Best Mouse to Use For DaVinci 18

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

scot.parker

Best Mouse to Use For DaVinci 18

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:34 pm

As a newbie, I'm curious on what other editors use for a mouse? I'm currently using the default Apple mouse on my iMac and considering something else. I don't use any of the BM keyboards or studio panels.
Thanks

Marc Wielage

Re: Best Mouse to Use For DaVinci 18

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:20 am

I've been using the HP X500 mouse with Resolve on just about every Mac I've owned since 2010. The Apple mice (and other pointing devices) are rough for me to use with something like Resolve. The X500 is a very simple, cheap, wired 3-button optical mouse. Works fine. They break after a couple of years, so I have a drawer full of spares and just grab one and go back to work. $12 from Amazon.

marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 1:12 am

I never liked those Apple mice and got me something like this, which is also nice to my wrist:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Rechar ... 361&sr=8-3
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

RCModelReviews

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 3:00 am

Is anyone using a tablet as their pointing device?
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

jwvblackmagic

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 3:30 am

I use a Wacom but also got an logitech mx master recently as I was tired of the apple mouse and wanted more traditional buttons for resolve. My main editing is with the Wacom though.

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 4:57 am

scot.parker wrote:As a newbie, I'm curious on what other editors use for a mouse? I'm currently using the default Apple mouse on my iMac and considering something else. I don't use any of the BM keyboards or studio panels.
Thanks

Do your wrist a favor and switch to a large trackball. A friend of mine convinced me to give it a go many years ago, and I have greatly disliked using a mouse ever since. I personally use this, https://elecomus.com/web/product/3271/

EDIT: I have not received mine just yet, but you may be interested in this, https://www.tourboxtech.com/en/TourBoxElite-product.html
It is compatible with DR, and appears to be a decent interface.
DR & F Studio v18.1.1,Win11Pro, i9-13900K, 128GB RAM
GPUs:Intel UHD 770 & RTX 3090ti
Speed Editor, Pen:Huion Inspiroy Dial 2 & XPPen Artist 13.3 Pro, Elecom HUGE Trackball

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:18 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Is anyone using a tablet as their pointing device?

Yep. I use two different pen interfaces. I have an XP-Pen Artist 13.3 Pro, which is a drawing display. My system, and thus DR, treat it as a second display. The other is a Huion Inspiroy Dial 2. At first, I had a lot of problems getting DR to work with it. Once I got it sorted, I love it.

The real question is, "Do you like using the pen display or tablet better than a mouse?" Well, first, I don't use a mouse anymore. i switched to a large trackball years ago, and have found a large trackball is superior to a mouse in every way. Plus, a trackball is FAR better for your wrist.

So, the really real question is actually,"Do you like using the pen display or tablet better than your trackball?" The answer to that question is, "Sometimes." Unlike with a mouse, a trackball doesn't take up a bunch of desk space. Thus, unlike mouse users, I can use both a pen interface and my trackball at the same time. Matter of fact, I can use both of my pen interfaces, my speed editor, and my trackball at the same time. That does take up a fair amount of desk space, but I have done it before.

How does this help? First, it means, if you ditch using a mouse and switch to a trackball, you can then change up the question to, "Are there things you might prefer to do with a pen interface?" The answer to that is very likely, "Yes." As it stands currently, I frequently swap what interface I use. Sometimes, things are easier with a trackball, sometimes easier with a pen. I can say for certain, though, nothing is easier with a mouse. If you could upgrade just one interface...100% get a large trackball and burn your mouse. Don't get a cheap track, cause you would hate one of those. I tried a cheap one a couple different times...threw both of them in the trash within a couple days. Beyond that, a pen interface is nice for certain things. You WILL find there are things much more easily accomplished via a trackball.
Speed Editor, Pen:Huion Inspiroy Dial 2 & XPPen Artist 13.3 Pro, Elecom HUGE Trackball

Ellory Yu

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:36 am

I would not trade a mouse for a trackball when working in Resolve Studio. I use various input devices from a micro panel to a speed editor but the most used device is my Kensington trackball. It is sturdy, stays in one place, comfortable, and even has a shuttle and programmable buttons for fast access to certain functions like cut, copy, paste, play, and stop.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... t_Pro.html
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

wiliextreme

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 7:33 am

I found Logitech MX Master 3 to be pretty useful. It has second (horizontal) scroll wheel which can be used to scroll timeline and 3 buttons with gesture support meaning you can easily assign up to 15 keyboard shortcuts. Definitely worth a try if you're more mouse than keyboard/panel focused user.
mx.jpg
mx.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 2253 times

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 8:25 am

Ellory Yu wrote:I would not trade a mouse for a trackball when working in Resolve Studio. I use various input devices from a micro panel to a speed editor but the most used device is my Kensington trackball. It is sturdy, stays in one place, comfortable, and even has a shuttle and programmable buttons for fast access to certain functions like cut, copy, paste, play, and stop.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... t_Pro.html

That's another nice one! I have used one of those before in a ProTools studio I edited in. Really liked it.

Henry S

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:32 am

AnthonyReno wrote:
scot.parker wrote:As a newbie, I'm curious on what other editors use for a mouse? I'm currently using the default Apple mouse on my iMac and considering something else. I don't use any of the BM keyboards or studio panels.
Thanks

Do your wrist a favor and switch to a large trackball. A friend of mine convinced me to give it a go many years ago, and I have greatly disliked using a mouse ever since. I personally use this, https://elecomus.com/web/product/3271/

EDIT: I have not received mine just yet, but you may be interested in this, https://www.tourboxtech.com/en/TourBoxElite-product.html

Anthony
Can You assign (use) every button on the trackbal in Resolve 18 ?

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 10:26 am

Henry S wrote:
AnthonyReno wrote:
Thanks

Anthony

Yes, and there are a horde of them. https://elecomus.com/web/mouse-assistant/

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:16 am

Henry S wrote:
AnthonyReno wrote:
Thanks

Anthony

To be more specific...I actually went and checked...there are 10 buttons that can be programmed. All of them can be programmed for virtually any possible hotkey combination, plus several non-accessible functions (such as left and right scrolling)

Henry S

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 4:25 pm

Ok Thanks, that seems to be something to go look for, now I'm using a mouse + speed editor and a 2x 27 " screens, going from left to right is 3 times replacing the mouse, I know I can change the mouse settings to do that in 1 move bud that's loosing so much fine movements.
Thanks for scharing this info.
Edd

AnthonyReno

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 6:23 pm

Henry S wrote:Ok Thanks, that seems to be something to go look for, now I'm using a mouse + speed editor and a 2x 27 " screens, going from left to right is 3 times replacing the mouse, I know I can change the mouse settings to do that in 1 move bud that's loosing so much fine movements.
Thanks for scharing this info.
Edd

Interesting you should mention the movement across multiple screens issue. My trackball has a switch on it (not one of the 10 buttons). It is a three-way switch exclusively dedicated to changing the pointer tracking speed. With a flick of the switch, I can go from fine tracking movement to zipping-across-the-screen tracking. All the programmability this thing has is the reason why I chose the Elecom HUGE over any of the large Kensington trackballs (which are all great trackballs too).

Patrick Spadrille

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm

Logitech G600. The reason is simple : 20 programmables buttons ! When you have learned it in your body, your fingers do the work as fast as you think it. That's faster than a keyboard.
MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB Unified Memory. Internal SSD 1TB.

Aaron_Hayden

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 7:39 pm

Wacom Intuos Pro Medium for the win!

If you never used a Wacom before the initial learning period can be frustrating, but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back to a mouse again.
SuperWorkstation 5014A-TT
Threadripper Pro 5975wx / 128GB DDR4-3200 / RTX 4090 MSI TRIO / DeckLink 8K
Resolve Studio 18.1
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
44 Drive Raid-10 NAS

GalinMcMahon

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 10:21 pm

For me, I like to use a macro mouse. I use a Utech Venus Pro. It has 12 programmable buttons on the side plus one more right by the pointer finger. Then there's a switch to double that which is good to get similar actions off of different key combos in Fusion (i.e. programming ] to move 1 frame when it's right arrow in edit.) Granted, this doesn't help get me away from using a mouse but I'm starting to think that after all these years, that's not going to happen anyway. The only thing I don't like about this particular mouse is that it's a bit small and my hands are average sized at best.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Paul Draper

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 10:50 pm

Doesn't seem to be mentioned directly here but Resolve makes use of 'extra buttons' & in particular a third for zooming in the colour page. In any case I've used both the following & which I've found to be excellent:

1) the classic 'go to', a Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball, large & soild & always used to the the fav. in many recording studios I've worked in. https://www.allthingsergo.com/kensingto ... trackball/

then 2) I later changed to a Logitech MX Ergo Advanced Wireless Trackball. Smaller footprint than the Kensington, more features & extras, a brilliant device & works with Resolve extremely well. https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products ... mouse.html
MacPro 7,1 16 core, 192GB, MacOS 14.4.1, Vega II Duo. Antelope Pure 2 & Orion 32+, UA Apollo x8. RAID-4 Thunderbay 6, RAID-0 Sonnet M.2 4x4. MiniMon 4k, Dell U3415W & BenQ SW2700PT. Nuendo, Wavelab, Resolve Studio 18.6.6.

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:23 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 12:13 am

See above ;-)
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve