Pink Frame Glitch: GPU related?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Boekk_Resolve

Pink Frame Glitch: GPU related?

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:35 pm

While editing today I noticed a pink screen frame in of the clips. Early on I got a message saying "Your GPU memory is full. Try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of correctors". So, I'm thinking the two are related. I deleted all the rendering cash, after which the pink frame was gone.

How can I prevent this from happening in the future? I'm already working with proxies.
And if I don't notice these pink frames, will they be rendered in the final output as well?

Thank you!
Pink screen.JPG
Pink Screen
Pink screen.JPG (123.92 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Windows 10 Enterprise - i7-7960X 2.8GHz 64GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (11GB)
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2 - Speed Editor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Pink Frame Glitch: GPU related?

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:54 pm

Your GTX965M GPU only has 2GB of VRAM, which is barely enough to do minimal HD timeline work.

If you are using a timeline resolution higher than HD, you will get GPU memory errors.

If you are using temporal noise reduction, you will get GPU memory errors.

If you are using any GPU intensive FX like Depth Map, or Face Refine or Surface Tracker you will get GPU memory errors.

If you use Optical Flow speed retiming you will get GPU memory errors.

If you use high resolution source media, particularly something like Red media, you will probably get GPU memory errors.

If you stick with an HD timeline and HD media and single video tracks and uncomplicated grades and no Fusion, you should be OK.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Boekk_Resolve

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 6:52 pm

Thank you for your response. I will stay at HD timeline editing, until I've found a way to let Davinci use the second memory card. I have made a new topic about that. I do have a 6.4GB Intel HD GPU card, but Davinci won't let me select it in the GPU configuration. It would make editing way easier if I could use full 8.4GB GPU memory.
Windows 10 Enterprise - i7-7960X 2.8GHz 64GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (11GB)
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.2 - Speed Editor

Steve Fishwick

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 7:06 pm

Boekk_Resolve wrote:I do have a 6.4GB Intel HD GPU card, but Davinci won't let me select it in the GPU configuration. It would make editing way easier if I could use full 8.4GB GPU memory.

Unfortunately, you don't have 'a 6.4GB Intel HD GPU card', that is shared ram from your already small 16GB (from your other post) total system ram. I'm afraid your system is very underpowered for anything but the most basic HD work.

Return to DaVinci Resolve