DaVinci Resolve 18 not saving issue?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dvignola

DaVinci Resolve 18 not saving issue?

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 9:37 am

I am new to DR and downloaded the free version of 18 onto my mac. Loving it thus far, way more than FCPX. Anyway, I noticed that sometimes when I go to save a project during the process of editing to ensure I don't lose anything, or if I am ready to close DR for the day, I go to save and it does not save. The word "EDITED" stay at the top of the timeline window. If I go to close DR it will ask me if I want to save and I'll click on save but nothing happens and I end up having to click on "don't save" for the program to close.

I noticed this more after I started using 3rd party audio effects plugins in my project. The plugins work so well in the project and that is the one thing I love about DR over FCPX so I hope I can continue to use them. :)

This does not happen all the time but it has happened a few times in a few days so I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks in advance

Reynaud Venter

Re: DaVinci Resolve 18 not saving issue?

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Any change selecting a different Timeline prior to saving?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.1.1 • macOS 12.6.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Console (DAE-3 Bay) • Fairlight Audio Accelerator • Intensity Pro 4K ⊕ Desktop Video 12.4 ⟧

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Yes there is a bug that causes this behavior. Best thing to do is export the timeline you're working on (as a drt) and then import it after restarting Resolve. Hopefully they'll find and fix the bug soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 20 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.0.4
macOS 12.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 03, 2022 7:03 pm

As Reynaud mentions, others experiencing this issue have noted that if they have multiple timelines in the project, selecting a different timeline has allowed them to save.

Or if they didn't have multiple timelines, creating a new timeline allowed them to save.

This would be something to try if this happens again.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

dvignola

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:20 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'll try that. I just can't believe such a basic function isn't fixed with a software update immediately. Saving your project is such a basic feature that it amazes me that this is a known issue and Black Magic has not addressed this yet.

I will say that I am new to the Black Magic echo system with being new to the ATEM switchers and no DR and I am truly not impressed. I have had issues with my ISO extreme, (I have posted in the forum), and nothing seems to get resolved now being new to DR it seems like it has several bugs and no update has been provided to fix them.

I feel like I made a huge mistake coming over to BM and I may just go back to FCPX.

Thanks anyway for your help

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:06 pm

BMD can't replicate the issue. They don't yet know what's causing it.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 4:47 pm

dvignola wrote:Thanks for the responses, I'll try that. I just can't believe such a basic function isn't fixed with a software update immediately.
I am new to the Black Magic echo system ... and I am truly not impressed.
I feel like I made a huge mistake coming over to BM and I may just go back to FCPX.
Thanks anyway for your help

It's always a tradeoff. My very broad opinion of Resolve:

Strengths:
  • Best of breed Color Correction
  • Best of breed integration between Edit, Sound, VFX, and Color
  • Young product that's in very active development
  • Extremely affordable
  • Developers actively read the support forum - you pretty much can be sure they've heard you
Weaknesses:
  • Idiosyncratic UI
  • Considerable learning curve
  • Immature Edit page - many bugs/quirks in core editing functionality
  • Documentation, while encyclopedic, lacks an index so can be hard to find things
  • Support is less formal than most companies - can't get a handle on bug reports or their status
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 20 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.0.4
macOS 12.6

jbrown

PostWed Aug 31, 2022 6:28 pm

I am having this issue as well. It always seems to pop up after I make some adjustments in the Fairlight tab.

Steele702

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 7:29 pm

I just lost four hours of work because of this bug... I thought it was saving this whole time :x :x :x
MacBook Pro (15-inch 2019) * Proc: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 * Mem: 32 GB 2400
MHz DDR4 * GFX: Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB * macOS Monterey V. 12.5.1

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 8:25 pm

4 hours? Nice. I lost a 2 week edit due to the 18.0.1 bug that randomly deletes your project. 18.0.2 supposedly addresses the issue but does not fix the broken projects.

This is not acceptable. These issues should not have been released. Maybe it's time for BM to move to a subscription model so they can hire the staff they clearly need.
Windows 10
i7+-8750 @2.20GHz
32GB optane RAM
8GB Geforce 1070
2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus main - 1TB Evo 860 SSD scratch
Resolve Studio 18.1

RCModelReviews

PostThu Sep 08, 2022 9:04 pm

A Resolve Studio version 15.3 user here. Just being smug :lol:

The reality is that every time I think "maybe it's time to upgrade" I read threads like this one and rejoice that although the version I'm using is *years* old, it is 100 rock-solid. The bugs are few and not "mission-critical". I've never lost work to a software failure in 15.3 and I can't remember if/when it has ever crashed on me.

People sometimes forget that upgrading is *not* compulsory whenever a new version or release comes out. Sometimes it's better the devil you know....
Resolve 15.3 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 (1709) 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Uli Plank

PostFri Sep 09, 2022 7:40 am

That's the version I keep recommending to folks with lesser hardware around here.
I really appreciate that BM is keeping older versions available and nobody is forced to use the latest and greatest.
The software may be free, but the hardware needed for smooth performance is not.

Resolve Studio 18.1, MacOS 12.6.1
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor

raymondlee306

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 2:17 am

October 6th, 2022. Updated to Resolve Studio 18.0.4 yesterday. Just lost 3 hours of work tonight. Hit save about 40 times out of habit while working. No indication it wasn't saving. First indication was when I hit exit it asked if I wanted to save. So I hit yes and nothing happened. Hit close, asked if I wanted to save again, hit yes. I went through this loop about 10 ten times then realized I was screwed. Never updating again...

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 2:20 am

raymondlee306 wrote:October 6th, 2022. Updated to Resolve Studio 18.0.4 yesterday. Just lost 3 hours of work tonight. Hit save about 40 times out of habit while working. No indication it wasn't saving. First indication was when I hit exit it asked if I wanted to save. So I hit yes and nothing happened. Hit close, asked if I wanted to save again, hit yes. I went through this loop about 10 ten times then realized I was screwed. Never updating again...

We have seen a few similar reports but trying to repo new cases is challenging.

What version did you update from?
Was this a new v18 project or one from an older version?
Can you post the .drp from this project?
When you opened it again and then modified and saved, did it save this time?
Can you try, export timeline, and save project as if you see this again, and report on this thread.
thanks
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

gavinkempphoto

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 4:42 pm

I’ve had similar problems yesterday losing work using 18.0.4 using fusion and paint set to clone, it kept none of the cloned areas. It did keep changes to the time line where I added more clips. The machine I was using at the time was a new laptop running the latest version of windows 11.

To try to get a different outcome I did it all again today on my desk top (that is about 8 years old) also running 18.0.4, doing exactly the same thing using fusion and paint set to clone, on the same footage and same clips it saved the it saved the painted areas first go. The only other difference is the desktop is older and running windows 10.

I have the feeling this may not be an obvious problem, and could be an operating system issue or a settings issue or an issue/bug with 18.0.4 and how it relates to some newer machines/components or the latest operating system.

Hope this triggers an idea for someone.

toosour

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 5:10 pm

I too noticed this morning I have lost several hours of edits. Last night's work didn't save. Nothing crazy going on in the timeline. No fusion etc. I have "Live Save" turned on. I just updated to 18.0.4.5 for windows 11 two days ago. This was against my better judgement since I usually like to let the new versions "settle in." I'm not offering any solutions or anything, just saying "me too."

Darryl

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 9:01 pm

To add my 2c worth I haven't come across these issues and I have used 18.01, 18.03, and 18.04.

Information for diagnostic purposes: We do events and over that time have ranged in length from from 45 minutes to 2hrs 15mins. We normally do a 4 node colour correction and minor Fusion effects, particularly on title screens.

Win 10 - nVidia 1050 - AMD 8 core CPU - 32GB ram
Darryl Severn
Darbeth Business Tech and Comms

Genres
Livestreaming, Conferences, Information & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, DaVinci Resolve
Panasonic HC PV100, Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 9:25 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:We have seen a few similar reports but trying to repo new cases is challenging.

Hi Peter. Have you added any debugging instrumentation such that, when this happens in the field, the debug log could prove more useful in understanding it? Given that this is such a longstanding problem, I'd think it would be warranted at this point.
Resolve 18.0.4
macOS 12.6

Mike Warren

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 9:43 pm

Based on my own experience and a few comments I've seen in the forum it seem this can be triggered by adding (or perhaps modifying) audio keyframes, possibly only in the Fairlight page.

And in case anyone here doesn't already know it, this can be worked around by switching to a different timeline and then back. If you only have one timeline in the project, create a new one.

I've seen this since at least V17, possibly as early as V16, so it's definitely not new to V18.

Finding a repeatable test case is challenging since it's so intermittent.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

ceccarp

PostSat Oct 15, 2022 11:35 pm

Wish I knew this a few days ago. Mine finally fixed itself when I downloaded 18.0.4 again, updated some drivers, and rebooted my computer. And the phone support was no help because I have the Free version, not the Studio version.

sabredunder

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 3:19 pm

Jim Simon wrote:BMD can't replicate the issue. They don't yet know what's causing it.

I've been struggling with this problem quite a few times now. I've come to find that it always happens when I try to copy the Master Bus effects from one timeline to another. It will not paste it, and then after that it won't save. And none of the suggested fixes works for me. But it's consistent every time I replicate the problem.

Regular mixer tracks can be copied and pasted without a problem, but with the master channel it bugs for me. It's almost always containing an Ozone 9 and Fabfilter L-2 effect when doing it.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 4:18 am

Can you verify this repeats for you and post the exact steps you use? I sure hope you're right!
Resolve 18.0.4
macOS 12.6

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 4:27 am

Jim Simon wrote:BMD can't replicate the issue. They don't yet know what's causing it.

I have encountered it as well with 17. What I noticed is, about 5 hours into a session, I'd idly hit command-S and I didn't see the momentary hesitation I used to see. I checked the Project Manager page and was horrified to see that the "Modified" date and time was hours before... so everything I had done recently was not saved. Tried to export the session and got a warning: "You must save this session before you can export." (Was not using Fusion or Fairlight, only the Edit page and Color.)

Had I been thinking clearly, I would have started a new session and tried to cut-and-paste the timeline(s) into the new session, and I suspect that might have worked. As it was, I just crashed out, rebooted, and sure enough... the only session file in the Project Manager was the one from hours before. It was a one-time thing and I haven't experienced it since.

The other trick I might use is to export just the DRT Timeline, and maybe that would reflect the current changes. Hasn't happened again, so I haven't tried to replicate the problem.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mike Warren

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 4:35 am

Marc Wielage wrote:(Was not using Fusion or Fairlight, only the Edit page and Color.)

Is it possible you had done any keyframing on an audio track?

I've had it happen over a dozen times (I often use Izotope plugins) and the trick of switching to another timeline has always enabled me to save.
Intensity Pro 4k

visualfeast

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 2:04 pm

This has happened 2 or 3 times to me in v17, and doing the drt export saved me each time.

Every time I noticed it wasn’t saving thanks to the “Edited” text at the top, which turns yellow after I think 15 minutes then red after 30 minutes of unsaved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Desktop: Ryzen 5950x • 64GB • 75TB RAID • 3080ti • 3x Dell U2415 • Intensity Pro 4K • calibrated Shogun 7
Mobile 1: ZBook 17 G3 • 64GB • Quadro M5000M
Mobile 2: Inspiron 16 Plus • 32GB • RTX3060
2x Resolve Studio • Windows 10 Pro 21H2

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 5:42 pm

Again, if someone finds a set of steps that RELIABLY REPRODUCES the not-saving problem then BMD will be able to fix it - and probably quickly. So that's our job - give them the steps and it'll get fixed.
Resolve 18.0.4
macOS 12.6

Mike Warren

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 8:52 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Again, if someone finds a set of steps that RELIABLY REPRODUCES the not-saving problem then BMD will be able to fix it - and probably quickly. So that's our job - give them the steps and it'll get fixed.

I've spent over 2 hours trying so far without any luck.
Intensity Pro 4k

Return to DaVinci Resolve