audio cross dissolves issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

audio cross dissolves issue

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Hello,

I am experiencing a serious issue concerning audio-transitions inside davinci resolve.

Often, after some editing, audio cross dissolves/fades tend to get ignored by resolve. Instead, i can clearly hear a hard cut, while the crossfade visually still seems to be applied. The only way i found to solve this is to delete and re-apply the effect. This is of course not a big issue in a non-serious job, but after a few days of carefully editing a show which eventually needs to be broadcasted, this is quite catastrophic and demotivating.

It happens in both the edit and fairlight page with the audio "handles", layered audio and the crossfade-effect.

I did some extensive testing, but i cannot reproduce this on purpose, it seems to happen just from time to time. One time i can remember though, was after decomposing a timeline.

I am currently working with an apple studio m1 ultra, 128GB, using the system audio, in 18.0.4. But this has been happening in the last year in many other versions, wave files, mp3 files, embedded audio, etc, and on various system setups, both pc and mac.

What can possibly cause this?

Steve Alexander

Re: audio cross dissolves issue

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Sounds really bad, Rick. Posting here to track this issue - sorry - no answers.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Andy Mees

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 6:37 pm

Its a long standing bug at this point Rick, no idea when we can expect it to be fixed.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=79161
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=150591

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 4:47 am

Hi Rick/Stave/Andy. Can one of you send us a sample project which shows this issue. We'll need a project archive (.dra which includes the media) so we can reproduce the issue here. Also please point out the exact timecode where you see the issue. You can send it to us via dropbox or similar.
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Andy Mees

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 10:05 am

My production machine is currently running v17.4.3, Rohit, so I'm not sure instances of the issue on my setup are of much use to you. I'll let you know if the issue persists for me after I update to v18 (which should hopefully be soon).

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 6:18 pm

Rohit Singhal wrote:Hi Rick/Stave/Andy. Can one of you send us a sample project which shows this issue. We'll need a project archive (.dra which includes the media) so we can reproduce the issue here. Also please point out the exact timecode where you see the issue. You can send it to us via dropbox or similar.

I have to wait until it happens again. By the way, i also contacted support, did the whole .drp, logs, procedure.

I'll keep you posted.

Return to DaVinci Resolve