Saving a project at different points

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gred22

Saving a project at different points

PostTue Sep 20, 2022 9:02 pm

I just installed Resolve and am interested in moving to it from Premiere Pro. However, my first concern is around my normal Premiere workflow, which includes saving my projects with a different ending letter at each stage, allowing me to jump to any set of edits and resources to go in a different direction easily.

I tried that with Resolve, and had specified a folder just for my Resolve projects. However, I could not find a way to call up, re-load, open a previous version. And when I went to my Resolve folder, there was not anything there with the name I gave my project, let alone the various phases.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to do something similar in Resolve, please? - Thanks

Joe Shapiro

Re: Saving a project at different points

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 7:19 am

Projects live in the Resolve database. You can export a project to a folder and you’ll see it as a .drp. Such a file can be imported into the database but Resolve only opens projects once they’re in the database.

If you open the project manager you’ll probably see the projects you’ve saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

gred22

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 11:06 pm

Thank you Joe! I got tied up with a couple translation projects and just returned to my video editing. Thanks for such a great explanation, and so quickly - sorry I just now found it!

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 5:53 pm

A slight change in work flow might work for you here.

Instead of a new incremental project file, create a new timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hresna

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 9:11 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Instead of a new incremental project file, create a new timeline.

This is the way.
“Duplicate timeline” like every 3 hours or major revision or what have you. Way easier to keep organized.

John Paines

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 9:40 pm

It is *not* the way. Try that with a large project and long timelines, and you'll live to regret it.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 12:43 am

it's "a way"... there's more than one way....

i use it with large projects and mutiple timelines, mostly feature films, sometimes as many as 100+ iterations, and on every project
i have seven features in the database today, total of around 500 timelines, each around 95 min

duplicating + incrementing works trouble free in my use case, guess i can live without regrets ;-)

Uli Plank

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:49 am

Depends on your machine. I second the export of a .drp for those without a serious beast.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andy Mees

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 am

I also use timeline versioning within projects without issue, no regrets... but I also make a point of disabling those versions until I need them, so I don't bog down anything unnecessarily. I don't think the workflow needs to be machine specific. To be fair, like any sane person, I also export a backup DRP at the end of each day... and at key moments when I'm feeling jumpy. :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve