Help Can't Open Project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jwvblackmagic

Help Can't Open Project

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 10:01 pm

I've been working on a project for several days and all of the sudden, I can't open it. It seems to load to 100% then just spinning beach ball.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NwhSCY ... sp=sharing
Here is a copy of the project exported.

I had project backups on, and I can't seem to open anything recent. Same issues, but I had no issues or crashes with the project at those times. I was able to get one that is 2 days old open, but I might as well start over at that point. Please help me, I have a deadline and this is urgent. I've been switching over from Premiere and had a mainly positive experience, this is giving me major pause on that. I tried the trick of creating a blank project then going to import this exported project into it. No luck. Same freeze on open. Other projects still open.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Studio
Model Identifier: Mac13,1
Chip: Apple M1 Max
Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)
Memory: 64 GB
System Firmware Version: 7459.141.1

Software
18.1.1 Build 7 (public release)

jwvblackmagic

Re: Help Can't Open Project

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 10:43 pm

Diagnostic logs attached here as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NyYFW1 ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 4:49 am

Hopefully attached is a version of your project that will open.

The **** Press Conference 03 2022_11_29 timeline was corrupt and preventing the project from opening. So the data for that timeline is deleted. You can select that timeline, but there is nothing in it. I would strongly advise you don't reuse THAT timeline, i.e. attempt to add anything to it. Make a new timeline if you need to recreate it.

Also, on timeline **** Press Conference Meeting 01 2022_11_22, you had Voice Isolation on clips 11 and 24. That seemed to be causing a crash when switching from that timeline to others. So I've removed the voice isolation from those clips. Add it back at your own risk. Did you initially add Voice Isolation using version 18.1? I'm wondering if that might be causing the issue. If you were using Voice Isolation on the **** Press Conference 03 2022_11_29 timeline, that may be what caused the crash that corrupted that timeline.

Now for my standard advice when dealing with corrupt projects: If you are working on an important project that lasts more than a day, make a Project Export .drp at the end of each workday. And keep copies of those off the main system drive. This will offer some protection if something happens to corrupt the Project Library, or the project, or the system drive dies. It also gives you incremental backups you can return to if you do something to the project you didn't like and it can't be undone.
Attachments
CorruptProject - repaired - sort of.drp.zip
Unzip this file to get the drp. Then Import the drp.
(472.46 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by Dwaine Maggart on Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

jwvblackmagic

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 7:31 pm

Dwaine,

First of all thank you! This is the right thing, however, the sequences that is corrupted is the most important one. It did have voice isolation on, and was likely created in 18.1 and upgraded to 18.1.1 it is also cut using Multicam clips that haven't been flattened yet. Just listing these as possible issues.

I'm guessing voice isolation is the issue, but I don't understand how it is that my backup projects (created with auto-save), are also corrupt. Even ones from before that sequences was created. This tells me, and I could be wrong, that even if I had manually exported daily backups, they'd be corrupt too. But I don't understand that as I did open and close resolve and restart during this time period.

I'd love to know what you did to open up the file, and also to delete voice isolation. Is that something that could be done at the sql lite level so that the main sequences could possibly be restored? Is there something I could do to send you older backups that perhaps are more salvageable than the regular project that I did send?

I also don't know where this leaves me with resolve in general. It certainly makes me trust it less as someone giving it a try after years of working in Premiere. I was happy with working in resolve, but this obviously can't happen, and in 10 years or so in Premiere, I never experienced anything like this. Maybe a corrupt project one time, but I was able to import it into a blank project and call it a day.

I do have an open support ticket with phone support, but I haven't heard anything back yet. I'd love a call to discuss this further if you find that ticket.

Also, would it be possible to delete the start of the sequence names from your reply, now that I've seen it, as this is client work.

jwvblackmagic

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 10:36 pm

Some backups from earlier in the day for testing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O3C59A ... sp=sharing

Marc Wielage

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:06 pm

Dwaine is The Man.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

jwvblackmagic

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:07 pm

Let’s hope he pulls out some magic on deleting the voice isolation without deleting my hero edit sequence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwvblackmagic

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 12:07 am

Any updates? I still haven’t heard a word from phone support and have started redoing the work in premiere pro.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:06 pm

Same timeline in all the backup projects is causing the issue.

I don't have a way to fix that.

Not possible to change that at the SQL level.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

jwvblackmagic

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:09 pm

Understood, and thank you. I (painfully) recut the sequence in Premiere at this point as it was a client project and I couldn't wait anymore. I still haven't heard anything from Resolve phone support on the ticket I have there.

I'm not sure where this leaves me with this feature, or Resolve in general. I can't lose days of work, and it makes no sense to me that I had been opening and closing this project many times, yet all my backups from earlier in the day, when I had been opening and closing, are still corrupted.

Do I trust this feature? Has there been any headway in exploring the Voice isolation and why it's doing this?

Do I trust resolve in general... I can't be sure after this.

Return to DaVinci Resolve