Apply same mask to multiple clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ethan Inspired

Apply same mask to multiple clips

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 1:43 am

Hey, I've been video editing for a while but am relatively new to DaVinci. I've looked around but can't find what I'm looking for.
I have multiple clips, and I want to apply the same mask to all of them, using the colour tab.
However, I don't think using an adjustment layer works for what I need, because on some of my clips I want to be able to keyframe and manipulate the mask after I've applied the same mask to all the clips. This is because all my clips have the same base mask, but in some clips an arm reaches outside of the original mask and I would need to animate the mask changing shape on those occasions.

I haven't found a way to do this, is this possible?

Sander de Regt

Re: Apply same mask to multiple clips

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:46 am

You're probably better off in cases like that by adding another mask that subtracts from (or adds to) the original mask. This way you can keep your basic masks intact, but you can make per clip adjustments if needed.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

iddos-l

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 12:21 pm

Can think of two ways.
You can create a group oof all the clips you want to add the mask. Then, you can collapse the group to add the node with the mask to all the clips. You can choose pre or post for adding the node before or after any existing nodes on local clips.
Or you can save a grade with the mask in the memory then choose the clips you want and right click the grade and choose append grade. This will only add the mask at the end of your node tree for all the clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethan Inspired

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 2:04 am

Oh awesome, thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve