Cinema DNG Raw Question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mattfezz

Cinema DNG Raw Question

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 1:31 am

Hi there, I have some Cinema DNG files. I am working Davinci YRGB and color managing in nodes.
When I set the color space to "Blackmagic Design" & gamma to "Blackmagic Design Film" - what are the corresponding settings in a CST? So far I have not been able to match a rec 709 transform.

I was able to get it to match when set to linear/P3 - and then transforming to DWG, but I'd prefer it to start log if possible.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 12.6.1 | Resolve Studio 18.0.4 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

shebbe

Re: Cinema DNG Raw Question

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 9:36 am

Match Rec.709 transform from where?
There is no difference in decoding to one or the other color space on the Raw Tab. (and then to something via CST)
However, the difference between decoding directly to a display referred state like Rec.709 and using a CST is that the conversion via the raw tab doesn't use DaVinciDRT to tonemap the image but a CST does. (unless you turn it off)

I don't know what your options are on your particular cDNG files but going to linear or a known log encoding with wide gamut primaries is your best option. If you only have the BMD primaries and gamma as alternatives, I'm not really sure which generation those are. Their names are super vague and they have a lot. Probably stick to linear/P3 or Rec.2020 or something and then use a CST to go to DWG/Intermediate or any other log space you'd like to work in.
Last edited by shebbe on Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Workstation: ASUS PRIME X299-A / i9 7960X 16c/32t / 64GB DDR4 / 2x EVGA GTX1080Ti / 2x M.2 512GB & 1TB

VMFXBV

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm

mattfezz wrote:Hi there, I have some Cinema DNG files.

Which camera are these from? If they're not Blackmagic Camera files and are something like DJI X7 cinema dng files, usually setting it to Blackmagic Film should set it in the camera's "native" color space (basically doing a bypass). And then in the CST you would pick the right space for the camera (DJI whatever...) or the right LUT.

I'm talking from memory here so I could be mistaken.
AMD Ryzen 5800X
AMD Radeon 6800XT
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

mattfezz

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 12:50 am

shebbe wrote:Match Rec.709 transform from where?
There is no difference in decoding to one or the other color space on the Raw Tab. (and then to something via CST)
However, the difference between decoding directly to a display referred state like Rec.709 and using a CST is that the conversion via the raw tab doesn't use DaVinciDRT to tonemap the image but a CST does. (unless you turn it off)

I don't know what your options are on your particular cDNG files but going to linear or a known log encoding with wide gamut primaries is your best option. If you only have the BMD primaries and gamma as alternatives, I'm not really sure which generation those are. Their names are super vague and they have a lot. Probably stick to linear/P3 or Rec.2020 or something and then use a CST to go to DWG/Intermediate or any other log space you'd like to work in.

Yeah thats what I was asking - which of the many many black magic film color spaces/gammas in a CST correspond to the singular option in the cinema DNG raw setting. I just could not get the "rec 709" option from the raw setting (or when using color management) to match anything I could do with a CST when using the log options - so I just assumed I was not using the correct one.

VMFXBV wrote:Which camera are these from? If they're not Blackmagic Camera files and are something like DJI X7 cinema dng files, usually setting it to Blackmagic Film should set it in the camera's "native" color space (basically doing a bypass). And then in the CST you would pick the right space for the camera (DJI whatever...) or the right LUT.

I'm talking from memory here so I could be mistaken.

Oh interesting, I am not certain what camera they are from. In the end I just used linear/P3 and then had a best result of with highlights (some shots had extreme sun in frame) using the VFX IO Linear>LogC lut (that was the color space of the A cam) and just graded it in LogC and all worked out fine.

Thanks for your help!
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 12.6.1 | Resolve Studio 18.0.4 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve