Need Separate Render Queue like Adobe Media Encoder

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MukeshKhanna

Need Separate Render Queue like Adobe Media Encoder

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 5:28 pm

You should create a render software like Adobe Media Encoder so that DaVinci can render the time line of Resolve and work separately on DaVinci and the render will run in the background!! So that the editor can work on another project by applying render.

thank you

Steve Alexander

Re: Need Separate Render Queue like Adobe Media Encoder

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 8:37 pm

A good feature request. You'll get more traction by posting it in the feature request forum. In fact, I'll bet this feature has already been requested over there. Give it a +1.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.1.2 | Fusion Studio 18.1.2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (517.40, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Ventura 13.2

mpetech

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm

I hate background renders. The render either takes extremely long or the foreground tasks are barely usable.

$.02

iRedMC

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 9:50 pm

Surprised this wouldn't be in Resolve already, it's such a good suggestion.
+1
I have a machine for everything I do.
12-Core 2010 Mac Pro for old-ish stuff, PC for gaming stuff, M2 MacBook Pro for low-portable stuff, M1 pro MBP for high-portable stuff, 11-inch 2015 MacBook Air for general purpose.

Sven H

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 10:00 pm

resolve already has remote rendering functionality

Steve Alexander

PostMon Nov 21, 2022 10:30 pm

Sven H wrote:resolve already has remote rendering functionality

Good point.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.1.2 | Fusion Studio 18.1.2 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (517.40, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Ventura 13.2

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 2:20 am

And that's the better solution for the reason given by Dom.
Don’t approach DR with your preconceptions from another NLE.
Many features are better, some worse, most are different.

Resolve Studio 18.1.2, MacOS 12.6.2
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
and
iMac 2017, Radeon 580, 32 GB RAM
Speed Editor

roger.magnusson

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 3:51 am

It was a good idea once upon a time when everything ran on the CPU and you had cores to spare.

Resolve's pipeline goes through the GPU - always. If you think people are having GPU memory issues now... Double that. :lol:

Or make everything run at half the speed. It's not very appealing.

okiewardoyo

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 4:01 am

As theory, in media encoder, we can send a project to be rendered from Premiero Pro/After Effect. So we can do another project while rendering in background.
But, in practical, i never can do this, when media encoder star rendering, 100% GPU and CPU used by media encoder, so i can not do anohther edit in premiere.
May be becouse my weak GPU/CPU.
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
Home : (Laptop) Resolve 18.1.2 (Ryzen 7 4000 series, Nvidia GTX 1650, 40GbRAM)
Office : (PC) Resolve 18.1.2 (i7 Gen 10, Nvidia RTX 3060, 16Gb RAM)

Marc Wielage

PostTue Nov 22, 2022 6:05 am

MukeshKhanna wrote:You should create a render software like Adobe Media Encoder so that DaVinci can render the time line of Resolve and work separately on DaVinci and the render will run in the background!! So that the editor can work on another project by applying render.

We do this by paying for multiple seats of Resolve in one room, so we can color & edit on one machine, conform on another, and render on a third. They each have access to the same Project Database, and there's one networked drive that each system can connect to.

I can tell you that Baselight has "background rendering" as an option, but what they don't tell you is when you use it, it brings the system to its knees, to the point where you can't do any color work. So I think for a lot of reasons, using a separate system is a much more workable way to accomplish what you're trying to do. Either that, or just be patient and render everything overnight, after you go to sleep.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

iRedMC

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 1:09 am

"Remote" Rendering? How would that work? I start a render on my Mac Pro, but I edit on my MacBook? Might be kinda cool... especially if I use my 11inch machines more often.
I have a machine for everything I do.
12-Core 2010 Mac Pro for old-ish stuff, PC for gaming stuff, M2 MacBook Pro for low-portable stuff, M1 pro MBP for high-portable stuff, 11-inch 2015 MacBook Air for general purpose.

Sven H

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 5:02 am

iRedMC wrote:

"Remote" Rendering? How would that work? I start a render on my Mac Pro, but I edit on my MacBook? Might be kinda cool... especially if I use my 11inch machines more often.
read the manual. search for remote rendering.

ohimbz

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 9:01 am

Sounds nice but doesn't translate into actual productivity.

Your CPU, GPU and drive with the media will be busy rendering your project, you will not be able to properly edit while that render job happens.

Better take a break and come back fresh and have better efficiency when the rendering ends
Ryzen 5800X
G.Skill 32GB 3600 CL14
RX 6800XT 16GB
Resolve Studio 17.4
Windows 11

Sven H

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 11:11 am

ohimbz wrote:Sounds nice but doesn't translate into actual productivity.

Your CPU, GPU and drive with the media will be busy rendering your project, you will not be able to properly edit while that render job happens.

Better take a break and come back fresh and have better efficiency when the rendering ends

remote rendering happens on a different machine. the only thing that is busy on your end while rendering are the harddrives, and you usually don't even notice it at all.
we use it all the time

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 3:05 pm

I think Musetoiu was referencing the idea of the OP, Sven. Having a separate app to render on the same machine.

Igor Riđanović

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:09 am

Setup a second computer and use it as a remote render machine.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
MukeshKhanna wrote:You should create a render software like Adobe Media Encoder so that DaVinci can render the time line of Resolve and work separately on DaVinci and the render will run in the background!! So that the editor can work on another project by applying render.

We do this by paying for multiple seats of Resolve in one room, so we can color & edit on one machine, conform on another, and render on a third. They each have access to the same Project Database, and there's one networked drive that each system can connect to.

I can tell you that Baselight has "background rendering" as an option, but what they don't tell you is when you use it, it brings the system to its knees, to the point where you can't do any color work. So I think for a lot of reasons, using a separate system is a much more workable way to accomplish what you're trying to do. Either that, or just be patient and render everything overnight, after you go to sleep.

In pro world background rendering should be done on a separate "render nodes", like Flame does.
Flame goes step further and if you play something in your active project all background tasks (on current machine) are suspended, so playback is solid. This is a nice feature.
Background rendering on the same machine is always going to be a compromise. Sometimes it may work/be useful, but not always.

Return to DaVinci Resolve