Micro panel not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ivolino

Micro panel not working

PostSat Mar 12, 2022 7:43 am

I bough a new micro panel. It's working for a minute and then stops working. Is there a firmware update?

I use it on a M1 MacBook.

Last edited by ivolino on Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB Ram

DaVinci Resolve Studio

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Micro panel not working

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 2:13 am

Run the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app thats in the DaVinci Resolve app folder and see if it needs an update.

I'd also verify the cable is correctly connected, it is direct or through a hub?
If that doesn't work, generate logs from the help menu and post them here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

ivolino

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 6:08 am

It's says Version 2.0, Build cpu:ca51023a. It's directly connected.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220314-070827.zip
(279.72 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB Ram

DaVinci Resolve Studio

dirk-pel

PostMon Mar 14, 2022 7:59 am

Hi Ivo,
I have also a MacBook Pro M1 MAX and here no problem. I used a hub and also direct to the USB-C from the Mac, no problem.
Davinci Resolve 19 Beta Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

cmgallego

PostFri Jun 10, 2022 9:31 am

Same here.. I opened the DaVinci panel App and clicked on Reset Factory Defaults, after that, the app detect the panel but DaVinci just doesn't respond to any button on panel :oops: :? :(

reijean

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:50 pm

Same issue as well. Micro Panel works perfectly on my Windows machine. On the M1 Max with Resolve 18b5 it will work for two seconds when the program is started and then won't respond thereafter. Control Panel Setup has no trouble recognizing the panel. Has anyone resolved this issue yet?

Joelarvidsson

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 1:40 pm

I went from 18.0.1 wich is buggy as... to 18.0.2 hoping the sluginess and crashes/freezes should solve. But instead the micro panel stopped working. Its lit and show up in davinci. But it does not control the program. Will desperately reinstall the full system hoping to getting it to work. Feels like I got premiere since version 18. Totally unreliable.
Resolve Studio 18.5, Studio driver 536.99
Supermicro 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.10GHz processors. 64GB ram. GTX 1080Ti GPU Samsung PM893 SSD for system, Intel ssd for cache. Windows 10 pro. Qnap gnap TS-1685 for media. 925MB/s & 1062MB/s

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 3:37 pm

What OS are you using?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Joelarvidsson

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 5:36 am

Sorry if Im hijacking the thread in any way. Im on windows 10 professional. I see bmdpaneld.exe in the davinci resolve map. Is this the DaVinci panel App? Nothing happens when I dubbel click it.
Supermicro 2 Intel Xeon E5-2687W 3.10GHz processors. 64GB ram. GTX 1080Ti GPU Samsung PM893 SSD for system, Intel ssd for cache. Windows 10 pro. Qnap gnap TS-1685 for media. 925MB/s & 1062MB/s

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 4:48 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "davinci resolve map"?

bmdpaneld.exe is not a user app. You shouldn't see anything happen if you double click it.

What are you TRYING to do?

If you are on Windows and you have the DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel selected in Prefs - Control Panels, and you launch Resolve and open Windows Task Manager, and select the Processes tab, and expand the DaVinci Resolve item in the Apps area, you should see Console Window Host, DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio and DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe.

The important thing is DaVinciPanelDaemon. That's the thing that talks to the Micro panel. If that's not running for some reason, then the Micro panel won't work. If that IS running, then the Micro panel should be working.

If you don't see DaVinciPanelDaemon running, send us a Resolve log and a Windows System Information .NFO file for troubleshooting.

resolve_micro_task_processes.png
resolve_micro_task_processes.png (13.73 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
Dwaine Maggart

Dave Andrade

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 11:47 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "davinci resolve map"?

bmdpaneld.exe is not a user app. You shouldn't see anything happen if you double click it.

What are you TRYING to do?

If you are on Windows and you have the DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel selected in Prefs - Control Panels, and you launch Resolve and open Windows Task Manager, and select the Processes tab, and expand the DaVinci Resolve item in the Apps area, you should see Console Window Host, DaVinci Resolve or DaVinci Resolve Studio and DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe.

The important thing is DaVinciPanelDaemon. That's the thing that talks to the Micro panel. If that's not running for some reason, then the Micro panel won't work. If that IS running, then the Micro panel should be working.

If you don't see DaVinciPanelDaemon running, send us a Resolve log and a Windows System Information .NFO file for troubleshooting.

resolve_micro_task_processes.png

Hopefully a quick, related, question.

I noticed you asked another person about if the panel was connected by hub or direct. Mine is connected to a usb through a monitor. Is that, probably, why I see no devices in my control panels setup window?

Also, related to this, is there documentation regarding what was updated? (if anything, key related?)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 11:57 pm

That COULD be why you don't see it in the Control Panels app.

Assuming you are using Windows (though I have no reason to assume that from your post) look in Windows Device Manager - Sound, video and game controllers: If the Micro panel is being detected by Windows, you should see it there as Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Panel Micro

If you don't see that, connect it directly to the computer and see if you see it then. If so, it would seem that the monitor is not passing it for some reason.

Nothing related to the panel operation was changed. There was a change to make M1 connectivity more robust for the Micro panel.
Dwaine Maggart

timtyler

PostMon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 pm

panel.png
panel.png (166.38 KiB) Viewed 9960 times
Tim Tyler
Cinematographer @ https://timtyler.com
Founder-Admin @ Cinematography.com / SteadicamForum.com

Joelarvidsson

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 9:58 am

I did a clean install of windows found the "Davinci control panel" as timtyler posted. Runned the update and now its working. Thanks.

One less issue with 18!

NickMDal

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 6:18 am

Updated to DR 18.04 build 5 and mine stopped working. Ran the utility, which suggested update and it's now working. Thanks!
Resolve Studio 18.6
Win 10 Home (22H2) 19045.2728

ASRock X570 Taichi w/TB3 AIC R2.0
ASUS ProArt PA248QV 24.1
2 Acer 1080p LCDs
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB DDR4
GeForce RTX 4090 24GB

Apple ProRes and ProRes RAW
Lots of fast SSDs

BMD Micro Panel

Memier

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 5:30 pm

I tried everything I thought of, but the panel is still not working.
Last edited by Memier on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:03 pm

Need a .NFO file. Open the Windows System Information app and select it's File menu, then select Save to generate the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Memier

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 6:24 pm

Here the File.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Memier on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:34 am

@Charles: If you select the Resolve Help menu: DaVinci Control Panels Setup, does the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app open?

If it opens, do you see the Micro Panel?

If you see the Micro Panel, click the icon in the small circle just below the "DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel" label.

That will open the Setup page. What is the Software version displayed? It should be Version 2.0. If it's not 2.0, it should ask you to update the software, and you should let it do that, and then see if it will control Resolve.

If all that looks OK, but it's still not controlling Resolve, open the Windows Task Manager. In the Processes tab, select the > arrow to the left of DaVinci Resolve. There should be multiple processes running under the main DaVinci Resolve process. What processes do you have running there?
Dwaine Maggart

Memier

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 6:56 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@Charles: If you select the Resolve Help menu: DaVinci Control Panels Setup, does the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app open?

If it opens, do you see the Micro Panel?

If you see the Micro Panel, click the icon in the small circle just below the "DaVinci Resolve Micro Panel" label.

That will open the Setup page. What is the Software version displayed? It should be Version 2.0. If it's not 2.0, it should ask you to update the software, and you should let it do that, and then see if it will control Resolve.

If all that looks OK, but it's still not controlling Resolve, open the Windows Task Manager. In the Processes tab, select the > arrow to the left of DaVinci Resolve. There should be multiple processes running under the main DaVinci Resolve process. What processes do you have running there?

Hi Dwaine,
I cannot open the DaVinci control panels setup app from the help Menu.
But I can open it from windows and I get : Version 2.0, Build cpu:ca51023a
And in the Task manager the processes are "DaVinci Resolve" and "FusionScript service for Fusion Studio" only

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 7:45 am

OK, that would be the issue. There should be a DaVinciPanelDaemon process running as well. If that daemon is not running, the Control panel app won't open from the Resolve Help menu and the panel can't communicate with the Resolve app.

The log shows that Resolve tries to start DaVinciPanelDaemon but that it fails to start.

And my best guess as to what's causing it to fail to start is your DAEMON Tools Lite app. Open Windows Task Manager and select the Startup tab, then right click DAEMON Tools Lite and select Disable, then reboot Windows. Then launch Resolve, and check Task Manager - Processes - DaVinci Resolve, and see if the DaVinciPanelDaemon process is running. If it is, then your panel should work.

If it isn't, grab another .NFO file and send that.
Dwaine Maggart

Memier

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 9:24 am

I even uninstall daemon tool Lite but I still don't have DaVinciPanelDaemon process in the task manager.

Here a new NFO
Last edited by Memier on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Memier

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 9:29 am

OK I found the issue, the process was seen as a malware by my antivirus.
It's working now !

thanks for your help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:21 pm

That was the Avast package? Thanks for the feedback. I think that's the first time I've seen Avast flag that process as malware. If it's happened to you, I'm sure it will happen to someone else.

