In & Out point check via XML Import

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dbsrb432

In & Out point check via XML Import

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 11:41 am

I usually set in & out point on the iPad using the app "lumafusion"
Lumafusion, combined with apple pencil, as far as i know, is the best solution to add in and out points to thousands of clips.
I only use lumafusion to add in and out points and nothing else.
Basically, my workflow is

1. add in out points via lumafusion
2. place all clips in the lumafusion timeline
3. import the xml from the app to davinci resolve
4. reorder? and

Once I place every clip on to the timeline and export it via XML and import the timeline to Resolve,
I don't get the in & out markers on the clip (that transparent bar in the media pool)
https://imgur.com/a/wGu2lEm

So I need a method of adding the those white bars automatically to all clips because it's way easier to reorder clips from the media pool than the timeline.

If there's no easy way of doing this, i'd be doomed :D
I can code do some davinci api stuff but i haven't been able to come up with a clever way of doing this.
Maybe I can create an on screen macro or keyboard macro?
or maybe modify the xml file ?
create a script that cuts does this by api reading the xml file in and out points?

THanks all!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: In & Out point check via XML Import

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 2:08 am

Why can’t u add I/O in the media pool in resolve?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

dbsrb432

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 3:34 am

Oh i can do that but i want resolve to set the in out points automatically, matching the clip usage point in the timeline.
Its just that when i import an xml, the in out points (the transparent ones) are not marked in the media pool but only the red bar indicator that shows where the clip is used in the timeline.

Peter Cave

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:18 am

If you drag the clips from the timeline to a new empty bin, you will get new instances of the clips with the in and out marks visible in the media pool thumbnail. This may not help if you have already organised your media into many different bins!
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

dbsrb432

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 1:35 pm

Peter Cave wrote:If you drag the clips from the timeline to a new empty bin, you will get new instances of the clips with the in and out marks visible in the media pool thumbnail. This may not help if you have already organised your media into many different bins!

That’s got to be the most beautiful answer that I’ve ever heard this week! Thanks Pete are you saved me doom!

Return to DaVinci Resolve