ah gotcha, that's what I was worried about, because Adrenalin doesn't work on my computer for some other unknown reason. Resolve definitely works when Adrenalin is installed but few other things that use the descreet driver will actually work then. I don't think that issue is a resolve problem though but I appreciate the clarification, it helps me try some new stuff I guess.

VMFXBV

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 1:40 am

Do you have Fast Boot (Fast Startup) enabled in Windows? That could cause all sorts of driver problems with drivers that need a real power cycle not be installed properly.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Satchellfise

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 8:04 pm

VMFXBV wrote:Do you have Fast Boot (Fast Startup) enabled in Windows? That could cause all sorts of driver problems with drivers that need a real power cycle not be installed properly.

I did have it enabled but when turned off it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Thanks though.

VMFXBV

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 8:28 pm

Satchellfise wrote:
VMFXBV wrote:Do you have Fast Boot (Fast Startup) enabled in Windows? That could cause all sorts of driver problems with drivers that need a real power cycle not be installed properly.

I did have it enabled but when turned off it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Thanks though.

You could retry a Adrenalin driver reinstall now.

There's also one more Windows thing that plagues AMD users lately. Forced driver updates with extremely old drivers via Windows Updates. Unfortunately, unless you wanna mess with registers, only solution is to reinstall drivers when this happens using factory reset or even better - DDU (with the internet connection turned off if possible).
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Satchellfise

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 11:53 pm

VMFXBV wrote:
Satchellfise wrote:

You could retry a Adrenalin driver reinstall now.

There's also one more Windows thing that plagues AMD users lately. Forced driver updates with extremely old drivers via Windows Updates. Unfortunately, unless you wanna mess with registers, only solution is to reinstall drivers when this happens using factory reset or even better - DDU (with the internet connection turned off if possible).

Reinstalling Adrenalin was part of my testing with this and yeah, no luck. When adrenalin is installed it's about a 25% chance on reboot that the graphics card is recognized. I've heard from other sources that windows can view it as a second copy of the same graphics card and it screws up from there. Is there any way of telling when old drivers are being installed/how to make sure this doesn't happen? Hard to say if that's the issue but I feel like I've tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers and it doesn't seem to change what drivers are being installed or not, it just does it on batch. No worries if not, my next idea is probably just to refund the amd driver cause so many things seem to go wrong with it and try something else.

VMFXBV

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 12:18 pm

Satchellfise wrote: Is there any way of telling when old drivers are being installed/how to make sure this doesn't happen?

Usually when this happens the Adrenalin control panel stops working.

If the card isn't recognized it sounds like other issues than drivers. Are you using 2 separate cables from your PSU to power it? Is your bios set to PCIe 4.0 (or alternatively to 3.0) for the graphics card slot?

But until you do a hardware check (if you want to that is), you could try using Display Driver Uninstaller tool in Safe Mode to get rid of every bit of old drivers that might plague new installs.

Then do another fresh install. This is a different tool than the built in clean install. Google "DDU". There are also some tutorials on youtube if you don't know how to restart in Safe Mode.

My advice would be if you go this route, have Adrenalin handy already downloaded) and close your internet connection while you do the fresh install to prevent Windows from installing what driver it wants. Also depending on what you choose in DDU, it might also strip all your chipset drivers so it would be a good idea to reinstall them as well. (If you have an AMD cpu).

If this doesn't work it sounds like some other issues.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Satchellfise

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 5:39 pm

This actually seemed to work (well this and some other stuff like updates, time, and fiddling with the internals) so thanks! Right now, it seems to be fixed. In the interum of no updates I have had troubles with other programs so I have a feeling that if it does come up again, it's probably something on my end, thanks for helping everyone.

Usually when this happens the Adrenalin control panel stops working.

If the card isn't recognized it sounds like other issues than drivers. Are you using 2 separate cables from your PSU to power it? Is your bios set to PCIe 4.0 (or alternatively to 3.0) for the graphics card slot?

But until you do a hardware check (if you want to that is), you could try using Display Driver Uninstaller tool in Safe Mode to get rid of every bit of old drivers that might plague new installs.

Then do another fresh install. This is a different tool than the built in clean install. Google "DDU". There are also some tutorials on youtube if you don't know how to restart in Safe Mode.

My advice would be if you go this route, have Adrenalin handy already downloaded) and close your internet connection while you do the fresh install to prevent Windows from installing what driver it wants. Also depending on what you choose in DDU, it might also strip all your chipset drivers so it would be a good idea to reinstall them as well. (If you have an AMD cpu).

If this doesn't work it sounds like some other issues.[/quote]

Return to DaVinci Resolve