Do you know what version of Avast you have?
Dwaine Maggart

Memier

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:47 pm

Yes Avast.
program version: 22.9.6034 (build 22.9.7554.734)
Virus definition version: 221004-4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 6:23 pm

Thanks!
Dwaine Maggart

STLKR films

PostThu May 11, 2023 8:55 am

Hi I think I'm having the same issue. I cannot open the DaVinci control panels setup app from the help Menu, but I can open it from windows. And also Avast is on my PC.

How do I see if Avast is seeing it as Malware?

Thanks

Robin Doelly

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 1:14 pm

Since running 18.5 (I think) I keep losing my Micro Panel.
The panel seems connected - lights on and Davinci Control Panels Setup software sees it .. if I force it to reset or instal the latest software the panel does a slight blink ... so I feel confident that it is being recognised and connected.
Just after a day or so I find that nothing functions from the panel on Davinci - no response at all . I don't see Blackmagicdemonpanel running in the task manager even when the panel is working - but maybe I have misunderstood that, or it has changed.
I'm currently on 18.5 b3 I think that this has happened with all three releases of 18.5 but that might be a coincidence.
The only way to get the panel responding is a full computer reboot. Any thoughts, or an easier way to bring it back to life?
I am using a PC with Windows 11 operating system
Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Regarding the Resolve panel process not running in Task Manager (and the process name is DaVinciPanelDaemon), it appears we've changed this in 18.5.

There is no longer a DaVinciPanelDaemon process running to make the Mini/Micro panels work in USB mode. I'm researching more details on this.

One thing to check, if you haven't already, is to open the DaVinci Control Panels app, and make sure the panel doesn't need a firmware update.
Dwaine Maggart

sector22

PostSat Jun 10, 2023 3:42 am

Do we have an update on this for Mac users?

I am running on Mac Studio, Apple M1 Ultra, Mac OS 13.1 - DaVinci Resolve version 18.1.4 Build 9
DaVinci Control Panel Setup sees the device; however, no response within the program. The lights are dim. Updated to Software version 2.0
Professional Editor - London Based.
Mac Studio 2022, OS 13.1, Apple M1 Ultra, 64GB RAM

Robin Doelly

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 11:01 pm

Hi Dwaine

Thanks for looking into this. Yup I did the the panel update - although it was already 2.0 ... when you run the panel update the lights bink nicely - so I don't get the impression that this a USB PC issue . The panel seems to be nicely connected to the PC, also seems to work just fine after a full re-boot - just after time, maybe of no use it seems to have lost touch with Davinci .. low level lights and all actions and buttons have no response.

Robin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 12, 2023 11:22 pm

@Robin: Please generate a Resolve Diagnostics Log file using the Resolve Help menu - Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop, then put that file on a file sharing site and provide a link to the file here.
Dwaine Maggart

Robin Doelly

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 3:32 pm

Many thanks Dwaine

https://f.io/2jrtwpyZ
Here is a link to
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20230616-162833

All the best
Robin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 16, 2023 4:22 pm

I should have been more explicit about the logs. Need to create the log file when the panel has stopped working. By chance, is that what you did?
Dwaine Maggart

Robin Doelly

PostFri Jun 23, 2023 10:56 pm

Hi Dwaine,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
So I am almost certain that the panel was not working when I made the log file for you.
Since I made that log file I loaded in 18.5b4 ... and the panels been solid ever since. Do you think that they fixed it? It was a regular fail, normally within half a day on B1, B2 & B3
So maybe we can say it is fixed? The only other thing that I did was updating the Nvidia driver. I always use the Studio Drivers on my RTX3090 Windows 11 PC

Robin

Robin Doelly

PostTue Jun 27, 2023 10:17 pm

Hi Dwaine,
Oh dear !
Me and my big mouth! The panel stopped working again.
So here is the link
https://f.io/WgDYg59t
This log is definitely taken when the panel is unresponsive. Also, there's some added context for you.

I was using the panel and all was good when Davinci crashed ( I don't think anything to do with the panel - more down to me trying to make changes to a shot that has some Neat video plugin and a bit of GenArts with quite a bit going on ).
After relaunching Davinci the Micro Panel wasn't working, I tried multiple times to relaunch, checked in task manager that davinci was properly killed - but I couldn't get the micro panel back until after I had done a complete PC re-boot.
This suggests that Davinci service can be killed by a crash and does not get to run until after a full boot up, or maybe it is a Windows service, but nothing else seems at fault on the system. the crash and attempts to run Davinci should be right at near the end of the log for ya .

All the best
Robin

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 2:05 am

Just to confirm, you were using the project you sent the log from for about 35 minutes before you generated the log? And the Micro panel was never working in that project in the 35 minutes before you generated the log?

Panel was properly detected at startup, and all looks well from the log point of view.

In Resolve 18.5, the panel control stuff is all done within the app. There are no separate apps or services related to panel operation. As opposed to earlier Resolve code, where there was a separate panel process running.

Next time this happens, open the Windows Device Manager, and see if the panel is still shown in the Sound, video and game controllers area. Actually, look at that while the panel is working, so you see what normal is, then check when the panel is not working, and see if it's still there.
Dwaine Maggart

Robin Doelly

PostWed Aug 02, 2023 1:26 pm

HI Dwaine

The Micro panel has stopped again, this time with the new non beta 18.5 software .

https://f.io/Yd8KUbqU

I made a Davinci log for you with the panel Definitely completely unresponsive, also some screenshots of the device manager - everything looks ok, lights on solid connection but just no response to any button press, trackball moving etc.

As before the only way that I could get the panel back was through a complete full system reboot and then it seems to function perfectly

Many thanks
Robin

hypemovies

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 10:16 pm

Hi there,

I also have a problem with my micro panel , since the 18.5 update

Mac OS Big Sur, Davinci 18.5 , micro panel version 2.0 , and my Color Wheels acts strange..like inversed :shock:
if I go up, it goes left, if I go right, it goes down...

For exemple, if I want to put some red, so go up , the color goes to the left , toward yelloh .. etc

Did someone had this problem before ?

Thks a lot

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 10:23 pm

In Resolve Preferences - User - Control Panels, there is a Grading style selection: DaVinci and Rank. If that selection has changed, it would create the issue you describe. Try selecting the other setting from what's currently selected and see if that solves the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

hypemovies

PostThu Aug 03, 2023 10:35 pm

it worked !
Many thanks Dwaine !

Chris Mierzwinski

PostSat Oct 07, 2023 3:16 am

Slightly off micro panel not working topic. Is there a what's new or change list for the various micro panel firmwares somewhere live for resolve?
Resolve 19 Beta Studio
MICRO PANEL
ASUS ProArt PA329CV 32" Monitor
intel i9 7900x 10 core
Nvidia 1080ti
win 10 pro
64GB ram
m.2 2TB of nvme scratch disk

STLKR films

PostMon Oct 30, 2023 12:03 pm

Hi Dwaine,

My panel is still not working. The control Panel App does see my Micropanel, nut can't start the Control Panel App from the help tab in Resolve. Here my log. Hope you can help me.

https://we.tl/t-wvqO7AkP4J

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 31, 2023 4:51 pm

Also need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

Open the Windows System Information app, and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

STLKR films

PostWed Nov 01, 2023 9:36 am

Hi sorry, thanks! Here you go
https://we.tl/t-wdbNq1wIj1

Jorgelol

PostWed Nov 01, 2023 7:53 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Also need a Windows System Information .NFO file.

Open the Windows System Information app, and select its File - Save menu to create the .NFO file.

Hey Dwaine,

I'm having the same problem. My micro panel connects no problem to my Asus ProArt Studiobook. But when I try connecting to my desktop which is also running windows 11 I get nothing. The only thing I get is that windows detects the panel in the device manager. Nothing shows up in the panel setup app and of course no function in Resolve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20231101-145501.zip
Resolve Logs
(853.36 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Windows 11_George_110123.zip
Windows 11 Logs
(153.93 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 01, 2023 11:03 pm

Windows is complaining there is no driver for the panel available.

Go into Windows Settings - Apps & features and uninstall DaVinci Resolve Control Panels

Then run the Resolve 18.6.2 Studio installer again. It should give you the option to install the control panels app. Do that.

Now does the panel work? If not, send another Windows NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

Jorgelol

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 12:31 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Windows is complaining there is no driver for the panel available.

Go into Windows Settings - Apps & features and uninstall DaVinci Resolve Control Panels

Then run the Resolve 18.6.2 Studio installer again. It should give you the option to install the control panels app. Do that.

Now does the panel work? If not, send another Windows NFO file.

Just tried like you said. Even restarted after uninstalling and reinstalling and still no luck. Is there a way to manually download and install the drivers? Or is the panels app the only way?
Attachments
Windows 11_George_110123_V2.zip
Latest Windows diagnostics
(155.37 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

Jorgelol

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 12:45 am

Hey Dwaine,

I was able to fix it. Not sure if the control panels installer is corrupted or missing something in the 18.6.2 packaged installer. I downloaded studio 18.6.1 (same version of panel app 2.0.7) and the panel connected no problem. Also working in 18.6.2

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 02, 2023 12:49 am

Interesting. I'm glad you got it working and thanks for the update.

I'll try to verify if the 18.6.2 panel app has an issue or not.
Dwaine Maggart
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve