Reinstalled 18 and Projects Went Missing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt Filburn

Reinstalled 18 and Projects Went Missing

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 10:26 pm

I reinstalled Resolve 18 from the Mac App Store and when I opened it, none of my projects were there! I've had these projects through several versions of Resolve, so maybe they aren't where the program is expecting them? Is there any hope of getting them back? Where should I look?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Reinstalled 18 and Projects Went Missing

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Were you previously using App Store Resolve? Or were you using Resolve from the BMD website?

They store projects in different locations.

And did you switch between the free and Studio App Store versions? They each keep projects in separate locations.

All part of the App Store Resolve fun.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Matt Filburn

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 11:51 pm

Thanks for replying! I've always used App store versions and always the full Studio version.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 1:40 am

If you were using the App Store Studio version, and you updated the App Store Studio version, it doesn't seem like your projects should have went away.

And just to make sure there's not something wanky going on with the version currently on the App Store, I had App Store Studio 18.0.1 on one of my Macs. It has several projects in the Local Project Library.

I selected App Store updates and let it update. It updated to 18.0.3. And all my projects are still there.

I guess one question would be, were your projects in the Local Database Project Library, or some other Project Library? Do you have more than the one Local Database Project Library in the Local Project Libraries list?
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 3:50 pm

Thinking about this a bit more, your terminology troubles me.

You say reinstalled, rather than upgrade. Why reinstall? Did you uninstall Resolve? Did something happen to the system that required you to reinstall Resolve ? Just wondering if that explains why the projects are missing. Normally in an App Store Resolve scenario, you would never reinstall Resolve. You would just Upgrade as new versions became available.
Dwaine Maggart

fbg.live

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 12:55 am

Not sure where to post my issue, but this looks like closest.
Just updated to 18.0.4 today, then went to work on a project: all morning & afternoon. Saved before quitting. Closed laptop, ran some errands, came back... no project. It's not in the cloud. I don't show any other databases available, my other projects that I did not work on today are there, but the one I spent most of the day working on today... gone.
When I look in Application Support file > Resolve Disk Database > Resolve Projects > Users, the only option is "guest", and in it are all my other projects, except the one I worked on all day.

fbg.live

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:10 am

Bizarre. Apparently, it appears I now have two versions installed on my Mac: 18.0.4 and 18.0.3.
The first time I opened DR18 after returning to my laptop, it launched 18.0.4 and there were two projects that I did not work on today, but not the file I did work on all day.
So, I quit DR18, looked all over for the missing project, posted my previous comment, then went back and re-launched DR18... but this time the project I worked on all day was there, but the other two were not. So, I looked at the version that had the file I worked on all day: DR18.0.3.
How is it that I have two versions on the same machine?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:22 am

Are you using Apple App Store Resolve? If so, have you possibly installed App store free version and App Store Studio versions? They would both install separately and have separate Project Libraries.

Or possibly Apple App Store Resolve and BMD web site Resolve? Again, those would install separately, and have separate Project Libraries.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve